Search

CHICAGO - Flyertalk Burmese Dinner Do - Tues Feb 27, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:27 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by P La Rue
As of right now, I AM IN! I will be sure not to schedule any work travel that week! As always, THANK YOU for setting up Willie!
very good !
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Tentative: I'm in, if in town that day and if there is room.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:31 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Oh I actually might be able to make this!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:39 am

I would love to go. But I can't. I will be returning from a 17 day trip to Madrid, Zurich, Singapore, Yangon, Bagan, Inle Lake and Seoul on February 27. Will be at Carnaval in Madrid and Chinese New Year in Singapore. Wife and I will finally get to experience Singapore Suites on the A380 from Zurich to Singapore. And Korean Air Prestige Suites from Yangon to Seoul, and Seoul home to Chicago. This will be our second time in Myanmar; we were there two years ago, became friends with our tour guide and stayed in touch using Facebook and Facebook Messenger, so we're going back to visit him (and bringing him a Bulls cap and Cubs shirt so he can experience the culture of a true world class city!).

There was a write up about this restaurant in the Sun-Times a few weeks ago, so we decided to go - that night. I can tell you a few things:
  1. The food is authentic. And delicious. Try the mohinga, the national dish of Myanmar.
  2. Our waiter was Malaysian, and there are a lot of Malaysian dishes on the menu. Had one, and it was delicious.
  3. There's not much atmosphere, and it's not a big place. But conducive for talking.
  4. We were there during the cold snap. They have only a single door, and it's a small place, and the wind kept it open a crack. So hopefully it's not too cold that evening.
  5. Paid with a credit card, of course. But when they gave me the slip to sign, there wasn't a tip line! I asked him about it, and he seemed confused. So I pulled out some cash and gave it to him, which he accepted. So perhaps tell him how much to charge (including tip) when you get your bill.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Looks very good - count me in
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Air fare is a little higher than I'd like but what the hell. When else am I going to eat Burmese food? I'll see you all there.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

OK, group cap is in place !!!!

This place is VERY small, I'm having dinner there this weekend and expect to be able to determine exactly what size group they can handle as well as come up with a set menu for our group.
@Mr. Breakfast, thanks for the review!!!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jason8612
Oh I actually might be able to make this!
Originally Posted by legalalien
Tentative: I'm in, if in town that day and if there is room.
ok, two maybes
Originally Posted by u2fan
Looks very good - count me in
Originally Posted by CMK10
Air fare is a little higher than I'd like but what the hell. When else am I going to eat Burmese food? I'll see you all there.
Two more attending, very good !

AT THIS TIME THE RESERVATION GROUP SIZE MAX HAS BEEN REACHED.

Edited to add: Dinner on Sunday night was very good, There were a couple of hits and some misses with the Burmese choices (there are only 4 Burmese menu items). The good news is that there are Malaysian choices as well and our group tried two Malaysian dishes, one was good and one was fantastic, best Malaysian dish I've had in awhile (which is saying something as I was in Malaysia in Nov). Looking forward to our group's dinner !
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Greetings, I'd love to join, please put me down as tentative as I'm not sure I can make it out of work on time to swing the hour ride on the Red Line up to Damon. Will look out for future events as well. Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:20 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
You can put me down as a yes. As of right now, I'm still in town and should be free that evening.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jason8612
You can put me down as a yes. As of right now, I'm still in town and should be free that evening.
Originally Posted by trapped
Greetings, I'd love to join, please put me down as tentative as I'm not sure I can make it out of work on time to swing the hour ride on the Red Line up to Damon. Will look out for future events as well. Thanks!
Hi jason8612 & trapped, right now the group size is capped at 10 as this is a VERY small restaurant with very limited staff. I will have a conversation with the restaurant next week to see if it is ok to expand our group size, hang tight.

​​​​​​​thanks,
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Willie, No worries, for now then I'll pass and just keep my eye out for the next one. Getting up to Devon would be a little difficult honestly.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
ok, two maybes
Down to one maybe. I will be out of town Feb 27.

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Feb 12, 2018 at 6:55 am Reason: fix quoting
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by legalalien
Down to one maybe. I will be out of town Feb 27.
you know there will be other dinners !
Originally Posted by trapped
Willie, No worries, for now then I'll pass and just keep my eye out for the next one. Getting up to Devon would be a little difficult honestly.
sounds good, hope you are able to make the next one.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, past UA 1K, Past SPG LT Plat, Hilton Diam
Sorry gang, I have to now rsvp that I can't make it. SO sorry Willie. THANKS for always putting these together. Best to you all. Laura G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.