Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi/AAdvantage Gold or Platinum best deal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:02 am
Original Poster

I'm thinking of getting a Citi AAdvantage card. I spend enough that I'll be able to get an off-peak award flight to Europe (40,000) each year, making it worth an annual fee.

Question I have, is why would I pay the higher annual fee ($85/yr) for the platinum, when it gives me the same 1 mile/$ that the gold does for $50/yr.

I understand that I can get 12,500 miles vs 10,000 for signing up, but that's just a one time deal. And 10K for $50 is a better deal than 12.5K for $85. I also understand that I need 2,500 fewer miles w/ Platinum for the "Reduced Mileage Awards". But I only get 1 maybe 2 awards a year, and it's only for select destinations, so no guarantee it will help.

I've read the terms and conditions of both cards, and I just can't see why I would pay the extra. I must be missing something, and I'm guessing since I haven't seen any discussion of the subject on this board, that it must be something pretty obvious that I'll be embarassed I didn't realize. Any advice appreciated that will help me make a decision platinum or gold.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:37 pm

Talking

the mmain difference is 100,000 miles/year for platinum limit vs 50,000/year for gold
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
An alternative to Citibank AA is to split your purchases and get the following rebates:

5% on gas, groceries and pharmacy purchases - Citibank Dividend card ($300 annual limit

3% on restauranting dining with Chase for Profit Card https://www.chasecreditcard.com/Temp...ative=a27ctb03

1.5% on all other purchases with Fidelity Mastercard

With a $40K spending, you should be able to get at least $600 in cash rebate back. That's enough to get a off season ticket to Europe.

S
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by amchap
I'm thinking of getting a Citi AAdvantage card. I spend enough that I'll be able to get an off-peak award flight to Europe (40,000) each year, making it worth an annual fee.

Question I have, is why would I pay the higher annual fee ($85/yr) for the platinum, when it gives me the same 1 mile/$ that the gold does for $50/yr.

I understand that I can get 12,500 miles vs 10,000 for signing up, but that's just a one time deal. And 10K for $50 is a better deal than 12.5K for $85. I also understand that I need 2,500 fewer miles w/ Platinum for the "Reduced Mileage Awards". But I only get 1 maybe 2 awards a year, and it's only for select destinations, so no guarantee it will help.

I've read the terms and conditions of both cards, and I just can't see why I would pay the extra. I must be missing something, and I'm guessing since I haven't seen any discussion of the subject on this board, that it must be something pretty obvious that I'll be embarassed I didn't realize. Any advice appreciated that will help me make a decision platinum or gold.
It seems you think you have to pay the fee for the card you get the signup bonus for. Not at all, necessarily.

Citi often has a promo where you get your first 6 months freee with signing up for a Platinum card. Do that, get your higher Platinum bonus, it'll post way before 6 months, and then when the annual fee is coming up, request to be downgraded either to Gold or even Bronze (which is no fee but only 1 miles/2$ spent). That way you get the signup bonus of the Platinum but only have to play the annual fee (if any) for the Gold or Bronze. When such an offer is available, it makes no sense to sign up for the less Gold bonus (unless you can't qualify for the Platinum).
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:29 am

Well, I was informed by the Citi AAdvantage card people (telephone CSR) that you can actually apply for, and hold, both the Gold and the Platinum cards, and receive the bonus miles for both.

If that's the case, one might be well advised to apply for the Gold now, and when that one is up for renewal, apply for the Platinum (or vice versa).
Old Dec 31, 2004, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
I've had a AAdvantage Gold for awhile and recently received the offer to move to Platinum. Aside from the previously mentioned differences, it also offers a "Free Companion Certificate". I'm guessing this is a one-time bonus. Is that correct? I think I would probably use the certificate (domestic only, ticket cost of at least $358). It seems like this would be worth the extra $30 - maybe....
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:21 pm
hawkeyenfo

So what's the max # of citi cards you can have? Does it matter? I just applied for another AA gold/platinum off te website. My first one I had cancelled a few months ago.

Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:58 am

More input to Citi AA

Here is some info to cause you to think twice about Citi AA Cards. Actually the issue is not with Citi but with AA.

I have racked up 170,000 points in 4 years, mostly from simple purchases (1%). So Let's talk about redemption...

AA only makes unattractive flights available for redemption. I'm going to LasVegas Feb 14 to Feb 17 from Detroit. I have to fly through Dallas. This makes a 3 hour flight a 7 hour flight instead (!!) with layover. For a short trip this is terrible. I started researching available flights back in Sept.

I'm planning a trip to the United Kingdom next year. AA Awards flights outbound to UK have OK times (red eye flights which are highly normal) at 11 to 12 hours. But the return flights are terrible at 17 hours (ouch!) back because they route you through..... Dallas.... which includes a 3 hour layover ....after a 2 week trip. The 17 hour return flight is for any month, any day. I've spent hours looking for a better AA Award return flight.

I'm looking for a card that allows me to pick the flight.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor
Well, I was informed by the Citi AAdvantage card people (telephone CSR) that you can actually apply for, and hold, both the Gold and the Platinum cards, and receive the bonus miles for both.

If that's the case, one might be well advised to apply for the Gold now, and when that one is up for renewal, apply for the Platinum (or vice versa).
Have both Gold and Platinum without any problems of earning miles
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by BlueJayTraveler
I'm planning a trip to the United Kingdom next year. AA Awards flights outbound to UK have OK times (red eye flights which are highly normal) at 11 to 12 hours. But the return flights are terrible at 17 hours (ouch!) back because they route you through..... Dallas.... which includes a 3 hour layover

I'm looking for a card that allows me to pick the flight.
Isn't that a general hub-spoke model issue. Becasue they fly you to the hub and then make you wait for a flight, you end up wasting time instead of just being able to go point to point? When I fly Singapore Airlines, I'm almot sure that a few hours will be added to my trip becasue I'm routed through singapore almost every time. Worst was LAX->Taipei->Singapore->Bombay with 2 layovers.

If you want to pick the flights, it's often best to just go for cash back cards. With cash in hand, you can pick any airline, anytime, without needing to worry about seat restrictions or other limitations except maybe the annual cash rebate maximum. For example, with 1.5% back from fidelity you'd have over $2K in cash for your purchases which can by quite a few trips to the UK; even though the money sits in a money market account, you can get a check issued for it. Maybe something to consider before going for another airline card
Old Feb 3, 2005, 4:25 pm

Thank you....

I had been thinking about the Fidelity Card 1.5% cash back but did not want the hassel of setting up the account. Even though it is 'Platinum' there was no detail on what services it includes. I called them (the order taker knew very little) and after 10 minutes he was able to read (text) about the CDW insurance that is provided. So this is apparently a full service card...(??). I signed up for it. Thanks for helping me conclude that the Airline programs are all going to have limitations. Capital One (you pick and pay for the flight) is better, but the 'cost' is still 1% vs. 1.5% at Fidelity. Thank you.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, CO OnePass, UA
Originally Posted by amchap

I know this is an old thread but, 8 years later, a lot has changed in terms of benefits and I have the same question now as the OP... I was recently offered the chance to UPGRADE my existing Citi Gold AAdvantage card to Citi Platinum AAdvantage, without even a Credit Check and without any change in my APR (which is low as hell at %11.24) -- the main difference would be the annual fee which will go up from $50 to $95 a year.

Is this something I should do?

I am AA Executive Platinum so most of the benefits like priority boarding and free checked bags don't do much for me -- the only thing that would make me consider this is the newly introduced benefit for Platinums on Award Tickets of getting 10% of the redeemed AAdvantage miles back - up to 10,000 AAdvantage miles each calendar year.

Thanks for your advice.

[PS: On a sidenote, I'd love to know if there is any benefit in getting the Visa Signature or the World MasterCard...)

Here is a link for the cards:
https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...-credit-cards/
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:02 pm

My husband switched his gold card to Citi Platinum AAdvantage because of the benefits. I called the other day and asked for a retention bonus on my Citi Gold AAdvantage card. I was offered 20K miles after I spend $4,000 in 6 months. He then called and asked for a similar bonus, but was told no because he is receiving all the benefits of the new card. I would first ask for a retention bonus for the Gold card. Once you receive the bonus, switch to the Platinum.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:42 am
In memoriam

IMHO, best strategy is to have an SPG Amex which gets you at least 1.25 AA miles per dollar spent.

As to the Citi AA cards, just cancel when annual fee comes up. Reapply a year or so later and get bonus again.

Never "upgrade" a card as this means foregoing a bonus opportunity you get with a new card app.

Forget purported value of AA two for one certificates. They are very, very hard to use and usually save very little if any money over buying two tickets at a cheaper rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.