Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with 120k DL miles..Help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2000, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

What to do with 120k DL miles..Help

I am selling my house through Better homes and gardens real estate and they have offered to give me approx. 120k miles on DL, TWA or NWA.They won't give me cash back. I want to go 1st cl. LAX to CDG this DEC. What can I do to get the best poss. ride?? Is there anyway to use the miles on a ny other airlines?? Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Old Aug 28, 2000, 9:09 pm

US to Europe on DL is 80k miles (for BE, table doesn't show first class). If you are bringing someone, you can upgrade selected coach fares for 40k miles. I don't know if you have to fly a 'true' DL flight with these awards, as many flights to Paris are on Air France, a Delta codeshare / Skyteam memeber.
I don't know mileages for the other airlines.

Jeff
Old Aug 28, 2000, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply but I should clarify. I will be traveling solo.I want to go 1st but realize that neither DL NWA or TWA have 3 class service. Is there any way to use these miles on another carrier that might be better.
thanks again
Old Aug 28, 2000, 9:57 pm
RKG

pug007

NWA can get you to CDG from LAX via Amsterdam or Milan. (Alitalia or KLM)

[This message has been edited by RKG (edited 08-28-2000).]
Old Aug 29, 2000, 9:01 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I'd personally use the miles on DL ...take 80k and get a Business Elite Seat on a DL 777 aircraft to CDG. DL, like CO, does not have a International FC. But Business Elite is the best business class seat available.

After having flown DL Int'l FC many times, and now a regular flyer on BizElite flights, 6 in the last two weeks, I wouldn't spend the extra miles. You'd still have 60K left over, enough for a domestic first class ticket that you could use on UA or DL, and only 5k shy of a domestic economy ticket. Or you could use the 60k and buy two domestic economy tickets. I think you'd find the flight to CDG on a 777 in BizElite well worth it. You should check out the Business Elite site at www.bizelite.com .

Also, the best route for you would be LAX-JFK, JFK-CDG on DL because it would be BE all the way. Going through ATL or CVG would mean you'd have to fly Domestic FC to either gateway. The 777, along with the MD-11 has the widest seats of the BE seats in DL's fleet. If you are on a 763, the seats are narrower, but still comfortable.

Finally, while you could use DL miles on AF, they don't offer a FC award and you'd have to fly in Business. DL's BE is better than AF's Business Class.

[This message has been edited by jeffreyt (edited 08-29-2000).]
Old Aug 30, 2000, 12:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond . www.chicagosemianrs.org
I would concur with taking BizElite. FWIW, why not change destinations and use 130k (if you have it) and fly SQ to Asia. Lot's better than BizElite and AF First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.