11th Annual WineDo - NYC Sunday June 3, 2018 at North Square

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11th Annual WineDo - NYC Sunday June 3, 2018 at North Square

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Marriott Silver
Sorry I didn't see this before, I just went and bought a 2015 Pinot Noir from The Eyrie Vineyards.....but I'd still be happy to also contribute a bottle of Navarro sparkling wine if we need a little bubbly
Old May 30, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Changing my bottle to Freemark Abbey 2014 Ted's Blend. I will definitely also be bringing a 1/2 bottle of some type of dessert wine.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by owlwoman
Sorry I didn't see this before, I just went and bought a 2015 Pinot Noir from The Eyrie Vineyards.....but I'd still be happy to also contribute a bottle of Navarro sparkling wine if we need a little bubbly
Hmmm. Oregon Pinot Noir. That was one of my first loves. Gets good reviews too!
Old May 30, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update

2015 The Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir
"Mercurio Lot V" from Mercury Wine in Geyserville, CA. This is 100% Tempranillo. NV
2014 Freemark Abbey Ted's Blend
2011 Bedrock Wine Co. Bedrock Heritage Wine
2006 Carlisle Syrah Cardiac Hill
2012 Maybach Cabernet Sauvignon Amoenus
Sandeman 20 Year Tawny Port

I'm waiting for one more wine to be posted.

dh
Old May 30, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Sorry for the delay! We are bringing a 2009 Louis Roederer Brut Nature
Old May 31, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After discussion with wine friends, below are the flights:

Starter:

2015 The Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir

Flight 1:
"Mercurio Lot V" NV
2011 Bedrock Wine Co. Bedrock Heritage Wine
2006 Carlisle Syrah Cardiac Hill

Interlude:
2009 Louis Roederer Brut Nature

Flight 2:
2012 Maybach Cabernet Sauvignon Amoenus:
2014 Freemark Abbey Ted's Blend

After Dinner:
Sandeman 20 Year Tawny Port

For all the new folks joining us for dinner... this is a very casual affair. You're encouraged to get up and walk around and schmooze with your other friends. The way dinner has worked in the past, a short pour (1 oz) of each wine is given out. This is done for 2 reasons. The first is to get a taste and see if you like it. The second is that if you don't like the wine, it won't get wasted. Once a wine is poured, you can help yourself to a second pour. Please don't fill up your glass when you do that, as others may want a little more of a particular wine. I'll pour each wine as we drink the flights. There will be discussion. Do you like the wine? Don't like the wine. Care to share why you like/dislike? After each flight, we'll pick a wine of the flight. When we're all finished, we'll pick on a WOTN (wine of the night).

The aim for WineDo is to have a nice time, while talking miles, points, and etc (wine). It's a relaxed atmosphere. New folks will love the private room.

dh

Feel free to offer your opinion(s) throughout the evening.

There's still a seat available.

Last edited by dhammer53; May 31, 2018 at 7:53 am
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We're now 12 people.
thewayoftehfuture is bringing another +1. Wine to be announced.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Thanks again to Dan for organizing, and thanks to everyone for bringing great selections - all the wines were fabulous!

I will try to post some wine comments in the next day or two...

P.S. - for those who were asking, the 2014 Ted's Blend consists of 84.8% CabSauv, 7.7% Merlot, 3.8% Petit Verdot, and 3.7% Cab Franc. Grapes were grown in Rutherford CA: 61.6% Sycamore Vineyards, 38.4% Bosché Vineyards.

Last edited by HPN-HRL; Jun 6, 2018 at 4:47 am Reason: Ted's Blend info
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

'm working on my WineDo notes. EastBay1k said that there wasn't a bad wine in the group, and I agree. There were 12 of us for dinner, with 12 wines. It worked perfectly. WineDo 12 in June 2019 will have 12 people at the table. Dinner was more intimate with less attendees (and even with 12, we still have a very nice time).

dh
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wine Notes

I really liked having 12 people for dinner. It was more intimate, and we got a chance to enjoy the wines; without the usual rush to pour 24 bottles. This year we had 12 bottles. It was just the right amount of wine. Most bottles had little to nothing left over. I'm glad we did flights (posted above).

There were a couple of last minute additions:

2016 Alvarinho Deu La Deu
2014 Watershed LH Viognier
Castell-Reynoard Bandol Rose

Some notes:
  • 2014 Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvignon Ted's Blend - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (6/4/2018)
    I really enjoyed this wine, almost as much as the '12 Maybach Amoenus. Very smooth and delicious. Drank this at my annual Flyertalk wine dinner at North Square in NYC. I think the value is there at the price. Drink and be surprised, or hold. (92 pts.)
  • 2014 Watershed Viognier Late Harvest - Australia, Western Australia, South West Australia, Margaret River (6/4/2018)
    This LH was understated and elegant. It's wasn't your typically sweet wine. It didn't hit you over the head if you know what I mean. Drank from a 375. The fruit was subtle. If you don't like (really) sweet wines, this is perfect for you. Perfect for what it was. (90 pts.)
  • NV Mercury Tempranillo Mercurio Lot V - USA, California, Sonoma County (6/4/2018)
    I didn't know what to expect with this NV wine. Tasted really good. Sorry, no other notes. Drank with steak. It was wine of the flight. Go figure that the 'no name' wine beat the boutiques > a '06 Carlisle Syrah Cardiac Hill and '11 Bedrock Heritage. (90 pts.)
  • 2015 The Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (6/4/2018)
    This was a nice wine, but I've enjoyed better Oregon pinot noirs. A little darker than other Oregon wines. It was smooth. Our other dinner wines ie Cabs, syrahs, and blends dominated dinner. (88 pts.)
  • 2009 Louis Roederer Champagne Brut Nature Cuvée Starck - France, Champagne (6/3/2018)
    Drank this at North Square in NYC with my Flyertalk travel friends at our annual dinner. This was a delicious bottle, and somewhat pricey. Tiny bubbles. Somewhat creamy. I thought this was a special bottle that has plenty of life left to it. Drink now and enjoy, or hold. (93 pts.)
  • 2012 Maybach Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Amoenus - USA, California, Napa Valley (6/3/2018)
    Brought this to my annual Flyertalk wine dinner at North Square in NYC. If you're reading, I'd suggest holding. While this bottle was WOTN (wine of the night), it doesn't compare to the Maybach Cabernet Sauvignons I've enjoyed over the years. The wine is really dark, smooth, and delicious, but not blow-away like it's big brother. I wasn't able to take more detailed notes, but you get the idea. Drank this wine with a steak. (92 pts.)
  • 2006 Carlisle Syrah Cardiac Hill - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley (6/3/2018)
    Drank this aged wine at my annual North Square (NYC) Flyertalk wine dinner. It's a nice wine. Really dark. Sorry, no detailed notes. Drank with a steak. Drink or hold. The '11 Bedrock Heritage wine beat it in the flight. This got 2 out of 12 votes. The Bedrock got 5 votes, and a Mercurio Lot V NV California Tempranillo got 6 votes. (91 pts.)
  • 2011 Bedrock Wine Co. Bedrock Heritage Wine - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (6/3/2018)
    Drank this at North Square in NYC at my annual Flyertalk wine dinner. My initial comment at first sip was 'Oh!' This is smooth and delicious. It was wine of the flight. Sorry, couldn't take any detailed notes. Drink and enjoy, or hold for another couple of years. Who says the 2011 vintage in California wasn't any good?? (91 pts.)
  • NV Sandeman Porto 20 Year Old Tawny - Portugal, Douro, Porto (6/3/2018)
    A really enjoyable port. It was a red/brown color (more brown). I could taste toffee. This wasn't think and unctuous. I find that there's always some leftover port after dinner, but not this time. (91 pts.)
  • 2016 Adega de Monção Alvarinho Vinho Verde Deu la Deu - Portugal, Minho, Vinho Verde (6/3/2018)
    This was a really delicious wine. Smooth. Nice color. We needed a starter white at our annual Flyertalk wine dinner, and a last minute attendee brought this bottle. We have a $35 minimum buy in (verifiable), but since it was last minute... I hope that she didn't pay $35 for this, as I just checked on wine searcher. Could have fooled me. It certainly drank above its pay scale so to speak. I'd think about this as a house wine for summer drinking. Good QPR! (90 pts.)
I thought the Champagne was the best of the evening. Feel free to post your thoughts.

Dinner for 12 next year. Theme?

dh

Posted from CellarTracker
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Thanks again to Dan and all the participants! As always, a big success, but more manageable with a reasonable ratio of bottles to people. And having a smaller group turned out to give us a bit more table space per person, which allowed a more complete flight of wine glasses than in the past. ^
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Marriott Silver
Another big thanks to Dan, this was a first for me, very enjoyable evening and it was great to meet my fellow travel and wine enthusiasts! Food, wine and company were all fantastic!
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
WineDO 11.5

Y'all (et. al.),

It's summer, it's hot, it's humid, and it's time you'd all open a chilled bubbly with some nice aging on it and send me a tasting sample :-) While it is still very early in the schedule, I do tentatively plan to set details for WD11.5 in the foresee future. Since it has been very busy, it will take more time to get things 'settle' but we aim at the same approx. schedule . This will put Jan-26-2019 as a target date (That is post the far east pre-do, DO, and post-do at SIN).
I expect to know more in mid-September as I get the spring/summer to do list and projects completed. That said, I've been in storage and did some organizing work and I already marked potential 'candidates' for the party. Please enjoy.
dhammer53 likes this.

Last edited by DLroads; Jul 14, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I don’t leave BKK until Jan. 27 so I will miss this one. Enjoy!!!

Bob W
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After a discussion with a few of you, the next WineDo will be Sunday June 2, 2019.

No other details at this time. I'll post a new thread in January. See you at the DLRoads .5 dinner in January. By that time I should have posted the WineDo11 thread. For those wondering, BRT is still in discussion mode.

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.