Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

2011 DTW / Ann Arbor Art Fair Alumni & Friends Mini-Do (July 22-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 DTW / Ann Arbor Art Fair Alumni & Friends Mini-Do (July 22-24)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Congrats Dr. jjlovecob! I think you have a good excuse for not making it

I have put my Greece ticket search efforts on hold for now to deal with some business issues which may take a while. If I am still here I am not missing the DO!

I would like to see hands on stuff on award booking. I also volunteer Cliff to test us for his Chicago FT presentation on technology;-)
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
oh man, that is a session I'd love to attend.

I won't be able to attend AA Do as July 22-23 was the only weekend that worked for 3 nephews flying in from different areas of the country. I'm going to teach them all how to waterski up in N Wisconsin.
We'll miss you - sounds like fun with your nephews!

Originally Posted by jjlovecub
Grizshel,

Unfortunatley I will not be able to make it this year after several years in a row. As I told Bike Guy, I will be at my graduation! Normally, I am not one for walking but this is a special one as I will change my name to Dr. JJLOVECUB. I don't know anymore but I have a cool title Hope to catch you all next year!
Congrats!!! We'll miss you!
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpapadop
I have put my Greece ticket search efforts on hold for now to deal with some business issues which may take a while. If I am still here I am not missing the DO!

I would like to see hands on stuff on award booking. I also volunteer Cliff to test us for his Chicago FT presentation on technology;-)
If you have to delay your trip to Greece it will be great to have you!

Don't know if we'll have any of the top experts on award booking this year, but we might be able to pitch in and give a few good tips at least. Still checking on internet access for Saturday afternoon. Does anyone remember? - it seems we set it up at the Pittsfield Town Hall last time we were there.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
If the number of attendees is small maybe we can all fit in one of the big tables at a local Panera bread store, bring our laptops and have HANDS ON award booking help. After many presentations on awards over the past few years, I think we can all use hands on help and leave theory behind.

And better get your extra 50k Chase Sapphire rewards points if you recently got just 50k. Check millionmilesecrets.com for it or the applicable FT thread^
Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta skymiles Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hi - we are newbies to flyer talk and would love to gather with you in Ann Arbor. Please count myself and my hubby in! We can't wait to make new friends and learn from the experts!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 2:15 pm

Count me in

Looks like I can make it for Saturday after all. For those that may be interested I'm going to do a short talk about tech related tools and techniques that can be used help increase your efficiency at information gathering.

I'll pull together a short overview of things I'll cover and post on this thread soon.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

grwcrna: Hi - we are newbies to flyer talk and would love to gather with you in Ann Arbor. Please count myself and my hubby in! We can't wait to make new friends and learn from the experts!
Welcome aboard!

Originally Posted by dlouise37
Looks like I can make it for Saturday after all. For those that may be interested I'm going to do a short talk about tech related tools and techniques that can be used help increase your efficiency at information gathering.

I'll pull together a short overview of things I'll cover and post on this thread soon.
We're really looking forward to hearing your insights!

gpapadop: If the number of attendees is small maybe we can all fit in one of the big tables at a local Panera bread store, bring our laptops and have HANDS ON award booking help. After many presentations on awards over the past few years, I think we can all use hands on help and leave theory behind.
Great idea! I may be interested in meeting up at a Panera at about 10:30 or 11 AM on Saturday in any case. I'll find out about the internet at Pittsfield and we'll go from there.

P.S. - I have a great story about my transportation to get to Ann Arbor - I'll tell you when I get there.
Also, if you are having trouble finding a good and cheap hotel room in Ann Arbor, drop me a PM.

UPDATE, 6/29/2011:
see post #53.

I was getting the following message when I tried to add a post:
You have reached the maximum number of posts (0) allowed in a 24 minute period for this forum

Last edited by GrizShel; Jun 29, 2011 at 11:46 am Reason: not allowed to add a new post on this thread!!!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:43 am
Original Poster

We will have internet access at the Pittsfield Township meeting room! (we'll just need to remember to ask for the password when we pick up the room key.)

Here's the address:
Pittsfield Charter Township
6201 W. Michigan Avenue
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108

Looking forward very much to a great time of sharing good food and drink and sharing travel tips and tricks with each other!

I'd encourage each person who attends to come up with one travel challenge they'd like the group to work on. Here's mine, rather simple but I'm really not sure the best way to do this:

I need to get a one-way flight at the best possible paid rate or award deal from Taipei to Manilla this fall. I currently have miles in the following programs:
AA
British Airways
Continental / UA
Delta
bmi

Added factor: I'll probably have about 2x50 lbs of luggage to check on this flight.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:06 pm

I got my award tickets to ATH Aug 1 -20 so I should be at the DO!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

I got my award tickets to ATH Aug 1 -20 so I should be at the DO!
That's great news, see you in 3 weeks!

I'll be offline most of the next week, if your status for the Do in post #2 changes, let us know.

Here's a rental car challenge to tackle for the Do, we'll compare answers and learn from each other:
Find the best 8-day rate you can for a mid-size rental car from Jackson Hole, WY airport for peak July travel dates in 2011 and 2012, namely:
* July 2 to 10 for 2011 (or if you read this too late try July 9 to 17).
* June 30 to July 8, 2012. (yes it will be possible to make July 2012 reservations with at least some companies before our Do).

(the rate code should be generally available to all, but rates requiring easily obtained memberships like AAA and Entertainment Card will be allowed).
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Please note that ex-Beatle Paul McCartney will perform live at Comerica Park (new Tiger Stadium) in Downtown Detroit on Sun. 7/24 @ 8PM!
The Downtown Detroit Marriott at the Ren Cen has rooms available for Cat. 4 awards! From there it's a 25 minute walk or 8--10 minute People Mover (toy Metro/ Subway/ L) ride to the concert.

Sorry, I can't make it, as I will be in Milwaukee that weekend to hear the Monkees & Frankie Valli in concert, then Sir Paul on Wed. 7/27 in Montreal!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Here's some more info, looking forward to seeing you!

ITINERARY
Saturday:
11:30 - 12:30 Coffee / light lunch Time (location TBD)
12:30 - 4:30 Miles and Points Time, includes:
* Dlouise37 Technology talk
* Best travel tips contest
* Discussion of rate guarantee programs
* Teaming up to solve your personal travel challengesl
6227 Michigan Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48108-9791
(734) 996-3011
DIRECTIONS (from Fairfield Inn at Briarwood Mall):
Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor3285 Boardwalk, Ann Arbor, MI 48108‎ - (800) 408-1366‎
1. Head southwest on Boardwalk Dr toward Victors Way
go 102 ft
2. Turn right onto Victors Way
go 0.2 mi
3. Turn left onto S State St
go 0.2 mi
4. Merge onto I-94 E via the ramp to Detroit
go 2.8 mi
5. Take exit 180A to merge onto US-23 S toward Toledo
go 1.4 mi
6. Take exit 34 for US-12 toward Saline
go 0.4 mi
7. Turn right onto US-12 W/W Michigan Ave
go 1.1 mi
ARRIVE Pittsfield Township, MI
total 6.1 miles.

5:30 - 9 PM: Drinks and Dinner (Original Cottage Inn)
Cottage Inn Pizza
512 East William Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2490
(734) 663-3379
(I think we'll go back to the OCI, but I am going to ask Bikeguy what he thinks of the Conor O'Neill's Traditional Irish Pub/Restaurant at 318 S Main St. (neaby OCI), as that also looks like a nice option. (feel free to voice your opinion as well.)

Sunday:
10:30 AM - 1:30 PM Brunch at Webers
3050 Jackson Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI
(734) 665-3636 ()

Last edited by GrizShel; Jul 13, 2011 at 8:18 pm
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:35 pm

Ok, I think I am good for most of these. I may need to leave around 8 pm on Saturday night to go pick him up from UofM soccer camp across town. Looking forward to see everyone!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:13 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ok, I think I am good for most of these. I may need to leave around 8 pm on Saturday night to go pick him up from UofM soccer camp across town. Looking forward to see everyone!
+1 here, same timing. I'm taking a redeye from SEA the night before so may be a little late for the miles and points program
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Here's some more info, looking forward to seeing you!

Pittsfield Charter Township[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
6227 Michigan Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48108-9791
(734) 996-3011

DIRECTIONS (from Fairfield Inn at Briarwood Mall):
Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor3285 Boardwalk, Ann Arbor, MI 48108‎ - (800) 408-1366‎
-----

There's a much shorter way to get there from the Briarwood Motel Cluster ---

Just take State St. South to Ellsworth and then turn left and go east a couple of miles to Platt Street and turn right (and go south) crossing US12/ Michigan Ave to the township hall.

Bob H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.