Rest in peace Newself

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rest in peace Newself

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Oh, I'm so sad to hear this. What a shock.

My condolences to his wife and family. I met Dave in Singapore, and have fond memories of the fish pedicure we got there. He was a terrific guy and will be greatly missed.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:59 am

With a heavy heart.....

I didn't see my first post so I'm trying this again....

I know none of you know me, but I am Dave's daughter-in-law. I found this thread which was posted on his FB page (Thank you to whoever it was that posted it). Your prayers are much appreciated as we are all in sheer disbelief and great sorrow at this time.

Reading the wonderful memories you have had with my father-in-law and seeing some of the pictures has meant a lot to me. I had no idea he had such a network of friends across the US, however I did know of his great love for travel. His eyes would always light up whenever he talked about his next great trip or meeting up with some of you for dinners and drinks. It wouldn't surprise me if some of his best memories were made with many of you. He was always looking for a new adventure and a great glass of wine. He was a wonderful man who will be truly missed.

We love you Dave.

Alicia Chesebro
Old Jun 18, 2011, 1:43 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
RIP, Dave. I genuinely enjoyed all the time I was privileged to spend with you.

My condolences to your family and the rest of your friends.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by ALIinSD
I didn't see my first post so I'm trying this again....

I know none of you know me, but I am Dave's daughter-in-law. I found this thread which was posted on his FB page (Thank you to whoever it was that posted it). Your prayers are much appreciated as we are all in sheer disbelief and great sorrow at this time.

Reading the wonderful memories you have had with my father-in-law and seeing some of the pictures has meant a lot to me. I had no idea he had such a network of friends across the US, however I did know of his great love for travel. His eyes would always light up whenever he talked about his next great trip or meeting up with some of you for dinners and drinks. It wouldn't surprise me if some of his best memories were made with many of you. He was always looking for a new adventure and a great glass of wine. He was a wonderful man who will be truly missed.

We love you Dave.

Alicia Chesebro
Alicia, thank you for your kind words.

While many of us were privileged to share share meals and drinks with Dave all over the world, his eyes *truly* lit up when to talked about his family, his boys and especially his grandchildren.

This is much too soon.
RIP, Grandpa Dave.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:09 am

Very sad news to hear about the loss of a genuinely nice and friendly guy.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:21 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
I was so shocked and saddened to hear of Dave's passing. He was one of the first FTers I met and had the pleasure of seeing him at many DOs since. Such a genuinely nice guy.

Heartfelt condolences to Jeanne, family and friends.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:48 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Dave

I will remember a very polite gentleman and friend. Thank you to have shared some (rare) short moments of my travel life.

I have been contacted through this night by many of his (and mine) friends and in add got the following information:

'Apparently he was at Starbucks and fainted. He woke up and did not know he fainted and the paramedics were there. They took him to the hospital. He talked to Jeanne and said he felt fine and he would call her when he know something or was ready to come home. He never called so she went to the hospital. He passed away before Jeanne got there. As you would expect she is devastated.'
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:59 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I only had the pleasure and privilege of meeting Dave once. It was May 2008 and I was in need of LAX RCC access while mileage-running (to some exotic locale like BUF or JAX, no doubt) and he was on his way to OzFest V: Hobart. Unfortunately we only had 5-10 mins together before his boarding call and our paths never crossed again.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 4:18 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've had a little time to process this shocking news and I am still very hurt and sad. I think I'm mainly mad because I won't get a chance to see Dave for a while and I know he had just started a new chapter in his life that was bringing him such joy.

To me, Dave represented the best of what we as FlyerTalkers should try and be.

To me, Dave represented the best of what we as human beings should try and be.

Chorus angelorum te suscipiat...
Old Jun 18, 2011, 4:36 am
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
So sad, really nice guy
Tho we all say at times like this.. live every day as if its your last etc.
Mostly we just go along doing the best we can, and I am sure he did.
Condolences to his family
Old Jun 18, 2011, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm just waking up in London to the terrible news. I'm pretty sure that Dave was with us at the very first Flyertalk get together, in early 1999 I think, which was at the Queen Mary in Long Beach. Premex should have some pictures somewhere. Or maybe I can find some.

Dave and I were neighbors in Long Beach and we used to go out for beers at Legends and Joe Josts from time to time. I know for a fact that he was a much happier person thanks to the friends he met here and all the traveling he otherwise would not have done. He called himself Newself for a reason and he lived up to it. God bless him.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 5:44 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Dave and I crossed paths many times over the years. I'm glad I had the opportunity to know him and share many a beer with him.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me > sad

RIP.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:23 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by ALIinSD
I had no idea he had such a network of friends across the US
Friendship with Dave knew no bounds and circled the globe.

Rest in peace, good sir. You were a class act.

Tonight, I'll raise a schooner in your honor.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:36 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm in shock, he looked great last month when we met for breakfast.

Great guy, excellent FT'er & person to travel with.:-:^:-:

My condolences to his wife and family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.