Last edit by: polkacat
Event Information

Thursday 21 April

Lunch, De Heeren van Liederkercke
RSVP required for inclusion in the reservation
IC 2334 departs Midi/Sud 13:18 arrives Liedercke 13:31

Friday 22 April

Night of the Great Thirst, Itterbeek 7 pm - 11:59 pm
Provisional Beer List: http://www.grotedorst.be/en/the-night-of-great-thirst/beer-selection

Meeting Point: 18:00 at Midi/Suid bust station, Perron (platform) 10

* For those who may be interested, De Cam Geuzestekerij will be open 13:00-18:00. Timmerman's, which is a 2 minute walk from Night of the Great Thirst, will be open 16:00-22:00.

Attendees
polkacat
*A Flyer
srletend
KMA26
mile ho
nomadic.relief
NewbieRunner
arollins +3

Saturday 23 April

Zythos Bierfestival Noon - 11 pm

Buy tokens in advance: http://www.zbf.be/index.php?lang=UK&page=4

For anyone who wants to travel in a group, I suggest IC 509 departing Midi/Suid at 10:56 (11:04 at Noord/Nord). This train arrives Leuven at 11:25.

For those who have not been before, if you travel on a train other than IC 509: exit the Leuven train station and bear right to get to the bus depot. The free shuttle to the hall is clearly marked and usually on the 3rd or so platform.

We will grab seats at a table toward the back on the right side of the main hall as you walk in.

Attendees
polkacat
arollins +3
*A Flyer
srletend
KMA26
mile ho
EI147
nomadic.relief
NewbieRunner

Sunday 24 April

Zythos Bierfestival 11 am - 9 pm

Travel Information

BRU airport updates: http://www.brusselsairport2203.be/. Note trains are not currently running. Current transport information: https://www.brusselsairport2203.be/e...t/#section-faq.

Brussels metro: consult http://www.stib-mivb.be/index.htm?l=nl for current information.

Belgium train disruption information, including limited access points to Brussels stations: http://www.belgianrail.be/jp/sncb-nm...en?tpl=him_map.
Print Wikipost

Belgian Beer Festival DO VI in BRU, April 23-24, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
FYI - Looks like there are some ATC strike issues at BRU. Last two days numerous flights (of the few that are scheduled) have been canceled.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Hopefully the strike will not extend in to next week.....
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American Advantage; Marriott Rewards; Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by polkacat
Hopefully the strike will not extend in to next week.....
Yes, hopefully this will end soon; saw reports that yesterday things were at about 50% of schedule.

And, I was supposed to be on the ORD-BRU nonstop next Monday but through the end of this month that flight doesn't exist; hence, I will be ORD-IAD-BRU on 4/18.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:31 pm

Flying UA to BRU next week.

If you are also flying UA to BRU, be sure to check your reservations. Mine changed without notice from the airline along with seat assignments and then a few days later the outbound simply disappeared.

Be sure to be checking your reservations beforehand.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mile ho
Flying UA to BRU next week.

If you are also flying UA to BRU, be sure to check your reservations. Mine changed without notice from the airline along with seat assignments and then a few days later the outbound simply disappeared.

Be sure to be checking your reservations beforehand.
Wise advice for all flights and airlines - 2 of my 4 flights (AA and BA) were cancelled without notification. Best moment was when the AA agent told me BA had provided notification but the carrier hadn't rescheduled, so I should contact the original booking source - to which I replied, I booked at aa.com so I'm speaking with the original booking source now....!
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:51 am
Original Poster

A friend just flew in to BRU yesterday and reports:

"No line at immigration and very short taxi line. Cost almost 40 Euro to get to Noord station and took about 20 minutes."
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American Advantage; Marriott Rewards; Hilton Honors
Arrived at BRU this morning; headed downstairs to the bus station and took the free shuttle (#282) to Zaventem train station. Took the train to Brussels Centraal; 2.90 euros. Quick and easy.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KMA26
Arrived at BRU this morning; headed downstairs to the bus station and took the free shuttle (#282) to Zaventem train station. Took the train to Brussels Centraal; 2.90 euros. Quick and easy.
Awesome! Thanks for the report. ^
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:36 pm

KMA26 and I headed to Bruges today. Leaving central station around 8.30. Can't wait to see that famous city for the first time. And Albert, if you do 90 tokens by yourself, sir, my hat will be off to you. Looking forward to catching up with you.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by mile ho
KMA26 and I headed to Bruges today. Leaving central station around 8.30. Can't wait to see that famous city for the first time. And Albert, if you do 90 tokens by yourself, sir, my hat will be off to you. Looking forward to catching up with you.
My group arrived today. Resting a bit @ Radisson Blu, then headed for frites at Maison Antoniette, then Delirium bar.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:22 am

Looks like I missed out on the frites excursion, just got in.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Have fun and drink some gueuze for me.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Have fun and drink some gueuze for me.
Following beers at The Beerwall and De Garre this afternoon, your request was completed this evening at Mort Subite.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
How was De Heeren?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:33 am

Alright, so here's the promised departure update as best as my sleep addled brain can recall - it looks terrifying when you arrive, but honestly is WAY faster than ever seems possible.

When I got there at 8:30am the line to get to the first security tent circled through 2 rotations of the adjacent parking garage AND over to the next parkade - not quite sure how far back, as I went up the 2 floors and politely merged. There were others cutting in right at the exit for the trains (this works best when you get a traffic gap).

When you hit the first white tents there is a boarding pass/ID check and later a baggage/person scan. You then exit this tent and proceed to the left to another tent which acts as check-in. There was a small blocked off area labelled customs, but passport control comes later, so I'm not sure what exactly was there. If you have checked bags, I am not sure how long that process would be - it didn't seem terribly busy, but I was trying to make time for missing the first train and so wasn't really looking. If you have no bags to check, just head to your left in this tent, another Boarding pass check and you get to head into the real terminal. From the bottom floor. 4 flights up I believe.

At this point you do normal pre-boarding security.

All-in-all it took me about 90 minutes from arrival to lounge. Very smooth steady process. But it did take a bit of tactful maneuvering! About 8 flights of stairs total. No escalators working until fully in the terminal. If raining there's likely about 20 minutes unavoidably outside. People were surprisingly well mannered and kept calm even with the handful of people blatantly and aggressively line jumping.

Thanks so much for posting this DO polkacat - I had a blast and enjoyed meeting new (to me) faces and reconnecting with old ones!

Good luck to everyone on their journeys home.

(and yes, De Herron was delicious!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.