Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 15 Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 25-27, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 15 Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 25-27, 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 10:43 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kpc
.... Ok....I'll bite first. Where will Oz Fest 16 be? I think we have just about exhausted all Australian cities / places, and unless we want to go to regional centres (eg Broome, Launceston, Kalgoorlie, Hamilton Island etc), we either need to revisit the main Australian cities again or consider NZ eg Christchurch, Queenstown. My 2c.
Of the 40 who attended 20 were from Australia, 15 from USA, 2 from Canada & 3 from NZ. The Oz Fest location needs to be where it’s not too hard or too long to get to. As about 50% come from out of Australia, international flights/connections need to be considered. Many of those from USA are Star Alliance frequent flyers who come due to the USA Memorial day holiday. With no Au domestic Star Alliance airlines it makes it harder for them. (JQ is not for every one!)

Regional centres like Broome, Kalgoorlie & Hamilton Island can very expensive to get to, even for Australians and/or have limited-expensive accommodation.

But every Oz Fest needs a CEO (Chief Entertainment officer). In the last few years this has fallen upon very few people. Usually when no one else has stepped up. The CEO often makes a trip to the location or has a good local knowledge of the Oz Fest location. And involves personal time & cost in searching for activities and in finding restaurants. Restaurants for 30-40-50 people can be hard to get.

A return to a state capital city would work. If for no other reason that a new CEO could step forward to share the work load out. A reasonable number of people who have attended in the last ~5 years have not attended an Oz Fest in a major city.

Originally Posted by Oz Fest
History Of Oz Fests click here for the map. SYD-SYD-BNE-MEL-HBA-CNS-ADL-DRW-CBR-PER-ASP-AYQ-KKE-OOL-NTL-MCY

Oz Fest 01: 2004 22 attended in Sydney [how it all started The very first]
Oz Fest 02: 2005
58 attended in Sydney
Oz Fest 03: 2006
28 attended in Brisbane
Oz Fest 04: 2007
47 attended in Melbourne
Oz Fest 05: 2008
38 attended in Hobart
Oz Fest 06: 2009
59 attended in Cairns
Oz Fest 07: 2010
71 attended in Adelaide
Oz Fest 08: 2011
44 attended in Darwin
Oz Fest 09: 2012
51 attended in Canberra
Oz Fest 10: 2013
59 attended in Perth
Oz Fest 11: 2014
37 attended in Alice Springs-Ayers Rock
Oz Fest 12: 2015
41 attended in Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Oz Fest 13: 2016 44 attended in Gold Coast
Oz Fest 14: 2017 42 attended in Newcastle
Oz Fest 15: 2018 40 attended in Noosa
<snip>

Last edited by Oz Fest; May 30, 2018 at 8:56 pm Reason: Changed number attended 41-->40
Old May 27, 2018, 11:33 pm

Back in BNE. I thought Sunshine cost a bit if a misnomer... perhaps rainfall coast would be more appropriate at least for this past weekend.In spite of thunder, lightning and rain, it seems a good time was had by all. Thanks again to the organizers.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by serfty
Melbourne! Only had it there once and there's plenty different to do ...
Maybe better chance penegal would be be able to make it if Melbourne. I wouldn't mind doing the great ocean road again. That and it's not too inconvenient for Adelaide side trip for me to go shark cage diving.

SYD would be good with Vivid going on, however it seems most OZFest people go there before or after the Do so it's a huge repeater
Bundy Bear and penegal like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Now at Vapiano down stairs but might move upstairs as it’s quieter.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Plat No 0010XXX, AA Plat 2 MM, Sinbad Blue, HHonors Dia., Marriott Titanium, IHG Amb
Thanks to everyone for another great Ozfest.
Thank you to Itsalongwaydown and Ozfest and others for all the planning to make it happen.
Great to see old friends and meet new ones too.

Safe travels home to everyone. John.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
A few stragglers at Vapiano's in Brisbane.

Old May 28, 2018, 4:42 am

Thanks to Bundy Bear in organzing Vapiano. Had great company, great food and a new way of ordering and paying for the food.
chchkiwi likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:04 pm

Sydney drinks and dinner - Wednesday at 6pm

Join krazykanuck and me at Cheers Sports Pub, 561 George, at basement level. They offer pub food and have a full bar.
Nearest train station is Town Hall. We've done two prior FT dinners here before/after OzFest.
Cheers Bar | Contact - Cheers Bar
Old May 28, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Tom and Kanuck ..... have fun.

Sadly we cannot schlep downtown on Wednesday .. was going to suggest a visit the colourful VIVID Festival at one of the inner suburbs Chatswood that also holds it along with the CBD-

Link here - Chatswood - Vivid Sydney at Chatswood 2018

100s of eating/drinking places there. @:-)

Glen

Last edited by ozstamps; May 28, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Old May 29, 2018, 7:42 am

Enjoying Vivid Sydney. If we have OzFest in Sydney next year, which would be the 11th year of Vivid Sydney, there is one cruise line here with 2 hour harbour cruises around Vivid Sydney on Friday and Saturday nights, departing at 5:30 and 8pm (lights come on at 6pm). It's advertised as a "cocktail style standing buffet" (chicken, pasta, veggies on the menu) with one free drink, at $A55/$US41. No doubt there's other providers out there, but certainly something I'd be interested in with a group. Could even add on a ferry trip over to Manly Beach and lunch there as an afternoon activity.

upup&away and kirkwoodj like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Wowser. This sounds like a great idea.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by ac777
Back in BNE. I thought Sunshine cost a bit if a misnomer... perhaps rainfall coast would be more appropriate at least for this past weekend.In spite of thunder, lightning and rain, it seems a good time was had by all. Thanks again to the organizers.
You'll be pleased to know that the showers eased on Monday and Tuesday and today have been warm and dry. We are still at Mooloolaba and head south in the morning.

In the background of Oz Fest there has (as always) been one person beavering away and giving us all the stats and spreadsheets that make it all work. A very big and special thank you to Mwenenzi. Without the input from Mwenenzi I can assure you that Oz Fest would not have occurred or at the very least been a lot less successful than it was.

Re 2019. There will be an endeavor to decide and publish next years venue ASAP.
tom911, restlessinRNO, kpc and 7 others like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:00 am

Thank You, itsalongwaydown and Mwenenzi, for your efforts on another successful OzFest. Homeward bound in the morning.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Do I win the prize for final overseas FTer to leave the country? I'm currently sitting in the SQ F lounge waiting for my TG F flight to BKK. Quite excited to fly off into the sunset in 1A from another Oz Fest. Great to see many of you again!

PS: put me down as somebody who would be keen to explore that country across the Tasman Sea
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Do I win the prize for final overseas FTer to leave the country? I'm currently sitting in the SQ F lounge waiting for my TG F flight to BKK.
I'm still puttering around in Perth . I will leave Australia on Tuesday.

Many thanks to @fifa , Mr. Fifa, and @JessicaTam for making several excellent suggestions of things to do on the West Coast.
fifa and JessicaTam like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.