Wiki Posts
Search

Northern NJ late July / early August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2000, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hello from the garden state!

I had a WONDERFUL flight into JFK last night but managed to miss the little incident in which someone attempted to hijack a National Airlines flight from LAS to Argentina.

JFK was enshrouded in fog when we landed and, knowing that my seatmate had a tight connection to LHR, I exclaimed in a voice loud enough for half of business class to hear, "Oh my, we came back to San Francisco!" Caused a near panic. It was much too easy.

I learned that a friend of mine from South Africa is in town and I invited him to tag along next Thursday. His name is Rudy and he'll be the one standing by the bar holding a scotch. I think the glass is permanently affixed.

So it seems that the total number of confirmed is now nine and "possible" is three:

Confirmed

LarryU
CATMAN
Boomer
NJflyer
Dsimon
Vulcan
E (Evan Fischer)
Akelly728
Rudy

POSSIBLES

DJlawman
DOC
KSA_USA
Old Jul 28, 2000, 10:48 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
give my greetings from Rudi to Rudy and ... I am soooooooooo jealous!
Old Jul 30, 2000, 9:32 am
Original Poster

I stopped by Arthurs and Sage Brush on Saturday to inquire about reservations for 12 or so people. Arthurs said "No", Sage Brush said "No Problem", so Sage Brush it is.

We are all set for 7:30 Thursday evening at Sage Brush preceded by drinks at the Embassy Suites at 5:30.

Oh, and CATMAN, Sage Brush has Sam Adams on tap. Is it true you have a slight predilection for the stuff?
Old Jul 30, 2000, 7:33 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I received in the mail in the last few days from Diner's Card a list of participating restaurants in their LeCard program. The Sagebrush Steak House in Cedar Knolls is listed meaning that if you charge your bill on your Diners Club card, DC will give you 20% off when they bill you.
Old Jul 30, 2000, 8:01 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

20% off!

OK, that does it! I'm in!

I'm coming in early, just arranged to meet at EWR Thursday morning and should have no difficulty finishing up and getting out there in time for dinner!

BTW- FWIW, are you sure that

1) the large group is no problem in terms of getting any applicable 20% discount.

2) this place is still good since they offer such discount!
Old Jul 31, 2000, 2:36 am
Commander Catcop

Another question: since some of us have Diner's Cards... can we all get separate bills to get the discount (and Diners points?)

No problem if we can't be points adn miles shoudl be shared!

Old Jul 31, 2000, 6:39 am
E

Wooo Whooo!!! I want in on this Diners Club dealy!
Old Jul 31, 2000, 7:23 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
doc:
The 20% off deal is done by Diner's Card, not the restaurant. According to the book, one pays the regular billed rate and when the amount is posted to your account, DC will deduct 20%. There are not that many restaurants in Northern NJ listed and luckliy, Sagebrush is one of them.
I would suggest that we see if Sagebrush would mind if we split the bill equally and just do 10 or so equal charges.
Old Jul 31, 2000, 7:30 am
doc

Sounds good Vulcan - anything is actually fine by me. I've not yet gone the Diners Card route, as you probably know, so however it's decided will be okay but I'd like to see someone get the discount(s) and miles even if I must pay cash!

Looking forward to the "NOT so mini" event!
Old Jul 31, 2000, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Ironically, I first "discovered" Sage Brush because they were once listed in the United Dining Program a couple of years ago. They no longer participate and, in fact, when the new book comes out every quarter, fewer and fewer restaurants are choosing to be involved with Mileage Plus Dining

When I made the reservation at Sage Brush on Saturday, I brought up the subject of payment by 12 or so diners. I felt it was too much to ask that the restaurant tally separate bills for each person so I asked whether they could simply split the total bill evenly amongst all of the diners. This would enable each person to pay individually and thereby earn his own mileage. Is this OK with everybody?

By the way, if anyone should want to visit ARTHUR's during some future get-together, please note that they do not accept credit cards at all.
Old Jul 31, 2000, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by doc:
20% off!

OK, that does it! I'm in!

I'm coming in early, just arranged to meet at EWR Thursday morning and should have no difficulty finishing up and getting out there in time for dinner!

BTW- FWIW, are you sure that

1) the large group is no problem in terms of getting any applicable 20% discount.

2) this place is still good since they offer such discount!
If you like *MEAT*, I think that the Sage Brush prime ribs are SUPERB -- good quality and a huge portion. I cannot personally vouch for any of the other items on the menu.

They also have a salad bar with some fairly interesting items, including roasted garlic . If you like to spice things up a bit, either Habanero sauce or Dave's Insanity sauce are typically available.
Old Aug 2, 2000, 12:22 am

ok , i am in.. see you all there

and i dont have Diners card .. so some one can have my miles/points or whatever it is

Old Aug 2, 2000, 10:42 am

Because of time constraints and some other issues, I am only going to be able to make it for drinks at the Embassy Suites. I apologize for the short notice on this, and I hope that it will not mess up the dinner reservation count. I will probably make it up to the Parsippany area sometime a little before 6:00 (barring any traffic problems).

I look forward to meeting everyone for the first time. I guess that I will recognize the group by looking for the assembled party next to the bar. Will I need any other clues?
Old Aug 2, 2000, 11:07 am
doc

Or check out some photos of participants such as at the very recent FAQ!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/001077.html
Old Aug 2, 2000, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by dsimon:

<snip>

I look forward to meeting everyone for the first time. I guess that I will recognize the group by looking for the assembled party next to the bar. Will I need any other clues?
When you walk through the main lobby of the hotel, turn left and you should eventually see the bar to your right. Please note that this is a separate bar from the one in the hotel's restaurant.

There may be other "assembled" parties by the bar so If you are not sure who (or where) we are, check with the bartenders, Nicole and Mike. I was disappointed to discover that the bar tenders I have known for many years, Grace and Eva, no longer work there, but I have been prepping the current bar tenders all week so they should know what to expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.