Austin, Texas Mega Do 2 - April 19 - 22, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austin, Texas Mega Do 2 - April 19 - 22, 2012

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Mackieman did a site visit to the Oakridge Smokehouse Restaurant in Schulenburg, TX recently and reports that while the food is not likely to be that overwhelmingly memorable, it will fill an empty stomach. And, that might be the most important thing for mid-Friday afternoon.
Old May 24, 2011, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
Mackieman did a site visit to the Oakridge Smokehouse Restaurant in Schulenburg, TX recently and reports that while the food is not likely to be that overwhelmingly memorable, it will fill an empty stomach. And, that might be the most important thing for mid-Friday afternoon.
Always good to visit a brewery on a full stomach.
Old May 26, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP 2015, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Diamond Marriott Silver Alamo Budget Hertz
Very Interested as well. I use to be stationed in Killeen and we would drive down to Austin to party on 6th street. I just hope the airfare from Chicago will be fairly reasonable, as I have been checking over the past year and they always seem to be 250+.

BBQ places tested 2011:

MCI
MEM
BOS
BDL
BNA
MKE
ORD

Favorite's so far has been from KC.
LC's and Oklahoma Joes place in a Shell Gas station.
Old May 26, 2011, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Angust
Very Interested as well. I use to be stationed in Killeen and we would drive down to Austin to party on 6th street...

BBQ places tested 2011:

<snip>

Favorite's so far has been from KC.
LC's and Oklahoma Joes place in a Shell Gas station.
Oklahoma Joe's is probably my KC favorite...but I thought it was in a Diamond Shamrock/Valero gas station. Maybe they changed their affiliation since I was last there?

LC's had some wicked burnt ends though. There was another place on the right about another 1/2 mile down Blue Parkway that was pretty good as well, but by then I was so full of BBQ, I could barely walk.
Old May 26, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
LC's had some wicked burnt ends though.
OMG, the candy of BBQ. Even beats bacon!
Old May 29, 2011, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Now that I report to a practice leader in our Austin office, this one will be a no-brainer for me. I probably won't be able to do all the festivities, but certainly Thursday evening, Friday afternoon/evening, and Saturday.
Old May 30, 2011, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mreed911
OMG, the candy of BBQ. Even beats bacon!
Whoa, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Folks, Mackieman has put together a dandy event web site, which we invite you to peruse, fold, mangle, spindle, and otherwise abuse:

http://www.ausmegado.com/index.cfm

You will notice that the schedule deviates from what was previously posted here. That is because we are getting final feedback from the venues and are having to adjust as we go. I will eventually get to making all this information uniform, but the web site above will be the best resource to get the latest information.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Folks, Mackieman has put together a dandy event web site, which we invite you to peruse, fold, mangle, spindle, and otherwise abuse:

http://www.ausmegado.com/index.cfm

You will notice that the schedule deviates from what was previously posted here. That is because we are getting final feedback from the venues and are having to adjust as we go. I will eventually get to making all this information uniform, but the web site above will be the best resource to get the latest information.
Went to the site, and it looks like a great set of activities. I'll do everything I can to get there, and hope I'm internet-available when the sign-ups start.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Looks fabulous. Note to self - start exercising now so that when I gain 50lbs in 3 days I'll still be even

Cheers.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Looks fabulous. Note to self - start exercising now so that when I gain 50lbs in 3 days I'll still be even

Cheers.
Aye, the key will most certainly be pacing one's self. Especially on Thursday as dinner that night will be both hefty and amazing.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Mackieman
Aye, the key will most certainly be pacing one's self. Especially on Thursday as dinner that night will be both hefty and amazing.
Alas, I'll miss Thurs dinner due to flying in from LAS trade show & having to connect. But hope to make drinkies. So what I hear you saying is I only have to lose 40lbs instead of 50 to stay even for the 3 days

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]

Oklahoma Joe's is probably my KC favorite...but I thought it was in a Diamond Shamrock/Valero gas station. Maybe they changed their affiliation since I was last there?

LC's had some wicked burnt ends though. There was another place on the right about another 1/2 mile down Blue Parkway that was pretty good as well, but by then I was so full of BBQ, I could barely walk.
The place down the road from LC's was Big T's - I liked my meal there much better than what I had at LC's. From my perspective over the course of MCI BBQ DO 2010, OK Joe's was best, followed closely by Big T's.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:07 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I've marked the weekend on my calendar...
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I've marked the weekend on my calendar...
yay! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.