Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Rewards/Airline Redemption [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi ThankYou Rewards/Airline Redemption [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by psychtobe
Has anyone been able to redeem TYPs for not only the exact flight you want but for a higher fare class than the cheapest available for the specific flights?

I see a flight pricing around $450 in taxes which means it should be 20k TYPs plus about $60 in taxes, and it's in a higher fare class earning bonus EQMs than the lowest available fare class on that same flight.

Any experience here?

you can pick any flight/flight number you want as long as it falls within the cap and if it goes over, pay the difference in the following manner:

"simply redeem 5,000 more points for an incremental $50 in ticket value, up to a maximum of 8 increases per ticket."
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by anaggie
you can pick any flight/flight number you want as long as it falls within the cap and if it goes over, pay the difference ...
If I understand correctly, this does not answer the question. There will be many fares offered by the same carrier on the identical flights. Will Expedia always purchase the lowest fare on the chosen flights, or will the cardholder be able to request a specific booking class such as "B" that still falls below the cap?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Has anyone been able to redeem TYPs for not only the exact flight you want but for a higher fare class than the cheapest available for the specific flights?

I see a flight pricing around $450 in taxes which means it should be 20k TYPs plus about $60 in taxes, and it's in a higher fare class earning bonus EQMs than the lowest available fare class on that same flight.

Any experience here?
Yes, I, too, would love to be able to do this. On United I need H-class or above on international flights to be able to upgrade, and sometimes these tickets are below the price caps (+ taxes and fees). But I haven't tried requesting a particular fare class so would love to know if there is some way of doing this.

I suspect not since even on expedia there is no way of doing this. You can request changeable tickets, which probably means M-class which is too expensive.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:32 pm

First time to post here. Be nice to me please. :-)
Will I get the flight points with Citi PremirePass Elite card?

I redeemed two roundtrip tickets to Asia (Called in, 60K points each, total 120K points and 2.5K more points to UPS the paper ticket to me) in May with my thankyou points and paid the tax ($75.01*2) with citi premierpass elite card . We took the flight on June 10 and Aug.5 Will I get the flight points automatically? Or do I need to fax/mail the boarding pass? Or I can't get the flight points at all?

Thank you for your reply.

BTW, the charge shows on statement like this:
05/25 05/25 xxxxxxxx THANK YOU NETWORK LONG ISLAND C NY Standard Purch 150.02

The tickets were from Expedia. Ticket showed about $1800 each, roughtly about 3c per point. Very good deal.

IAH-EWR-PEK-CSX on June 10
CSX-PEK-EWR-IAH on Aug.5
Old Sep 7, 2007, 8:31 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
No Flight Points

If you booked travel with your TYPs, you did not charge the travel on your card, so you will not get any flight points.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: AA : GOLD
Originally Posted by jayzee9
If you booked travel with your TYPs, you did not charge the travel on your card, so you will not get any flight points.
I think at one point in time, people were paying the taxes with the PP card and were also getting the points per mile, but Citi closed that loophole. Or they were paying for an upgrade and then getting the points for miles.
The last two rewards tickets I got did not post any TY points.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:23 am

I got flight points for a reward ticket I flew in July posted in my most recent statement.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:45 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Reward tickets

It is true that some people have received miles for AIRLINES REWARDS TICKETS. This is because it charges you the taxes along with the itinerary.

TYP AWARD TICKETS cannot make the same mistake. This is because the line item charge shows up as a TYP charge, and not an airline charge with an itinerary.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Platinum, LY Maybe:)
I recently had a different experience - I got points for my TYP redemption. I received 12,000 flight points for which I paid $90 in taxes.

Originally Posted by jayzee9
It is true that some people have received miles for AIRLINES REWARDS TICKETS. This is because it charges you the taxes along with the itinerary.

TYP AWARD TICKETS cannot make the same mistake. This is because the line item charge shows up as a TYP charge, and not an airline charge with an itinerary.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Platinum, LY Maybe:)
The TYP agents do NOT see the class they are booking and therefore will not book a specific class for you.

Any experience here?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by oresh
The TYP agents do NOT see the class they are booking and therefore will not book a specific class for you.
This was my experience as well. The only thing I could do was look up the fare codes in Expedia myself.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by ftweb
Yes, I, too, would love to be able to do this. On United I need H-class or above on international flights to be able to upgrade, and sometimes these tickets are below the price caps (+ taxes and fees). But I haven't tried requesting a particular fare class so would love to know if there is some way of doing this.

I suspect not since even on expedia there is no way of doing this. You can request changeable tickets, which probably means M-class which is too expensive.
You can see the fare code on Expedia and then tell the TYP agent ypou want that flight. Look under "Fare rules" or "Rules and restrictions" and then tell the TYP the flight you want.

They see the EXACT same screen you do. This has been confirmed by a CSR to me personally and that is what I do.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
another 'new' issue I'm running into is trying to get the before-all-taxes-and-fees price of tickets. For example I'm looking at continental.com and a flight which is pricing at $430 + $32 taxes = $462. From prior experience I know that the $430 includes a tax which Thank You network will charge me for; but it makes a difference if the actual base fare is $399 or $400, because that $1 could cost me 5000 Thank you Points.

Any suggestions?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Why not just search at Expedia? When you go through the process of purchasing the flight (basically the screen after you're selected both the outbound and inbound flights), Expedia gives the breakdown in terms of base fare and taxes. That's probably as definitive as it gets without actually redeeming the points.

Otherwise you can estimate it. Typically the only tax which Expedia puts as a tax but the airlines build into the base fare is the 7.5% federal excise tax. So $430 / 1.075 = $400 exactly. My interpretation is that $400 is still 20k points (phrase is "up to $400").
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by acf573
Why not just search at Expedia? When you go through the process of purchasing the flight (basically the screen after you're selected both the outbound and inbound flights), Expedia gives the breakdown in terms of base fare and taxes. That's probably as definitive as it gets without actually redeeming the points.

Otherwise you can estimate it. Typically the only tax which Expedia puts as a tax but the airlines build into the base fare is the 7.5% federal excise tax. So $430 / 1.075 = $400 exactly. My interpretation is that $400 is still 20k points (phrase is "up to $400").
This is what I'm seeing at Expedia:

1 Ticket / Roundtrip
PDX Portland to
DAL Dallas
Leave: Wed 26-Dec
Return: Wed 2-Jan
1 adult $429.99
Taxes & Fees $33.11
Total $463.10

That's after choosing outbound and return. Is there another place I should be looking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.