Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hurnik
To read previous discussion click HERE

Application link for the Shop Your Way (SYW) MasterCard is HERE.

Accumulating points, expiration, and redemptions:
You can accumulate SYW points in some of the following methods:
  • Bonus offers sent to your email (ie: Spend $750 on Online and get 200,000 SYW Bonus points)
  • Regular spend - categories: 5% in gas, 3% in grocery/restaurants, 2% in SYW Merchants, 1% everywhere else
  • "Missions" in the SYW App (iPhone/Android)
Expiration of points:
Not all points have the same expiration timeframe. Some bonus/incentive points expire in 30 days or less. Most are 1 year. You can check in the SYW app, or the shopyourway.com website. Make sure to redeem the points before they expire!!!!

Redemptions:
You can only redeem $200 worth per day. So if you redeem for a $200 GC, you have to wait until the next day to make another redemption of any amount.

What counted as online purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Amazon purchase or re-load
  • Carters.com (Merchandise-CHILDRENS / INFANTS WEAR STORE)
  • Costco.com
  • Ebay seller fees (direct entry) (MCC: N/A)
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Gift Card Mall
  • Homedepot.com (Merchandise-HOME SUPPLY WAREHOUSE STORES)
  • Iherb.com (Merchandise-MISC FOOD STORE,SPECIALTY,CONVENIENCE)
  • Kygunco.com (Merchandise-DURABLE GOODS, NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Lockedloaded.com (Merchandise-SPORTING GOODS STORES)
  • MileagePlusX (MCC varies)
  • Pirateship.com (Services-COURIER SERVICE, FREIGHT FORWARDERS)
  • Plastiq (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
  • Scholastic.com (Organizations-MISC SCHOOLS / EDUCATIONAL SERVICES)
  • Usmint.gov (Services-MISC GOVERNMENT SERVICES)
  • united.com (Air Travel-UNITED AIRLINES)
  • Texas de Brazil (.com site for GC, VIP cards) - Merchandise - NOVELTY/SOUVENIR SHOPS
What didn't count as online purchase (alphabetical order):
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Geico.com (Services-INSURANCE-SALES / UNDERWRITING)
  • Paypal (MCC varies)
What counted as utilities purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Cable, Satellite, TV (Restaurants-CABLE,SATELLITE,PAY TV/RADIO SERVICES)
  • Telecom (Restaurants-TELEPHONE SERVICE)
  • Telecom (Services-TELEPHONE SERVICE/EQUIPMENT)
  • Utilities (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
What didn't count as Travel purchase (alphabetical order):
  • VRBO
What didn't count as Restaurnt purchase (alphabetical order):
  • Texas de Brazil.com (GC,VIP cards, etc.) - Merchandise - NOVELTY/SOUVENIR SHOPS

Credit Line Increases
This is very odd, but according to the Chatbot on the website:
Q. When requesting a credit limit increase, is the credit inquiry a hard or soft credit inquiry?
A. Unfortunately, until we process the request, there isn't a way for us to know if a credit line increase request will be a soft or hard hit on your credit report. For this reason, we have to receive your permission to pull a copy of your credit report before we process the increase request. If you process the request online, you will see a message stating "By submitting this form, you authorize Citibank, N.A. to obtain your credit report."

To request an increase online:
In order to request an increase, you will need to go to your “Credit Home” page, and find “Available Credit” at the top of the page. Then, click on the link that says “Request Increase” to begin the process.

Print Wikipost

Citi Sears and Shop Your Way (SYW) Cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by supremeflyer
Utilities which code as above do count as online.

Got a progress email.

my hunch is one category/one month offers get a progress email since it is easy to autogenerate.
Thank you, it is what I wanted to find out
TyrannicalDuncery likes this.

Last edited by illuminato; Mar 25, 2024 at 9:23 pm
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by TyrannicalDuncery
I'm not sure whether it also counts as restaurant, but I know people have reported cases where that merchant category is applied and the utility offer triggers. I think it's the same for the online offer but I'm not sure. I will go find links if I have time, someone talked about it in this thread or DoC.
I was able to find confirmation in this thread (see above) that it is codded as online purchase. No idea why not as restaurant purchase.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:49 pm

I've never had "Restaurants-UTILITIES" actually count for any kind of dining offer, I think it's just an error from Citi. It's been like that for a while too.
hurnik and TyrannicalDuncery like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:40 pm

Another data point

my online spend offer posted a few days after I met the requirements, backdated of course to my statement posting date

My theory as to how the system work. Any offer where you have to spend X in a month is checked for everyone on the same dates. If you completed the offer it will post backdated to your statement posting date.

Anything else is checked a few days after you complete the offer.

What are the VCG fees you are seeing at your Walmart neighborhood?

thinking of switching it up if it is cheaper than what my local grocery store charges.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:59 am

Another data point

my online spend offer posted a few days after I met the requirements, backdated of course to my statement posting date

My theory as to how the system work. Any offer where you have to spend X in a month is checked for everyone on the same dates. If you completed the offer it will post backdated to your statement posting date.

Anything else is checked a few days after you complete the offer.

What are the VCG fees you are seeing at your Walmart neighborhood?

thinking of switching it up if it is cheaper than what my local grocery store charges.
Everywhere I go, the VGC are $5.95 for the $500 cards. Make sure you get the Vanilla, serviced by Incomm (IMO) vs. the ones serviced by Blackhawk. The BHN are a PITA to liquidate at my WM (IMO). Supposedly will work for under $99 swipes, but I've not been able to do that. It MAY be BIN specific. The VGA issued by Sutton/Pathward, serviced by Incomm seem to work, but you also (it seems) need to "season" them (ie, buy a pack of gum at a box/local retailer first). Attempts to do anything online first, tend to lock the card (grrr). Once that's done, I've not had issues liquidating at WM to load to Discover for the remaining balance, less a little over a dollar. (ie, I have $497.37 left, I load for say, $495) Put the rest on Amazon reload. (they have $1.00 min. reloads now, BTW).
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik
Everywhere I go, the VGC are $5.95 for the $500 cards. Make sure you get the Vanilla, serviced by Incomm (IMO) vs. the ones serviced by Blackhawk. The BHN are a PITA to liquidate at my WM (IMO). Supposedly will work for under $99 swipes, but I've not been able to do that. It MAY be BIN specific. The VGA issued by Sutton/Pathward, serviced by Incomm seem to work, but you also (it seems) need to "season" them (ie, buy a pack of gum at a box/local retailer first). Attempts to do anything online first, tend to lock the card (grrr). Once that's done, I've not had issues liquidating at WM to load to Discover for the remaining balance, less a little over a dollar. (ie, I have $497.37 left, I load for say, $495) Put the rest on Amazon reload. (they have $1.00 min. reloads now, BTW).
I have to double check but I think mine are $6.95/$5.95. There is a gas station I used to use where it was $1 cheaper than what I was paying at the grocery store. They’ve gotten weird about buying GC with a credit card though.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:55 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
P1 is unable to redeem SYW points on the app for the last 3 or 4 days. I was able to redeem points on P2 today.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:19 am

I am also unable to see any of my TYP summary or redeem through the Sears card portal. I was able to get in through my general Citi login and redeem my sears points since the TYP accounts are linked.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by bergamonster
Did a test payment of $25 after reading this, and that amount was reflected in the email I received this morning about progress towards the bonus, so confirmed as counting for online shopping, thank you!
One difference I did notice was the code on the citi retail services site was actually "Services-DIRECT MARKETING - INSURANCE"
Odd development this morning, as I received another email about by progress but it says that I need to spend $750 (the full amount) on online shopping by 4/14. So I'm not sure if they retroactively stopped counting my spend as online? Although I've had a couple Amazon purchases that posted and so at a bare minimum I should have some level of progress towards the 750...

EDIT: just logged into to get some clarification from support and I see the points have posted so likely just the email not accurately reflecting my progress

Last edited by bergamonster; Apr 1, 2024 at 8:34 am
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:14 am

emails have rarely been accurate for tracking progress. I use the emails as a confirmation of 1. I actually activated the offer 2. Some of my spending is counting.

I manually add what counts once it posts.

I got an email saying I had to spend xxx after I had already gotten the credit for the current month
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:17 am

emails have rarely been accurate for tracking progress. I use the emails as a confirmation of 1. I actually activated the offer 2. Some of my spending is counting.

I manually add what counts once it posts.

I got an email saying I had to spend xxx after I had already gotten the credit for the current month
Yeah, I don't even get the progress emails and I've had 2 promos pay out. My SYW is a recent vintage, late 2023.

Last edited by TyrannicalDuncery; Apr 1, 2024 at 8:40 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:05 pm

I actually had an accurate reporting email today, for once. $388 left to spend ($1000 online spend for $250 in points, mid Mar to mid Apr offer).
hurnik likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:04 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

Holy moly look at the email I just got!
ptatohed and bergamonster like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
Holy moly look at the email I just got!
I just got the same one but for 100 or 200 in Statement credit (don't have the thank you points version of the card)
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:38 pm

I got a 12 month 0% apr offer on individual purchases of $399 and up, but it has this whopper in the terms (seems like they are hoping to trap you):
If the balance is not paid in full within 12 months, interest charges will be imposed from the purchase date at the variable purchase rate on your account which is 30.49% APR
Similar one last year did not have this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.