Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sun Radiation Levels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2000, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Sun Radiation Levels

I recently read of a US GOV Web Site which gave information on routes which are subject to higher sun radiation levels. This is particularly of relevance to air crews and frequent travellers. Would anyone happen to know where I can find this site? Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2000, 5:01 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
I don't know the routes but I believe that when flying near to the poles, the radiation levels are higher than near to the equator.

I also understand that this is an issue for air crews and that the exposure levels even for frequent flyers is considered negligible compared with regular exposure. You have to spend many 100s of hours in the air each year for this to even start to be relevant.

I'd be interested to hear more on this topic.

Old Sep 26, 2000, 5:36 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
So....20 ten hour flights? This is not so many flights...especially for FAs and Pilots....

Dorian

------------------
Dorian's Star Alliance RTW Price Chart: http://www.informationlab.com/rtw.htm
Blondebomber's Star Alliance Comparison Chart: http://members.home.net/deercroft/starall00.html
Old Sep 26, 2000, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I will let you know what I find out.

Originally posted by Danno:
I recently read of a US GOV Web Site which gave information on routes which are subject to higher sun radiation levels. This is particularly of relevance to air crews and frequent travellers. Would anyone happen to know where I can find this site? Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2000, 6:46 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
I found a link of sorts.
http://news2.thls.bbc.co.uk/hi/engli...000/557340.stm

I was close with my guesses.

Old Sep 26, 2000, 8:02 am
Commander Catcop

Thanks for the Web site link but just a friendly suggestion that this type of thread might work better under "general travel" or even OMNI.

COmmunity is really for Flyertalk get together announcements.

See, I'm being nice about it so I hope you don't mind my suggestion.
Old Sep 26, 2000, 8:40 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seems to me that CATMAN is always nice!

How 'bout the Civil Aeromedical Institute's (CAMI) Cabin Safety Workshops.

These workshops, conducted at the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, are designed to familiarize interested aviation personnel with important research activities conducted by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in the area of airline cabin safety. Our Research Division relies on feedback from industry in order to continue providing the most timely and informed research activities possible. Therefore, it is our endeavor to provide an open forum for exchange of information between the participants and the researchers
http://www.cami.jccbi.gov/AAM-600/630/600Cab-CSW.html
Old Sep 26, 2000, 11:21 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Thanks for the timely reminder, Catdude. I was wondering why this thread was here myself ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.