Reload this Page >

COMP STATUS OTHER AIRLINES

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COMP STATUS OTHER AIRLINES

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2000, 3:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, HH expired!, "Good Kid Club" (Silver)
I agree, Phil. UA just comped me Prem Exec this month, but I have since found out that they seem to have only comped me thru 2000, and that I need to fly 50K by the end of the year to keep it.

If I could rack up 50K in 3 months (and assuming upcoming flights were not already arranged), I would not have needed to be comped. -I was told via e-mail that, at this point in the year, status should be good thru all of next year, and I responded with my faxed AA statement and a letter saying I would not be interested unless that was the case. So much for that! (I am still waiting on a response from UA regarding this.)

(In the same letter/fax I also included my wife's AA statement/card and info. The initial response to my inquiry about me and my wife was to "send us a copy of your wife's statement so we can review her eligibility." It was in the same fax! ) Hello?

-KP "Sticking with AA"
Old Sep 29, 2000, 3:15 am

kidpachinko, I believe UA has a policy of extending comps for an additional year when comped late in the year. I hope your fax doesn't change that in any way.

[This message has been edited by MRLIMO (edited 09-29-2000).]
Old Sep 29, 2000, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Kidpachinko .. the gold CARD will of course say on back to "Feb 28, 2001", but in reality I suspect you are already pre-confirmed for all calendar 2001. Lets know how you go please!

Maybe you have a comment to add for Randy here at:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum97/HTML/000231.html

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Sep 30, 2000, 3:45 pm

1. Careful with comping. It is generally a once-in-a-lifetime deal. If you want to get a comp from every major airline as a power-trip, careful. One day you might move from Atlanta to Chicago, need a UA/AA comp, and regret getting comped to both airlines back in DL-Land (I mean the "Atlanta WorldPort") during a sudden power-trip.

2. Generally, comping is done two ways: More commonly, the airline gives it to you outright with proof of equiv status on another airline. AA and others do a "Challenge" bit where you have to fly X miles in a certain period of time. Generally with this you may or may not need equiv status, I don't know. How about merging the two: You get the status for the certain period, and you must still fly X miles in that period to retain the status. That way power-trip folks don't get it (as in the outright comping), yet those who truly deserve it don't have to suffer for several trips with it (as in the Challenge). I highly doubt I could come up with such a brilliant idea here on my own; I probably picked it up from someone else on FT who deserves the due credit. If you really want to know who said this originally, try a search

3. Ozstamps says:
To play the devil's advocate a little here (me???! )FFaddict has been around for 4 months, and surely must have seen many threads on this, as I certainly have. A first week user I can understand asking, but not an older one.
IMHO this thread was raised in the wrong forum anyway, and again after 4 months these definition things usually make more sense.
This doesn't mean he was active in FT for all 4 months. I registered in January yet didn't begin active posting until March or so. I probably only visited FT a couple times in that period. FFAddict has appx. 75 posts. If he makes about 5 posts per visit, that means he has only visited a mere 15 times in a 4 month period.

BB
Old Oct 1, 2000, 7:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally posted by ozstamps:

<gigantic snipperoo>
Yes UBB search engines are slow UNLESS you work in one forum only.
Dude.

UBB is Bulletin Board app, not a search engine. The software was designed for users with a fundemental grasp of boolean arguments. The fault of user-miscomprehension lies not with the application's engineer but with the forum's host ... it's up to the host to pick a user-groovy interface.
Old Oct 1, 2000, 10:17 pm
In Memoriam

Methinks all this buzz about comping in "other" airlines FFP is somewhat strange. Would you like anyone who did most of his biz with another carrier getting comped to your status with your FFP ???
You had been a loyal customer and did spend a lot of money and / or energy (mileage runs) to really earn your status, right ???

Exception IMHO, if you are a high flyer and really planning to switch your loyalty.But just for fun and / or to collect some more vanilla or purple cards ???

Comping = devaluating !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.