Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Summary of Events Click links to jump to full details

Thursday, 13 April
Friday, 14 April
Saturday, 15 April __________________________________________________ ____________
Please do not edit above this line

Planning to Attend Welcome Drinks at Pub Cardinal Akasaka, Thursday, 13 April 19:00~
beckoa (assuming I don't get lost)
Fifa
Mr Fifa
NewbieRunner
pudgym29
restlessinRNO
TravelKane
awc4
perthite
perthite+1
nme7
Mapleg
Mrs Mapleg
bk3day
RichardInSF+1
firstglobal

Planning to Join Tokyo Shitamachi Walk, Friday, 14 April 09:45~
angra
beckoa
Fifa
Mr Fifa
GarySTL
Mrs GarySTL
kirkwoodj
krazykanuck
Mapleg
Mrs Mapleg
NewbieRunner
pudgym29
restlessinRNO
TravelKane
wysiwyg
nomadic.relief
awc4
perthite
perthite+1
BigRedBears
nme7
bk3day
firstglobal
Print Wikipost

Japan Do #5 - Tokyo - April 13-15, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by angra
At 4:30am, I was landing at ICN. I do not recommend the 02:00-04:30 flight.
Really? Go figure!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Waiting out a delay ex-NRT I cant say mid afternoon flights are much better!

Thanks to the organizers & FTers for making my 1st Japan DO a great time. Looking forward to keeping the good times rolling in Seoul and wherever ispickedfor next year's DO!
​​​​​​
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Really? Go figure!
bigreadbears and I spent part of our train delay trying to figure out why any airline would schedule a flight during those times.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wow, you made it! I wasn't sure you were going to make it out of the train station!
It was interesting to get to- but a nice experience. And I was able to follow along for the most part despite the language differences (Mostly in JP, some RU and a handful of EN).

Sounds like the 1AM-5AM I took to Osaka last year from HKG

Bit bumpy across the water today- JW helped.
Attached Images    
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
It was interesting to get to- but a nice experience. And I was able to follow along for the most part despite the language differences (Mostly in JP, some RU and a handful of EN).

Sounds like the 1AM-5AM I took to Osaka last year from HKG

Bit bumpy across the water today- JW helped.
you mean my flight? Its good for PE- J opup and locals love it for weekend away for leave minimization

will come tro again in 2 weeks, n between a very humane friday 3pm departure (0.5 days off work) vs friday 0100 flight, guess which flight my friends picked!

btw, is anyone still at the shinjuku area?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: Chase UR, Hyatt, Hilton, Wyndham
Thanks to armagebedar for all the set-up work. We didn't get to talk at dinner, but next time. Mrs. GarySTL & I had a wonderful time. First Do. Thanks, fifa, for spearheading the mark-car. Let's do again next year.
Look forward to seeing you all again. Thinking hard about doing EZE in Sept.^

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 26, 2017 at 2:03 am Reason: Privacy
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Friends - I ended up the Korea portion of this combi-do with excess KRW. Now I am back in Japan hanging about. Does anyone have any suggestion of particularly good places to change KRW to JPY in either Osaka or Tokyo?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Friends - I ended up the Korea portion of this combi-do with excess KRW. Now I am back in Japan hanging about. Does anyone have any suggestion of particularly good places to change KRW to JPY in either Osaka or Tokyo?
Yes. Try Daikokuya. {Ohmigawd! The actual exchange rate is appearing again after a long lapse.} This is where I strive to exchange my money [USD-JPY]. I'm willing to bet it has the best KRW-JPY rate.

Last edited by pudgym29; Apr 26, 2017 at 12:06 am Reason: Splice in the page with Kanto addresses.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Smile Some Japan Do snaps.

It's time for some images of Japan Do! #5 to be glimpsed.
My preference when posting images is to host them on a free, ad-hoc service, and to refer 180 pixel thumbnails into the thread so as to not take up everybody's time waiting for sixteen 1MB pictures to load before you can proceed to reading any succeeding replies. The images are hosted on picsee .net, which may be hosted in Russia, but I don't think there is any internet hanky-panky going on with it.

Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
How we doing on plans for next year? I know it might be trickier if in Okinawa...
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:38 pm

KJ,
Just book some speculative flights to Naha and Hyatt Naha (Hilton is a bit too far) for the Easter Weekend 2018. There are enough craft beer bars to keep you occupied if no one else shows up

Though a post/pre-DO trip to another Okinawa island might be interesting.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
KJ,
Just book some speculative flights to Naha and Hyatt Naha (Hilton is a bit too far) for the Easter Weekend 2018. There are enough craft beer bars to keep you occupied if no one else shows up

So you're telling me to go DO myself?!
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
How we doing on plans for next year? I know it might be trickier if in Okinawa...
I'm booked into OKA via CX inbound (well to HKG) and OKA-ANC on JL in F for 2018
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I am standing by to make DO bookings and reservations for us to have a great time. Not sure when I'll hear from the powers that be.

Originally Posted by BigRedBears
KJ,

Most of the beer bars are right by the Hilton though, but I still recommend the Hyatt or Doubletree in Naha.

Originally Posted by beckoa
I'm booked into OKA via CX inbound (well to HKG) and OKA-ANC on JL in F for 2018
Nice, hopefully our Costco will be announced by then, but unfortunately it won't be open yet!
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
Nice, hopefully our Costco will be announced by then, but unfortunately it won't be open yet!
Might need to visit Chiba New Town on my way back

Just did a speculative booking at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Naha for 5 nights.

Last edited by beckoa; Jul 4, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.