Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Platinum Select Visa vs Citi Dividend Platinum Select

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:34 am
Original Poster

I was wondering what thought and specifically why the Citi Platinum Select Visa Card would be recommended over the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa Card (is it the high APR?).

Thanks!
Lee
Old Jan 29, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
Originally Posted by noracle
I was wondering what thought and specifically why the Citi Platinum Select Visa Card would be recommended over the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa Card (is it the high APR?).

Thanks!
Lee
The only reason to choose Platinum Select is that its interest rate is lower than Dividend Platinum Select. The regular Platinum Select is TYPICALLY not a reward card. Therefore, you get a lower rate but no rewards with the regular Platinum Select.

Frankly if the interest rate is your concern, maybe a Merrill+ card http://card.ml.com or a Credit Union card would be a better choice.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:00 pm

I've had the Dividend Select for many years. It used to be a sub 10% card. I used to be able to call them up and get a lower rate. Now they tell me to shove off. I get the feeling they would prefer people on other cards.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I am more of an all around rewards card. Which one will be better?

Thanks!
Lee
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
Originally Posted by noracle
Thanks for the reply. I am more of an all around rewards card. Which one will be better?

Thanks!
Lee

This is a tough question. There are several types of cards:

a. Cards that offer broad redemption offers, but a low number of points per $

- SPG AMEX
- AMEX Green/Gold/Platinum
- Diners Club

These cards usually offer 1 point per $. You can get 1.25 points per $ on these cards through special offers. You can redeem points on airlines, hotels, and merchandise. These cards have annual fees, but also come with benefits that you may appreciate.

b. Cards that offer a high number of points per $, but limited redemption offers. Citi is the best of this breed right now:

- Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards
- Citi Platinum American Express
- Citi Professional Card
- Citi Chairman AMEX
- Citi Driver's Edge
- Citi Premier Pass

Take a look at Citi Premier Pass, Citi Premier Pass Elite, Citi Pro, and Citi Platinum American Express. Many people carry one of each of these cards. All of them come with initial bonus points, i.e. 10,000 or more.

Points in this program cannot be transferred to hotels or airlines. However you can redeem them for tickets through Citi.

My personal favorites in this program are Citi Professional and Citi Platinum AMEX.

c. Cards that offer cash back.

Many people would rather have cash. Consider AMEX Blue and Fidelity Investment Rewards. This is a tough one because there are so many cards and the best card really depends on what you spend your money on.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Many Thanks Awake.

Lee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.