Reload this Page >

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:03 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Goldcircle was so kind to convince them last time and a massive 82 particpants credited there. All bmi got out of it was a logo on the print and t-shirts.
And quite a few new DC members, some of whom might not have heard of bmi before.

Considering bmi DC's future is most probably a M&M intergration (see the bmi DC forum for details), M&M is a better bet.
I agree.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:33 am

Maybe I shouldn't say this here on FT (), but:

For me the miles are not that important. I am joining because I had a good time at SMDI and I am sure we will see have some more "money can't buy" experiences also on SMDII.

Last year we got 15.000 miles on several programmes, which could have been helpful for some people here to maintain or get their status. This year the amount of miles is less, significantly less. For most people here it shouldn't make the difference between having their status or not, they are just a nice gift on top, aren't they?

(I know that this is a keen theory....)
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by MLang2
For me the miles are not that important.
SACRILEGE!!

Originally Posted by MLang2
I am joining because I had a good time at SMDI and I am sure we will see have some more "money can't buy" experiences also on SMDII.
I agree.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:38 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by Oliver2002
Considering bmi DC's future is most probably a M&M intergration (see the bmi DC forum for details), M&M is a better bet.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I agree.
As a BD*G, who'd like to stay a BD*G until BD DC is subsumed, I wouldn't mind getting 4k status miles towards my 38k renewal for the year (and more importantly, for pushing me past the 55k double-points mark). So I'd be happy with a BD credit, for our favourite/only UK-based Star Alliance airline.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Right now the FFP split is as follows:

Mileage requests: 121
UA 37 31%
CO 33 27%
LH 24 20%
BD 11 9%
SK 7 6%
AC 5 4%
US 1 1%
BW 1 1%
VS 1 1%
OS 1 1%
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:40 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
if you want to pull out from the group fare, you can do so by the second week of July when we start ticketing the group fare.
I seem to remember some means of updating our own requirements on the SMD website were going to be available but I assume they have not materialised. If we no longer require TATL flights, for example, do you need to know or should we just leave it and not confirm when ticketing starts?

He he... I booked a friend this morning... we held the O seat for a while and then the I WL cleared the moment she saved the booking. So check again and blow your PJ miles Right now only LH 440 has some O space for M&M members, return on LH saturday night is nada, only with HON guarantee or if you fly ORD/SFO-MUC in I or O.
Believe me it wasn't that easy! I could only get a feeder flight in C initially but it's all done now after being waitlisted for a whole month!!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by RCyyz
SACRILEGE!!
I know....!

Oliver posted the request for miles. Oliver, does that mean you want to have a minimum number of requests to ask a certain programme to credit?

Or are you planning to speak with the "Top5" either way?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium

UA 37 31%
CO 33 27%
LH 24 20%
BD 11 9%
SK 7 6%
AC 5 4%
US 1 1%
BW 1 1%
VS 1 1%
OS 1 1%
This FTer should get a gold star from Dougie in PHX!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
As a BD*G, who'd like to stay a BD*G until BD DC is subsumed, I wouldn't mind getting 4k status miles towards my 38k renewal for the year (and more importantly, for pushing me past the 55k double-points mark). So I'd be happy with a BD credit, for our favourite/only UK-based Star Alliance airline.
I know another FTer who is in the same situation (BD*G who wants to stay that way until subsumed) & feels the same way re: getting miles for renewal. Since BD isn't giving miles (well sounds like they were never asked), has decided not to do SMD2. I'm sure there were other reasons, but he'd been holding off on decision waiting to hear on the BD thing & no BD miles was enough to tip him from Go to No.

Since BD is in the top 4 of requests for miles per oliver's post, maybe something to still ask them about? Well actually since they were never asked in the first place , perhaps ask them now?

I know a lot of the 82 last year credited them to BD last year because UA wasn't an option, and rather than not get any miles went w/ BD, especially since getting BDGold wasn't as onorous as other programs. Some of those folk have actually flown BD since then because of that. I'm pretty sure BD wouldn't have gotten those flights otherwise.

Anyway, fingers crossed that UA comes through.

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:55 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I know another FTer who is in the same situation (BD*G who wants to stay that way until subsumed) & feels the same way re: getting miles for renewal. Since BD isn't giving miles (well sounds like they were never asked), has decided not to do SMD2. I'm sure there were other reasons, but he'd been holding off on decision waiting to hear on the BD thing & no BD miles was enough to tip him from Go to No.

Since BD is in the top 4 of requests for miles per oliver's post, maybe something to still ask them about? Well actually since they were never asked in the first place , perhaps ask them now?

I know a lot of the 82 last year credited them to BD last year because UA wasn't an option, and rather than not get any miles went w/ BD, especially since getting BDGold wasn't as onorous as other programs. Some of those folk have actually flown BD since then because of that. I'm pretty sure BD wouldn't have gotten those flights otherwise.

Anyway, fingers crossed that UA comes through.

Cheers.
Maybe I have it wrong but seems to me that the purpose of SMD's is not really to rackup miles but to stimulate the comradship among FT'ers. I do not believe that the organizers have spent this much time trying to get us these few miles but to give us a reflection of the inside issues of the Star Alliance partners.

My hat is off to them and their fantastic efforts.

^
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by spaceman
Maybe I have it wrong but seems to me that the purpose of SMD's is not really to rackup miles but to stimulate the comradship among FT'ers. I do not believe that the organizers have spent this much time trying to get us these few miles but to give us a reflection of the inside issues of the Star Alliance partners.

My hat is off to them and their fantastic efforts.

^
Given the majority of us now registered show UA/MP our primary FF program, it is clear earning miles (status or redeemable) is a secondary concern for this or even the last SMD. I can also see why BD may have rethought it's participation this year since there is a high likelihood these new members who chose its program to park the miles have not bought tickets on BD or even live within range of a BD plane. In the end this has cost a few £s and will cost them more as we top off those accounts by crediting other STAR flights to these accounts and then redeeming them for premium (points and £s) awards in a few years time.

Anyone from Europe or Asia will still be earning substantial SMs from the flights getting to/from IAH and for those with only BD accounts they can always start a M&M account to bank the miles until LH merges the two FF programs. If UA decides not to participate again this year, I'll set up a CO account and know the miles (redeemable) will be added into my MP account next year when the merger closes.

So I really can't see if there are any serious BDers wanting to do the SMD2 a reason to hold off booking. Same goes for others in this holding pattern. I know several AC members who signed up, as they (and I) did last year, knowing we'd not benefit from the SM/RM aspect.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well I'm a UA person so will hope for UA miles & if not, will do the join CO program & hope to have them merged 'dance'. Other than the charter, odds are CO's not going to see me on any flights until post-merger.

I don't blame the BD 9% FTers (#4 on the list of requests for mileage credit, btw) asking for BD to be approached. Unlike last year where people started BD accounts, those 9% probably DO fly BD on a regular basis & could use the extra EQMs, such as BristolTraveller mentioned. I doubt BD is going to see a stampede this year of folk signing up. And if BD says no (presumably after being approached, which they've not been so far btw) because they didn't see the benefit, I'd understand that too. Based on all the questions re: DC/M&M to LH mgmt at SMD1, I'm thinking there's probably a reason some want to keep it in the BD family for as long as they can

Obviously the primary reason for attending is to enjoy SMD2 and hope it's as fab as SMD1 (a very large target to top, btw!), but I for one will not throw any bricks at my fellow FTers for wanting miles in their programs (the secondary reason to attend) or asking that their programs be approached.

On a dif topic - if the organizers can give us a few days notice before payment is due for everything, that would allow some of us to move $$ around accounts and/or make sure the ccs have the space available. For those of us doing both TATL & Charter, especially in C, it's a pretty large pricepoint.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jul 17, 2010 at 3:18 pm Reason: add payment part...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
On a dif topic - if the organizers can give us a few days notice before payment is due for everything, that would allow some of us to move $$ around accounts and/or make sure the ccs have the space available. For those of us doing both TATL & Charter, especially in C, it's a pretty large pricepoint.
We will give enough notice, no worries.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

UA 37 31%
CO 33 27%
LH 24 20%
BD 11 9%
SK 7 6%
AC 5 4%
US 1 1%
BW 1 1%
VS 1 1%
OS 1 1%
Not sure where I missed this vote, but please add me to the AC mileage request, or is this a non-starter? I guess I could always deposit the miles into my UA account where I have a whopping 750 miles!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Not sure where I missed this vote, but please add me to the AC mileage request, or is this a non-starter? I guess I could always deposit the miles into my UA account where I have a whopping 750 miles!
This wasn't a vote. This was the FFP you indicated when you paid your deposit, and I'd guess that discussions with AC are unlikely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.