Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 - Product changes...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Smile 2022 - Product changes...

Looking to get (in priority order) the Citi Dividend, AT&T (?) and/or Sears, all older cards. In 2022, what options exist to get these cards (product change, stepped processes, open to opening a card as a switch to another etc) Searching tends to hit outdated info etc.
- IE: open Premier, keep fingers crossed that this time next year can product switch to dividend.

——-
On a related note, keeping inside the Citi family, we only have DoubleCash and AAdvamtage. (AAdvntage essentially useless.) In terms of Citi family the original plan was to get a Premier as the complement to DoubleCash, yet the value of that combo dimished a bit with the Double going to ThankYou points. Premier still the only option to transfer partner? 3% grocery/gas/restaurants of little value.Thoughts? Presuming only one new Citi card opportunity, Premier or Custom?

Downgrading he AAdvantage soon.

Last edited by pixelrogue; Jun 25, 2022 at 6:50 pm
Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Premier (of cards you can apply for) is still the only option to transfer to most partners.

And Premier also has 3x on hotels, not just on restaurant/gas/grocery. A lot fewer ($95 AF or less) cards have 3x on hotels than have 3x on restaurant/gas/grocery.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yes, Premier (of cards you can apply for) is still the only option to transfer to most partners.

And Premier also has 3x on hotels, not just on restaurant/gas/grocery. A lot fewer ($95 AF or less) cards have 3x on hotels than have 3x on restaurant/gas/grocery.
Hotels, airlines, travel agencies to be exact. Custom Cash is the second best card to have from Citi, that's why I converted multiple cards I had with Citi - Double Cash, Preferred, Rewards+, Premier to Custom Cash. I kept Prestige, AT&T AM and Sears. This completes my Citi "quadfecta" right now. I think Dividend doesn't make sense anymore, since the introduction of Custom Cash.
sdsearch and lsquare like this.

Last edited by yugi; Jun 29, 2022 at 6:32 pm
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Citi Double Cash switch to Thank You points - which in theory is then transferable to partners, or blocked because it is a free card?
If you find the prestige the best of the lot, for what specific features?

Is there a multi-step patch to AT&T or Premier?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by pixelrogue
Citi Double Cash switch to Thank You points - which in theory is then transferable to partners, or blocked because it is a free card?

I personally like Prestige because it (now) has a reasonable annual fee compared to Amex Platinum or Chase Sapphire Reserve, and industry leading multipliers: 5X on dining, 5X on flights/OTAs/travel agencies (which also tend to include payments for tours/ground activities etc. at your destination), 3X for direct booking hotels and cruises, and 1X for all the rest. But 5X (on most) OTAs is very significant, since you open the doors to stacking coupons, cashback portals, and promotions for the whole spectrum of travel if you are not averse to using a 3rd party.

On top of that, the Priority Pass includes restaurants and is very flexible, allowing either 2 guests or your entire immediate family (I've tested this with 3 guests that were immediate family - no charge was assessed). In fact, I would wager that the 2 guest limit is only on paper and in reality, you can bring more whether they be family or not.

You can add a free Rewards+ card to the mix for an additional 10% rebate on any point redemption (first 100K redeemed per year), including cashing out points. That effectively uplifts the multipliers to 5.5X/3.3X/1.1X.

Cell phone insurance is very generous, with $1K coverage (compared to $800 elsewhere), extended warranty is still great with 2 more years, and purchase protection is also still offered. Unlike other issuers, all three of the above also apply to purchases/phone service outside the U.S. (yes, even the extended warranty!). The other important factor is that Citi does not require mailing in the item for purchase protection claims (although they may require a repair estimate or police report depending on the circumstances). Compare that with Chase, who seem to always require repatriation of the item to settle a claim.

Finally, you have the 2x/year 4th night free benefit. This is extremely YMMV, and I personally haven't found a great deal of value in it (prices tend to be high, selection limited). But there are gems to be found if the stars align (I personally found a hotel in Cyprus that priced out over $500 less than the next cheapest rate I could find across a huge variety of both U.S. and foreign OTAs, and direct).

In terms of downsides: zero travel insurances. In the past, this didn't concern me much, but nowadays there are way more cancelled flights and delays.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by pixelrogue

All free cards and AT&T AM can only transfer to Jetblue at lower ratio. You need Premier, Prestige or Chairman to transfer to all at 1:1 or 1:2 to Choice.
There is no path AT&T AM anymore, nor to Prestige, AFAIK.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by moe8555
I personally like Prestige because it (now) has a reasonable annual fee compared to Amex Platinum or Chase Sapphire Reserve, and industry leading multipliers: 5X on dining, 5X on flights/OTAs/travel agencies (which also tend to include payments for tours/ground activities etc. at your destination), 3X for direct booking hotels and cruises, and 1X for all the rest. But 5X (on most) OTAs is very significant, since you open the doors to stacking coupons, cashback portals, and promotions for the whole spectrum of travel if you are not averse to using a 3rd party.

On top of that, the Priority Pass includes restaurants and is very flexible, allowing either 2 guests or your entire immediate family (I've tested this with 3 guests that were immediate family - no charge was assessed). In fact, I would wager that the 2 guest limit is only on paper and in reality, you can bring more whether they be family or not.

You can add a free Rewards+ card to the mix for an additional 10% rebate on any point redemption (first 100K redeemed per year), including cashing out points. That effectively uplifts the multipliers to 5.5X/3.3X/1.1X.

Cell phone insurance is very generous, with $1K coverage (compared to $800 elsewhere), extended warranty is still great with 2 more years, and purchase protection is also still offered. Unlike other issuers, all three of the above also apply to purchases/phone service outside the U.S. (yes, even the extended warranty!). The other important factor is that Citi does not require mailing in the item for purchase protection claims (although they may require a repair estimate or police report depending on the circumstances). Compare that with Chase, who seem to always require repatriation of the item to settle a claim.

Finally, you have the 2x/year 4th night free benefit. This is extremely YMMV, and I personally haven't found a great deal of value in it (prices tend to be high, selection limited). But there are gems to be found if the stars align (I personally found a hotel in Cyprus that priced out over $500 less than the next cheapest rate I could find across a huge variety of both U.S. and foreign OTAs, and direct).

In terms of downsides: zero travel insurances. In the past, this didn't concern me much, but nowadays there are way more cancelled flights and delays.
I agree. I kept my Citi Prestige and am still getting good value out of it. It doesn't hurt that I have a decent five-figure credit limit. Plenty for use on airfare and dining.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:12 am

Per several reports in the Sears thread, there is no longer any conversions to the Sears TY version.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:13 pm

You cannot get the Dividend via product change anymore (it's been a few years as far as I know), nor can you get the ThankYou version of the Sears card, only the Shop Your Way points version. Shop Your Way points aren't as useful as TY but can be redeemed for gift cards now at least. The AT&T basic card is still available, I believe, but the one with 3x is unavailable even for product changes.

The Prestige is also no longer available, only Premier. The Premier is still a good card and allows you to transfer your points to partners.

Generally, an issuer discontinues a product because it no longer wants to offer it, at least not for new customers. So trying to get discontinued products via product change, while possible sometimes, is unlikely, and it seems Citi has wised up to it because Prestige was yanked for applications and product changes at the same time.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I PC'd a Double Cash and Rewards+ to Custom Cash last week, have since applied for and receiving another Premier.
Will PC the existing Premier to Custom Cash. I'll still have a Double Cash and Rewards+ I think I'll keep.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 12:05 pm

I PC'd Premier to the Costco Visa.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:01 am

double checking there's still no way to product change into Prestige? (like there is with Chase Ritz ard...?)
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Bixbee
double checking there's still no way to product change into Prestige? (like there is with Chase Ritz ard...?)
All reports say no.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by moe8555
I hadn't seen anyone point this out yet, but the multipliers would only stay at that level up to the 100k redemption limit. They would drop off after that. #mathnazi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.