Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDX dinner, UA station+tower tour w/Capt. Denny Flanagan -- Jan. 21-22, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by deirdre
I was going to stay at the Marriott, but the Hilton 1Q promo convinced me to walk a few blocks.
Looks like I may be walking also. Can't find the Marriott for less than $129+

Booked the Hilton on an award. all set.

Last edited by BOB W; Jan 2, 2012 at 3:06 pm
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:59 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BOB W
Looks like I may be walking also. Can't find the Marriott for less than $129+
I got the Marriott Waterfront for $87 with the AAA rate.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Coming from SEA

Seacarl and +1 may come down to join you, perhaps taking Amtrak.

Are the schedules of dinner and the PDX tour known yet?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by seacarl
Seacarl and +1 may come down to join you, perhaps taking Amtrak.

Are the schedules of dinner and the PDX tour known yet?
Dinner venue and time are not set. Please be patient, I just took over the quest on
Friday and New Years intervened.

Presently thinking about dinner around 7 with perhaps a pre-dinner time either in a private room or open bar. Stay tuned for further information concerning estimated food cost and please remember whether pre-pay or not drinks are a personal responsibility. There is also a high probability that wherever we end up a mandatory gratuity will be added to the cost (which is IMO fair).

Whether prepayment for dinner will be required will be determined by the restaurant chosen.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Might I recommend the restaurants Lincoln and Nostrana. Food is great and they, if I recall correctly had some private space. The restaurant at the Nines, both the top floor bar and the main restaurant should also have plenty of room but they're a bit more pricey. I'd also like to register for the airport tour as well as the dinner if there is still room.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:20 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I am thinking of booking the following itinerary on 1/21. Can someone who is familiar with DCA please advise me on whether this connection time is sufficient? Will I have to re-clear security in order to go from the CO gates to the UA gates? They seem to be in the same terminal but on different piers. I can't tell from the map whether you can get from one pier to another without going out first. (And I wouldn't want Capt. Denny to have to hold the plane for me! )

CO/XE 4326 EWR 06:32 DCA 07:42
UA 271 DCA 08:32 DEN 10:40
UA 369 DEN 11:39 PDX 13:25

Thanks..
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
I am thinking of booking the following itinerary on 1/21. Can someone who is familiar with DCA please advise me on whether this connection time is sufficient? Will I have to re-clear security in order to go from the CO gates to the UA gates? They seem to be in the same terminal but on different piers. I can't tell from the map whether you can get from one pier to another without going out first. (And I wouldn't want Capt. Denny to have to hold the plane for me! )

CO/XE 4326 EWR 06:32 DCA 07:42
UA 271 DCA 08:32 DEN 10:40
UA 369 DEN 11:39 PDX 13:25

Thanks..
I was at DCA two weeks ago, so I may be of some help to you.

I do remember that there was a shuttle service from the UA gates to another pier, but I'm not 100% sure if that shuttle goes to the CO area. If you had to leave and re-clear security, there is a priority lane, as well as no NoS, so you would save time by not having to opt-out. Personally, I'd take the connection. Maybe we can put in a word with the Captain for you
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:46 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
we'll be at Marriott Waterfront

gotta love marriott and CSAA!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Might I recommend the restaurants Lincoln and Nostrana. Food is great and they, if I recall correctly had some private space. The restaurant at the Nines, both the top floor bar and the main restaurant should also have plenty of room but they're a bit more pricey. I'd also like to register for the airport tour as well as the dinner if there is still room.
You are listed.

I am glad that you pointed out that Portland has some great restaurants and some even greater than great.

Having done a number of these FT events from small to very large and attended quite a few more, the secret seems to be.

1. Find a place that will handle appropriately the size of group expected. We are now over 40 attendees so that limits where we can be accommodated.
2. Be sure that the kitchen where we go is not overwhelmed. There is nothing worse than waiting and waiting some more for food and drink.
3. Try to stay in reasonable to moderate cost range. Not all FTers are foodies and surprisingly some may travel between continents in First or Business and sleep on the floor of an airport. Overall, FTers in general seem to be a pretty thrifty bunch. Therefore an attempt is being made to find a place that has an affordable menu so as to include as many as possible.
4. Try to appeal to a wide range of tastes unless one is doing a theme meal. Hopefully many of you will return and try not only our internationally recognized top end restaurants but also some of the great Asian ones on the inexpensive end of the spectrum.
5. Provide a range of drink availability. Portland is a center for micro-brewing, is near a world class wine region and recently has started distilling some decent spirits.
6. Provide at least examples of what is local whenever possible.
7. Provide a space where people can mingle rather than being tied to a single long table where it is difficult to communicate with anyone other than your immediate neighbors. Often we do not know others at the Do and therefore it is important that the opportunity is provided to mingle with others.

Last edited by opushomes; Jan 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm Reason: a final thought
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by opushomes
Portland is "near" a world class wine region and recently has started distilling some decent spirits.
There is nothing "near" about the wines.

I would gladly hold them up with the best anywhere, and a much better value than those from the next state further south.

As for the spirits, I can't wait to start exploring.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Having done a number of these FT events from small to very large and attended quite a few more, the secret seems to be. [...]
Word! This should be stickied somewhere. ^
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

My house is geographically near a world class wine area.

In geographical terms please remember that it took almost 45 minutes to the 1st world class winery from the location of my house. That of course does not count what might be downstairs.

That said, what goodies are you bringing in checked baggage?

I suggest that you contact the recently engaged individual up North for spirit advice, although I think I can find her flavorite tasting room.

Originally Posted by BOB W
There is nothing "near" about the wines.

I would gladly hold them up with the best anywhere, and a much better value than those from the next state further south.

As for the spirits, I can't wait to start exploring.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
3. Try to stay in reasonable to moderate cost range. Not all FTers are foodies and surprisingly some may travel between continents in First or Business and sleep on the floor of an airport. Overall, FTers in general seem to be a pretty thrifty bunch. Therefore an attempt is being made to find a place that has an affordable menu so as to include as many as possible.
4. Try to appeal to a wide range of tastes unless one is doing a theme meal. Hopefully many of you will return and try not only our internationally recognized top end restaurants but also some of the great Asian ones on the inexpensive end of the spectrum.
There are also people who, like me, have diet constraints due to food allergies (I'm celiac), so please ensure that there is a non-salad option for us (more than a token amount of lettuce will make me very sick). A plain hamburger without a bun works just fine for me, though more options are nice. Can't rely on fries unless there's a non-wheat-filled fryer, which is pretty rare.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:26 pm

In geographical terms please remember that it took almost 45 minutes to the 1st world class winery from the location of my house. That of course does not count what might be downstairs.
I see. I thought you meant almost world class. You are right. Were were all very parched when we got the the first "close by' winery.
That said, what goodies are you bringing in checked baggage?
I am open to suggestions, but I will be in Kirkland from Wed. morning through early Saturday. I COULD make an early morning trip to Woodinville Saturday morning.
I suggest that you contact the recently engaged individual up North for spirit advice, although I think I can find her flavorite tasting room.
Between the Rimarts Cava and the Kirkland Signature vodka, I'm sure she is quite happy right now.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
You are listed.

I am glad that you pointed out that Portland has some great restaurants and some even greater than great.

Having done a number of these FT events from small to very large and attended quite a few more, the secret seems to be.
Excellent list. I feel we are in very good hands....^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.