Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi drops "group" from name. to drop umbrella logo.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1171..._whats_news_us

Citigroup sells its umbrella trademark to St. Paul Travelers and unify its brands under the Citi name. St. Paul will change its name to Travelers.

Citigroup Inc. is folding up its famous red umbrella, which will return to its roots as an insurance logo.

Citigroup, unveiling a long-awaited rebranding initiative in which most business lines will be simply dubbed Citi, said Tuesday it is selling its iconic umbrella logo to St. Paul Travelers Cos. St. Paul, which bought Citigroup's Travelers insurance unit for about $16 billion in 2004 but didn't get the coveted logo, said it is changing its name to Travelers Cos. and will switch to a new ticker symbol, TRV.

Neither company disclosed terms of the transaction, which is subject to regulatory approvals ...
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If one were participating in the trial of the Citigroup Chairman American Express Card the physical card could prove quite attractive to a collector. It would have the discontinued Citigroup name and umbrella logo, and very very few with the American Express logo would have been manufactured . This assumes that when the card is officially launched it will say "Citi" with a new logo, if any.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
it does say that citi WILL be keeping the Arc logo (just canning the umbrella loga for Citigroup), so for most cards we won't even notice a difference
Old Feb 14, 2007, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
citi shed the group part a few months ago officially fyi.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:47 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
That was always a strange one to me anyway. Someone actually thought it was good to keep the umbrella logo, long only associated with Travelers, and not keep the only name it really means anything to. Does anyone feel more comfortable that Primerica's logo has the umbrella? http://www.primerica.com/ Just silly, although they probably extorted a couple extra bucks from St Paul this way. Or maybe not. Maybe St Paul got the logo cheaper by waiting. Either way, this puts things back where they make more sense for everyone. (I actually have some insurance with Travelers but didn't become a customer until after the St Paul buyout. I noticed the lack of umbrella logo at that time.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.