Wiki Posts
Search

SIN Do 2011 January 14-16, 2011 Singapore, SG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by violist
What seats are you people in? Appears to be a party flight.
Right now I am in 30B but I hope to get a seat a lot more forward. There are 28 unassigned C seats ATM.
[KVS Availability Tool 6.0.2/Diamond - Amadeus Enhanced Seat Map: 13 Jan 2011/UA 875/NRT-SIN//C]
Code:
     A  B  |  D  E  F  |  H  J  
 8   -  -     +  +  +     -  -  
 9   -  -     -  +  +     -  -  
11   -  -     -  +  +     -  +  
12   +  -     +  +  +     -  -  
13   +  -     +  +  +     -  +  
14   +  +     +  +  +     +  -  
15   +  +     +  +  -     +  -  

[+] Available   [-] Unavailable
[P] Preferred   [X] Blocked    
[G] Galley
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:52 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by eightblack
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: CHANGI TOUR

Folks,

My apologies for the late notice but I just received word from Changi that they would like to move the Changi Tour from 2.30pm on Friday to start now at 9.30am.

This may actually work out better as it will allow us to fit more in with UA etc.

I apologise if this means that now some of you won't be able to attend.

Airport Passes will be given to you all on Fri morning. I will be at Starbucks in T2 from 9am onwards. You will be able to tell who I am due to the amount of paparazzi and glamour models beside me

MEETING PLACE:
Terminal 2 - Starbucks
Tour time: 9.30am - 11.30am
Date: Fri 14 January

What You Need To Bring:
Your passport. Copies will not be acceptable.
Time is fine for me and I am looking forward to the tour.

Are we allowed to bring a camera? If so is a DSLR allowed or just a point and shoot, i.e. Ixus 80?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:37 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Time change for the tour is fine for me. Might save an hour or two of overtime at the transit hotel. Sleep is overrated anyway.

Hotel update... T3 transit Thursday night, Fairmount Friday-Sunday nights. Good to go for evening events on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.

Have 21C on UA875 from NRT on the 13th. On the NC waitlist for six months now.

Last edited by Ted; Jan 4, 2011 at 12:42 am
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:25 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
One of our very nice organizers has offered to give me a wake up shout at the Conrad and pick me up so I can stumble through the Changi tour...yay!

My cousins say Friday mornings are execution day in SIN....hanging bodies, etc. Is this true? Will this be part of the tour

Will be airborne week from right now.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by bschaff1

Saturday...
-Daily Activity: Trip to Batam, ID: We will take a ferry at 10:50 from Harbour Front terminal and return by 6:15 PM.
-Lunch: number of options or maybe high tea. I will coordinate planning of this with people that aren't taking the tour to Batam, Indonesia....
As I am not going to do the Batam side trip, I will offer to coordinate drinks at BoatQuay for others who may be in the same situation as me.

In the past, we have always been able to negotiate a good deal on Tiger Pitchers with one of the Thai places on the river. I have the manager's card and will make sure that we are taken care of.
I will also PM a couple of folks who have been "Boat Quay Drinks" regulars in the past, but ALL ARE WELCOME and I expect that I'll be on the Quay at 3pm or thereabouts.

Any questions, or ideas, please PM or post to the thread!!!

P.S. - I'm in for the Canopy Walk and Lunch at Muthuu's!!!

Dave
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:34 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
CHANGI TOUR UPDATE - AGENDA

Folks,

The agenda is now confirmed to include the following:

A. Changi Airport Tour - 9.30am to 11.30am
B. UA/SATS Tour - 11.30am to 2.30pm

UA are going to include SATS (their handling partner in SIN) on the tour. So between 11.30am to 12noon, we will hear from them.

At noon, we are going to transfer to the SATS facility, where they are going to host lunch, plus provide a tour of SATS catering and the SATS kitchen.

Given that how much UA actually spend on catering, you may want to eat prior (kidding)

Meeting Point:
Starbucks, Terminal 2

Need to Bring:
Passport.

Important notes:
1. Camera's - bring them if you want. We will soon find out if you can't take photos (ie when the airport Police take those offenders to the "other" Changi (kidding))
2. Your airport pass will be handed out to you once we meet the Changi Airport Group (CAG) staff at 9.30am and is good for 24-hrs. (not advisable to sell these on eBay)
3. Luggage - There are luggage storage facilities in the lower floors of the terminals, but you may have to pay to use (ie you are all adults, figure this part out yourself)
4. Dietary Requirements: please be responsible for this yourself. The tour to SATS catering is not a flight, where you can simply pre-book meals.

The GM for UA Singapore is going to host us for the UA component.

We wont have time to visit EK this trip, maybe next time.

Bear with me...

May the upgrade Gods smile on you next week

SIMON

Last edited by eightblack; Jan 4, 2011 at 9:11 pm Reason: Updated agenda to include UA and SATS component
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Details on the Day Trip to Batam
We will be taking a the "Batam Fast" ferry that departs Singapore Harbourfront Center at 10:50 AM. You should arrive to the ferry terminal no later than 10:20 AM because you will need to buy your ticket, checkin, and go through immigration proceedings. For those of you heading over from the St. Regis or Hyatt, we can split a taxi leaving promptly at 10:00 AM.

The costs of the ferry have increased since I checked before. The cost for a round trip ticket will be $41 SGD. This includes the fare, surcharges, and immigration taxes. We will use the Batam Fast ferry.

The cost of a visa is now $25 USD for a 30 day visa. I'm pretty sure this is a one time only use visa and it will take up a page on the passport.

We will return on the 4:30 PM ferry. The ferries depart every 60-70 minutes if anyone wants to leave earlier or later.

Activities for the day will center around the Nagoya/Batam Centre area. The rough outline will be lunch, visiting Vihara Duta Maitreya(temple), shopping, and some beers. I will put together a formal list of activities and where we will dine this week and post it here.

At this point, for those that will be attending please PM me so I can put together a list. Also, since there will be people staying at the Conrad, I will try to coordinate for everyone staying there to meet in the lobby. I'll be bringing lots of $5 USD bills for the visas if people need the smaller bills(for exchange to SGD) since they may be hard to come by.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
hiya, campers!

alas, i will not be attending sin-do this year. i do, however, have a few extra swu's available for anyone flying on UA in y (or paid c) who'd like to upgrade. feel free to pm me if you can use some.

thanks to everyone who pm'd support/routings, looks like you all will have a ball!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Batam per post above

I believe that a 1020 arrival may be cutting it too close. YMMV. Please remember that it is Saturday, so the ferries may be more crowded than previous trips which were always on Friday.

Visas are indeed $25 U.S., best payable with US dollars as the conversion rate on the Indonesian side is not particularly attractive. They are single entry but are good for thirty days should you decide to fall in love. The $10 visa is a thing of the distant past.

Taxis are fixed rate from the terminal. They can also be hired for a duration of time. I believe the best strategy for this is to take one into town and negotiate on the way. For your return, it is fairly easy to find a car to the terminal. Just go to a hotel and ask them to either call one or take the hotel car. Determine your cost in advance. Please remember that there are four different terminals on Batam depending upon the ferry line and ultimate destination.

Another thing to remember that there is a one hour time difference between Singapore and Batam. When it is 4 p.m. in Singapore it is 3 p.m. in Batam.

Upon return, if you cannot find a taxi (for example if it is raining), the MRT across from Harbourfronte is an excellent and inexpensive alternative. Just follow sign to the MRT. The taxi queue is not where the taxi will have dropped you off on the way to Batam. Again just follow signs. Ferries for the most part take credit cards. Indonesian rupiah are the preferred currency. Available at the ferry terminal or at money changers in town (hard to find).

Beware that you may be subject to overcharges in Batam so it is best (imperative) to ask the price before you order. Verify the bill before presenting cash or a credit card. Credit cards may or may not have a surcharge added by the establishment.

Have fun.

Last edited by opushomes; Jan 4, 2011 at 5:00 pm
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:24 pm

One more last minute attendee! Me! At least I think so. I just bought a ticket, so I guess I have 24 hours to cancel out should I change my mind.

Booked on the United party flight!

I guess I am too late to book for the airport tour, but that is okay. Count me in for Sat dinner. I'll probably attend most of the other activities as well. I've never been to Singapore before.

Oh, I'm staying till 8am on Wednesday. If anyone else is staying longer & wants to do more sightseeing with me, just let me know. Else, I am perfectly fine on my own. I did ten days in South Africa on my own in Nov/Dec, so I think I can manage Singapore on my own.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
I won't join you on Batam Tour......hoping to see cousin that day and if not, do other options until late afternoon...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
For those of us that aren't staying on Orchard Rd and want to experience SMRT, do you recommend a 3 day tourist pass or just loading up an ez-link?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by qbrain
For those of us that aren't staying on Orchard Rd and want to experience SMRT, do you recommend a 3 day tourist pass or just loading up an ez-link?
If you think you'll be back in SIN at some point in time, I'd recommend that you buy an EZ-Link card and add money as needed. It's a better value over the long term.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by karenkay
hiya, campers!

alas, i will not be attending sin-do this year. i do, however, have a few extra swu's available for anyone flying on UA in y (or paid c) who'd like to upgrade. feel free to pm me if you can use some.

thanks to everyone who pm'd support/routings, looks like you all will have a ball!
Sorry to hear that, Karen . You will be missed.

I also have ONE spare SWU that I would be happy to donate to any SIN DO travellers, if needed. Please PM me.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
HILTON High Tea/Lunch on Saturday

EDIT: See post #522 for updated Attendees list and info

Anyone who is not going to Batam and would like to do the popular Hilton Hotel High Tea/Lunch Buffet, on Saturday, please show your interest here on thread. We will need to make a table booking advance, so please let me know ASAP. bschaff1 will post in front page once we have some details .

I am thinking we can arrive at 1pm for the buffet. Seanthepilot organised this last year and it was excellent.

I will try to find some info on current prices, but from memory we paid around $37++ SGN last year. If any locals would be prepared to call the hotel to make a Flyertalk table booking for us, please let me know.

It's at Checkers Brasserie, runs from 12-4pm
http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...pore/dining.do

581 Orchard Road
Singapore, Singapore, 238883
65-67-372-233

Thanks

Last edited by Downunder girl; Jan 8, 2011 at 5:53 am Reason: updated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.