Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Mastercard - Merchant Database Compromise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Mastercard - Merchant Database Compromise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I got a new card (AA Visa) from Citi two weeks ago along with a merchant database note. I called today, and like past callers, was told that they didn't have/couldn't tell me who the merchant is.

But the agent actually did suggest I google for "merchant credit card database compromise". This thread came up #1 on that search. Gotta love Flyertalk.

I will say that my past experience with Citi in this area was positive. Several years ago, they called me to validate 4 charges that had been flagged as suspicious. (I hung up and called them back, to ensure it wasn't phishing) and then was able to quickly confirm that the charges were not by me. They immediately removed the charges, sent me an affadavit to sign, and a new card. Changing the number on autopay and other merchant sites is a nuisance, but otherwise it was handled well, and all before I had ever noticed anything amiss.

Happy, thanks for the link, searching now...

Edit to add - I looked back 6 months on the list, and didn't find anyone with whom I'd charged anything. But it was surprising what a high percentage of breaches are at Government or Educational institutions.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL GM, Mar Slv, HH Gld
Heartland Breach

http://www.2008breach.com/

This is the likely source of many of your compromised accounts.

Funny how so many jumped on various bank conspiracy theories. These breaches are, unfortunately, not that uncommon over time.

And to those looking for disclosure from the bank of the impacted 3rd party -- how would you feel if you were the 3rd party? There are contracts/agreements, criminal and/or civil investigations (and potentially litigation), and other factors that prevent the bank from disclosing this information. Do you think the customer service reps and supervisors are really trying to withhold information from you? They want to keep you as a customer!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by DL201*******
Funny how so many jumped on various bank conspiracy theories.
Funny how the card provider (Citi) that probably had less than 5% of my card transactions last year was the only one who replaced one of my cards last year.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: DL GM, Mar Slv, HH Gld
notquiteaff, please don't interpret that as a personal attack - it was a general observation of human nature.

To know what's really going on, we would need full disclosure from all merchants, merchant processors, and issuers - which we simply do not have. Today is much better than 5 years ago, but still not transparent (and in most cases, timely) to the customer. As you can see from the Heartland issue, it extends well back into 2008, but it's only surfacing to the public today and they are having to do damage control.

I personally agree with erring on the side of caution, although each issuer will have its own decision and justification of what to do in a potential (or real) compromise situation.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Citi decided unilaterally to reissue my card recently, and did so rather ungracefully -- I've started logging in regularly to check current charges, and they just stopped showing up. It wasn't until I saw a discrepancy between what showed up in my credit union's electronic bill delivery ($XXX.XX) and what citicards.com said ($0.00) that I knew something had happened.

And (as with others) they are refusing to tell me what merchant caused them to revoke the card or any other details which might lead me to discover any error I made. This is total BS.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 4:29 pm

More speculation about major credit card system breaches

.. can be found at datalossdb.org:

http://datalossdb.org/incident_highl...ocessor-breach
http://datalossdb.org/incident_highl...utlet-near-you
http://datalossdb.org/incident_highl...reach-timeline
Old Apr 7, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
It must still be going on. I just got a notice from Citi shutting down my PPE MC because of a merchant's data breach.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:35 pm

Most of these breaches have been on the merchant side, so it has nothing to do with what bank your card is with.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:46 am

I logged onto my PPE-WE account and saw a message saying there may potentially be unauthorized access to my account so I called right away. They said it was on the merchant side, but said that the merchant was unidentified at this point and that they were sending me a new card.

Yes, a phone call would have been nice...
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, Choice Gold, CitiPrestige, TYP
Originally Posted by barrance
I logged onto my PPE-WE account and saw a message saying there may potentially be unauthorized access to my account so I called right away. They said it was on the merchant side, but said that the merchant was unidentified at this point and that they were sending me a new card.

Yes, a phone call would have been nice...
Happened to me as well when I logged on to pay my bill.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Gold
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the original security breach that was the topic of this thread was reported in the newsmedia? I've tried googling without any luck.

Someone was asking why people are so worried about it. I'm a case in point. I was on an extended trip abroad in Russia and had called citi ahead of time so that security knew about it and my card didn't get declined all the time. I used the card as a backup to my principal Amex card.

One day I need to use the MC for a business dinner -- DECLINED. Call Citi later to find out that the card had been cancelled and a new one issued and sent out to my US address -- which I'd told them would be inaccessible. Anyone could have gotten that card. No phone call to my US number that works overseas and which I'd given Citi.

I had them sent a replacement overnight to Moscow. Never got there because they sent it regular snail mail. After at least two more tries to get it overnighted, I asked for them to freeze it and send me a bill. Never got the bill.

Little did I know they'd kept the clock running on the account as being overdue (in spite of my not being able to check the account on line or get a bill sent to Russia).

I paid the balance in full (they waived the finance charges when they realized it was their screw up) when I came back two months later and was able to look at a bill.

Problem is that now I need to write a letter of explanation to my explain why I have one $200 late payment on my otherwise excellent credit report.

I was hoping to get some sort of news report or even press release to reference in the letter to show I'm not making this security breach up.

Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by CheVive
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the original security breach that was the topic of this thread was reported in the newsmedia? I've tried googling without any luck.
There have been many credit card processing-related security breaches disclosed in the news media. For one big one, search for "Heartland breach", though there hasn't been much in the news lately about it.

Citi customer service went beyond unhelpful into actively misleading when I attempted to find out why they revoked my card; I think it's unlikely that they will allow you to connect their revocation of your card with any particular publicly disclosed incident.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: AA PLT
Citi is still replacing cards

I just got a replacement Citi AA Visa in the mail yesterday under the same 'merchant database compromise' notice. Never had a prior replacement.

Does anyone know whether they're still replacing cards under the earlier 2008 breach? Or is there a more recent one in the news?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by kbins
I just got a replacement Citi AA Visa in the mail yesterday under the same 'merchant database compromise' notice. Never had a prior replacement.

Does anyone know whether they're still replacing cards under the earlier 2008 breach? Or is there a more recent one in the news?
Those that know at citi aren't talking

If this is fallout from the Heartland incident, the "merchant database compromise" notice is at best misleading and at worst an outright lie, as Heartland isn't what I'd think of as a "merchant" -- it's a service provider to merchants.

Card revocations from the heartland incident continue to make the news. See:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2009063...019980/-1/NEWS
http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/arti...hp?art_id=1568

Perhaps Heartland didn't actually plug all the holes and is still being actively exploited -- I can't think of any other reason why the revocations are still dribbling out.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Sommerfeld
Those that know at citi aren't talking

If this is fallout from the Heartland incident, the "merchant database compromise" notice is at best misleading and at worst an outright lie, as Heartland isn't what I'd think of as a "merchant" -- it's a service provider to merchants.

Card revocations from the heartland incident continue to make the news. See:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2009063...019980/-1/NEWS
http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/arti...hp?art_id=1568

Perhaps Heartland didn't actually plug all the holes and is still being actively exploited -- I can't think of any other reason why the revocations are still dribbling out.
I just got the message when I logged in to check my Citi Diamond Preferred Mastercard account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.