LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XII, April 12-15, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XII, April 12-15, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Guess since I have hotel, ressies (Hyatt Fri &Sat) and booked my flights (in/out LEX), it's time to state that my attendance is confirmed.*

Looking forward to joining this DO again after a much too long time away.

Remind me, do we need to buy Keeneland or any other type of tix in advance?

thanks and see y'all soon!

*confirmed on my part though given my recent bad luck with weather issues and odd irrops I can only hope that these flights go off without a hitch.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bk3day
Guess since I have hotel, ressies (Hyatt Fri &Sat) and booked my flights (in/out LEX), it's time to state that my attendance is confirmed.*

Looking forward to joining this DO again after a much too long time away.

Remind me, do we need to buy Keeneland or any other type of tix in advance?

thanks and see y'all soon!

*confirmed on my part though given my recent bad luck with weather issues and odd irrops I can only hope that these flights go off without a hitch.
Glad you can make it again. Generally we do not buy tickets in advance, as our weekend schedule gets unpredictable. General admission to Keeneland (unlimited availability) costs $5. I think you can usually get a reserved seat in the grandstand for another $5 if you want a dedicated place to sit. Otherwise most of us just walk around and use public benches.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
It looks like I need to restock my liquor cabinet. Does anyone know of a place in Lex to get high-end, premium Bourbons at a discount? Or are they all pretty much the same?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Governator
It looks like I need to restock my liquor cabinet. Does anyone know of a place in Lex to get high-end, premium Bourbons at a discount? Or are they all pretty much the same?
Costco has the usual suspects at a very good price. Including Angels Envy last I was there. Impossible to know what exactly they will have. I will be making a run. They also have/had Bourbon Cream (like Bailey's, but better) and bourbon-barrel-aged maple syrup.

I have a friend who manages a liquor store. Emailing him now to ask him to hold some of the more unusual stuff for us to consider. Maybe I can get a list in advance.

Liquor Barn is probably the biggest store. There is one about 10-12 minutes from my parents'.Saturday afternoon would be a good time to go.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Costco has the usual suspects at a very good price. Including Angels Envy last I was there. Impossible to know what exactly they will have. I will be making a run. They also have/had Bourbon Cream (like Bailey's, but better) and bourbon-barrel-aged maple syrup.

I have a friend who manages a liquor store. Emailing him now to ask him to hold some of the more unusual stuff for us to consider. Maybe I can get a list in advance.

Liquor Barn is probably the biggest store. There is one about 10-12 minutes from my parents'.Saturday afternoon would be a good time to go.
Thanks Win. I'm not a Costco shopper, maybe I can tag along with you (or someone). Late Saturday afternoon sounds good, I'm flying in around 2:30 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
You're going to have to move me to regrettably unlikely. Too many moving pieces and too much going on in a short span. Maybe see you in Belgium a couple weeks later toomanybooks for the BBF DO?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
You're going to have to move me to regrettably unlikely. Too many moving pieces and too much going on in a short span. Maybe see you in Belgium a couple weeks later toomanybooks for the BBF DO?
OK, thanks for letting me know. Maybe next time.

Belgium looking unlikely for me at this time.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Does anybody know of a 2* hotel at CVG which has day rates? I get in on a red-eye from SFO at 6am Friday, and I won't have slept much. I'm not going to try driving CVG-LEX without a nap first. Ideally I'd pick up my rental car and sleep in from about 7:30-12:30, and make it to LEX in time for a pre-dinner beverage.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Does anybody know of a 2* hotel at CVG which has day rates? I get in on a red-eye from SFO at 6am Friday, and I won't have slept much. I'm not going to try driving CVG-LEX without a nap first. Ideally I'd pick up my rental car and sleep in from about 7:30-12:30, and make it to LEX in time for a pre-dinner beverage.
No idea, but I might be able to run up from LEX and get you. Only about 45 minutes.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No idea, but I might be able to run up from LEX and get you. Only about 45 minutes.
Hmm, that may work. Let me see what I can do for a one way rental Saturday night to Sunday night LEX->CVG. I think i still have a 12F day with National.

Edited to add: Yeah, I had one more 12F left, so a $15 Uber before Stella's on Sunday and a $5 rental car will get me back to CVG, since nobody else is going to have such a late flight as I do (9pm).

Last edited by ElmhurstNick; Apr 4, 2018 at 5:11 pm
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hmm, that may work. Let me see what I can do for a one way rental Saturday night to Sunday night LEX->CVG. I think i still have a 12F day with National.

It's a shame that I have to check a bag because I have a week's worth of work travel before the event, otherwise I could just sleep in the mostly empty CVG SkyClub
I can give you the U of Chicago Enterprise/National one-way code for $32-34 or so if you need. I think it works.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can give you the U of Chicago Enterprise/National one-way code for $32-34 or so if you need. I think it works.
nah, I need to burn this one anyway, I'm using mostly Budget and Alamo for leisure travel via Costco, so this one orphan free night on National will go to waste otherwise.

But it's more like 85 minutes to get from your parents' place to CVG, not 45. Maybe somebody else is flying in that morning and I can hitch a ride down and nap.

Not having my own car minimizes the odds of me ending up at Spaulding's on Saturday morning.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

nah, I need to burn this one anyway, I'm using mostly Budget and Alamo for leisure travel via Costco, so this one orphan free night on National will go to waste otherwise.

But it's more like 85 minutes to get from your parents' place to CVG, not 45. Maybe somebody else is flying in that morning and I can hitch a ride down and nap.

Not having my own car minimizes the odds of me ending up at Spaulding's on Saturday morning.
Yeah, I underestimated. More like 80 minutes. Let me know.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I underestimated. More like 80 minutes. Let me know.
I found a Courtyard at CVG (Florence) with a 10k redemption. I called the hotel and explained and they're letting me show up at 6am and check out at 1pm, so I'll be able to get some sleep and still be in Lexington by 3.

Thursday night airport Courtyard redemptions for 10k instead of in this case $119+tax for the cheapest Marriott/IHG/Hilton property with an airport shuttle, those are the sweet spot of the Marriott program for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.