Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Riding-on-the-Marrakesh-Express DO Dec. 16-18, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
A Riad would be a lot of fun. From my experience in Fes I would much rather stay in the medina area. It is a long way off though.
A lot of reviews talk about being hassled in the medina. This was not my experience in Fes.

Last edited by the_happiness_store; Jan 4, 2011 at 5:41 pm
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:28 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had no problems in Fes or anywhere else in Morocco (single woman) but medina in Marrakesh was so annoying I just went back to Le Meridien which was bliss.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
A lot of reviews talk about being hassled in the medina. This was not my experience in Fes.
Yes, you will have kids come up to you all the time telling you that you're going the wrong way, that a road/alley is closed or some other random crap and then try to get a few Dirhams out of you for their "help" in getting you to your destination. They really aren't all that hard to ignore if you choose to do so.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:36 pm
RNE

Morocco

You will enjoy this unique nation. The wife and I have been to CAS and AGA, enjoying both greatly, probably the latter more so than the former. AGA seemed more open and tourist-friendly. (We probably enjoy more touristy things than most travelers, YMMV.)
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
I think I have to wait for the December 2011 weather forecast for FRA before I can commit. In my case the Athens Do 2010 went up in snow. But put me down as interested.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I love Morocco. It's like California. Mountains, beaches, deserts, crazy people...

I go to Casa often for business and I've driven to Marrackech, but have never taken the train. Should be fun. It will be cool and maybe rainy in December, but not too cold.

I can highly recommend the Sofitel! If it turns out to be warm, the pool scene there is great.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Please add me to the Interested list. On the African continent for the first time with some of my favorite FT peeps sounds great.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Sounds like a innovative idea for a DO Mike. ^

I'd love to go on something like this, but I'm attending sales meetings in LAS at the time.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Please add me to the "interested" list. I'm going to see if I can get a good airfare. Never been to Morocco -- but very interested. No problem for me getting time off then.

Bruce
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I hope nobody has bought tickets yet.

We have not flown domestically since my wife received her Thanksgiving Grope on the way home Nov. 1, and I'm rather liking our TSA-free, grope-free existence.

We had a great time at the Athens DO in December (non-refundable tickets had us "hooked" anyway), and that was where I hatched the idea for the Marrakesh DO, but after not stepping on a plane for almost 3 months now, I'm just not excited about it any more. It's possible to find other pursuits that don't involve getting groped and hassled by knuckle-draggers, and we've done that.

I'd like to see the outcome of some cases currently in the courts, but unless there are some favorable changes in the next month or two, I'm not going to go through with this.
Old May 2, 2011, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I set May 1 as my personal deadline to decide whether or not to subject ourselves to TSA & put our butts back on planes this year.

We're not going to. Six months of driving to St. Louis every 2-3 weeks has convinced me that there is a saner way for the indefinite future. We're now planning a two-week vacation for this summer, transportation to be provided by our red Beetle.

The irony, for those who know me, is that our last flight was on Delta due to IROPS returning from FRA after Christmas.

I will ask the mods to close this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.