Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

May 5, 2018: 20 Years of the Current Version of FlyerTalk

May 5, 2018: 20 Years of the Current Version of FlyerTalk

Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:26 am
  #1  
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States
Posts: 25,021
May 5, 2018: 20 Years of the Current Version of FlyerTalk

Although the first version of FlyerTalk was launched in 1995, the current version on which we all participate and enjoy will have been launched exactly 20 years ago on Saturday, May 5, 2018.

Not long ago, FlyerTalk crossed the threshold of 700,000 members; and it is about to cross the threshold of content posted 30,000,000 — that is 30 million — times over the past 20 years. If my math is correct, that means that you would need greater than 57 years to read everything which has currently been posted on FlyerTalk at the rate of one milepost per minute.

To my knowledge, nothing which officially commemorates this milestone is planned; so I thought I would simply acknowledge it...
Canarsie is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:41 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Posts: 15,164
If you want to discuss this, anyone reading can join us for the Brooklyn Tour (see link below) on Saturday June 2, 2018. The tour theme has always been eating and nostalga.

Dan
jackal and FriendlySkies like this.
dhammer53 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:08 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 8,827
I think we should make t-shirts!
kirkwoodj is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:11 am
  #4  
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States
Posts: 25,021
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I think we should make t-shirts!
What would the message be on the t-shirts?

I joined FlyerTalk and all I got was this lousy t-shirt?!?
Canarsie is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:15 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 8,827
Originally Posted by Canarsie
What would the message be on the t-shirts?

“I joined FlyerTalk and all I got was this lousy t-shirt”?!?
Yup! With "20 years of snark" on it somewhere!
kirkwoodj is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:33 pm
  #6  
mjm
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Tokyo, Japan (or Vienna whenever possible)
Posts: 6,403
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Although the first version of FlyerTalk was launched in 1995, the current version on which we all participate and enjoy will have been launched exactly 20 years ago on Saturday, May 5, 2018.

Not long ago, FlyerTalk crossed the threshold of 700,000 members; and it is about to cross the threshold of content posted 30,000,000 that is 30 million times over the past 20 years. If my math is correct, that means that you would need greater than 57 years to read everything which has currently been posted on FlyerTalk at the rate of one milepost per minute.

To my knowledge, nothing which officially commemorates this milestone is planned; so I thought I would simply acknowledge it...
Those of us around since before the 1998 date was set up are growing fewer and fewer. Proud to be part of that group and pleased to see our efforts continued to date.
dhammer53 likes this.
mjm is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:26 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TLV now - formerly LAS
Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Posts: 7,357
The lack of preparation for this momentous event is indicative of the current state of this community. While I am only a pre-teen member of this site, I will gladly host an event in LAS.
Mrp Alert is offline  
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:44 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Posts: 15,164
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
The lack of preparation for this momentous event is indicative of the current state of this community. While I am only a pre-teen member of this site, I will gladly host an event in LAS.
I know of a couple of events taking place the first weekend of June in NYC. @:-)

dh - click on the link below for anyone reading that wants to spend time in the BIG APPLE.
dhammer53 is offline  
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:37 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: So Fla & NYC
Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 23,767
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
The lack of preparation for this momentous event is indicative of the current state of this community. While I am only a pre-teen member of this site, I will gladly host an event in LAS.
Vegas sounds good to me. Put it together and I am there +1.
monitor is offline  
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:02 pm
  #10  
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States
Posts: 25,021
I am currently scheduled to be in Las Vegas during Memorial Day weekend.
Mrp Alert likes this.
Canarsie is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:21 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TLV now - formerly LAS
Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Posts: 7,357
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I am currently scheduled to be in Las Vegas during Memorial Day weekend.
[MENTION=67100]baccarat_king[/MENTION] is throwing a mega zorkfest in LAS that weekend. It might be a good time for an event or in NYC or all 3.
Mrp Alert is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:38 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 8,827
Oz Fest will be on Memorial Day weekend too ^
kirkwoodj is offline  
Old May 4, 2018, 10:17 pm
  #13  
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States
Posts: 25,021
Today is the day: happy birthday, FlyerTalk.
dhammer53 likes this.
Canarsie is offline  
Old May 4, 2018, 10:39 pm
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 100,472
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Today is the day: happy birthday, FlyerTalk.
Shouldn't we use Colorado Springs time to determine when the birthday officially start? Alternatively, I guess there's an argument for Southern California time.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 5, 2018, 10:13 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 71,168
Happy birthday Flyertalk!

Cheers.
kirkwoodj likes this.
SkiAdcock is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.