Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Citi travel portal operated by Booking.com (Open 19 March 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Citi travel portal operated by Booking.com (Open 19 March 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 10:28 am

Hotel reservation can be made for 1 st half of 2023
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:40 pm

So, still no sign of this and we're now in late February. I'm holding onto the prestige in the hope that a new booking portal will make it easier to get value out of the 4th night free, but this roll out it ridiculous. I work in project management, I know stuff like this is hard but this has been very dissappointing.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Productivity
So, still no sign of this and we're now in late February. I'm holding onto the prestige in the hope that a new booking portal will make it easier to get value out of the 4th night free, but this roll out it ridiculous. I work in project management, I know stuff like this is hard but this has been very dissappointing.
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the new booking portal will make it easier to get value out of the 4th night free? Easier in what way?

Regards
Old Feb 23, 2023, 1:06 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by scubadu
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the new booking portal will make it easier to get value out of the 4th night free? Easier in what way?

Regards
I also believe this. The portal will be serviced by Booking, which has a much larger inventory of properties and (hopefully) prices more in line with typical OTA pricing vs. the current portal.

I was unable to make use of the benefit on any of my trips last year. In some cases, literally zero hotels on offer, and these were tourist destinations - not remote villages.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
Right now, a large proportion of hotels are unfindable. I've had off chain stays where I don't have to worry about losing benefits where I just can't find the hotel at all. THose would have been perfect. I'm hoping that with Booking.com having a better search and overall inventory I can drive more value out of it.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by moe8555
I also believe this. The portal will be serviced by Booking, which has a much larger inventory of properties and (hopefully) prices more in line with typical OTA pricing vs. the current portal.

I was unable to make use of the benefit on any of my trips last year. In some cases, literally zero hotels on offer, and these were tourist destinations - not remote villages.
Originally Posted by Productivity
Right now, a large proportion of hotels are unfindable. I've had off chain stays where I don't have to worry about losing benefits where I just can't find the hotel at all. THose would have been perfect. I'm hoping that with Booking.com having a better search and overall inventory I can drive more value out of it.
Fair enough. We've never really had trouble finding the specific properties that we were looking for but we tend to use this benefit in a pretty targeted manner.

I guess we will see what happens...

Regards
Old Feb 24, 2023, 1:49 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Front page article from The Points Guy basically stating the portal is delayed with no estimated launch date:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/citi-t...rtal-overhaul/
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT
That TPG article was updated today:

Citi Travel with Booking.com will launch Sunday, March 19.
Blackheath likes this.

Last edited by mia; Mar 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm Reason: Remove link
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
That TPG article was updated today:
Thanks for posting this update!
Old Mar 19, 2023, 6:29 am

i WAS LOCKED OUT OF THE OLD TRAVEL SITE FOR ABOUT A YEAR ( because of the Citi system)- THE NEW SITE I CAN NOW GET IN--SORRY ABOUT CAPS

I tried it today -many of my hotel's poor value . Many with very hi "EXTRA" $ COST ADDED TO POINT COST

Last edited by mia; Mar 19, 2023 at 8:06 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Here are a few anecdotal early data points from four properties I enjoy in Brazil that were not on the old portal. Relatively promising.

All four properties appear on the new booking.com based portal, but two of them did not show availability on the Citi-based portal despite being available on booking.com. Perhaps this can be resolved with an agent.

Rates appeared higher on the Citi portal, but not at the ludicrous levels of the past. Here are some examples for four night stays for the two available properties referred to above and another random one:

Property 1: $975 on booking, $1000 on Citi ($731 after 4th night)
Property 2: $912 on booking, $949 on Citi ($712 after 4th night)
Property 3: $778 on booking, $831 on Citi ($623 after 4th night, although they also had a lower rate for an "assigned on arrival" room not on booking)

It's exciting that higher end independent properties that didn't see the light of day in the past are now bookable. If it persists, the outsized value of trusty old Citi Prestige may return to the glory days for me.

Last edited by snorkmaster; Mar 19, 2023 at 10:50 am Reason: added one more property
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:50 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by snorkmaster
Property 1:.
Thank you for the research, but is there a reason not to mention the property names?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:14 am

Phantom availability? Cross check with hotel site.

Hmmm...I do see more listings than before but I'm wondering if Booking.com's inventory is updated quick enough. Yesterday, I booked one of 3 rooms remaining at a Malaysian hotel for Easter weekend from the hotel's official site. I've been tracking availability for several weeks and the place has been almost fully booked for that holiday weekend.
And as of this morning, the hotel's site only have their multiple-room estate villa available for my dates. However, the Citi portal and Booking are both still showing my room is still available (even though it had been last one), as well as the other room that had also been snapped up overnight. Not sure if this is a temporary glitch, but I would recommend cross checking with the hotel's sites to make sure Citi/Booking isn't showing phantom availability.

Another possible (but positive glitch): I used 1 of my two 4th Night Free benefits for 2023 in January. The travel portal now says I still have 2 out of 2 available
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:41 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
Hmmm...I do see more listings than before but I'm wondering if Booking.com's inventory is updated quick enough. Yesterday, I booked one of 3 rooms remaining at a Malaysian hotel for Easter weekend from the hotel's official site. I've been tracking availability for several weeks and the place has been almost fully booked for that holiday weekend.
And as of this morning, the hotel's site only have their multiple-room estate villa available for my dates. However, the Citi portal and Booking are both still showing my room is still available (even though it had been last one), as well as the other room that had also been snapped up overnight
It’s not unusual for OTAs to show availability even after a property is showing no availability through their own channels. I’m not entirely sure how contracts between OTAs and properties work, but it’s possible there is some inventory that is held for OTAs.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:36 pm

It looks like the Citi "4th night free" counter reset for me with the new booking portal. Is everyone seeing "2 out of 2" bookings available to them for today, for the rest of the calendar year?
EmpressRouge likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.