Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi® Diamond Preferred® Rewards Card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by munjk1
I think the AT&T Universal Card was withdrawn as of June 2006.

Appreciate the feedback from the other respondents.
My ATT Universal Card (with cash back) was cancelled by Citibank as of June 30, 2006. ATT Universal Card now has the same percent "rebate" but it is now in thank you points. Gift cards for Shell gasoline are one of the ways the points can be used and to my way of thinking this is pretty much the same as getting the cash back.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by munjk1
I have a question about the above card. It gives you five miles towards any airline ticket for every one dollar purchase of gas, drugstores, or supermarkets (with an initial 5000 points bonus). Therefore, to accumulate 25,000 miles in order to get a ticket, you need to spend $5000 towards such purchases. A cash rebate card would give you $250 back on such $5000 purchases.

It looks to me that $250 does not buy you a ticket of any significance to anywhere these days. That means the above card that allows you a roundtrip ticket with $5000 purchases is a superior deal. Am I correct in my assessment? Does anyone have personal experience with this card?
I'm going to chime in for the Starwood Amex like the others.

But...if you don't have any miles at all in any accounts, or very little, and don't plan to fly much, you might want to take a look at the Capital One Visa Signature. It earns 2 points per dollar on everything...but tends to be reserved for people with highest credit quality.

This page has an excel file you can monkey around with. Doesn't have Citi Diamond Preferred Select specifically, but does have one of the Thank You network cards (Premier Pass) so you can see the redemption levels.

http://www.milecards.com/purchasepower.html

Still, the Starwood Amex seems to be the best no BS card out there, for the reasons already mentioned. It beats the Cap One card on every category except for the fact you have to remember to xfer points, but big deal.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:58 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Diners Club, Citi Chairman, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, SPG Gold, Marriott Slvr
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I'm going to chime in for the Starwood Amex like the others.

But...if you don't have any miles at all in any accounts, or very little, and don't plan to fly much, you might want to take a look at the Capital One Visa Signature. It earns 2 points per dollar on everything...but tends to be reserved for people with highest credit quality.

This page has an excel file you can monkey around with. Doesn't have Citi Diamond Preferred Select specifically, but does have one of the Thank You network cards (Premier Pass) so you can see the redemption levels.

http://www.milecards.com/purchasepower.html

Still, the Starwood Amex seems to be the best no BS card out there, for the reasons already mentioned. It beats the Cap One card on every category except for the fact you have to remember to xfer points, but big deal.
The premier pass elite rating is incorrect. If you fly alot you will earn 2-3 points per dollar spent (i.e. each purchase point will be matched with a flight point; spending at gas/grocery/drug will give you an additional bonus point). The diamond card would be comparable 1 pt for regular purchases and 5 pts for gas/grocery/drug (FOR THE FIRST YEAR). Therefore the priority pass rating is bogus. However the spreadsheet is nice.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by awake_at_midnight
The premier pass elite rating is incorrect. If you fly alot you will earn 2-3 points per dollar spent (i.e. each purchase point will be matched with a flight point; spending at gas/grocery/drug will give you an additional bonus point). The diamond card would be comparable 1 pt for regular purchases and 5 pts for gas/grocery/drug (FOR THE FIRST YEAR). Therefore the priority pass rating is bogus. However the spreadsheet is nice.
Yeah, I had to go in there manually and play with the points per dollar in that spreadsheet to match my profile...which is why I guess they let you download it.

Most of my tickets for work are on their amex, so I can't take advantage of the 5 point premierpass bonus, but do have a lot of grocery...so am around 1.5 miles/dollar on some of those cards like premier pass with the 'everyday' component. Still stick with the Starwood myself because of the hotel option though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.