FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi Prestige discontinued (USA). (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/2045586-citi-prestige-discontinued-usa.html)

Polytonic Jul 25, 2022 11:51 am

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb (Post 34454848)
What are the benefits left for Citi to cut? Probably just the $250 travel and dining credit?

The credit and the 5x on dining are the reasons I keep this card. Combined with the reduced annual fee for Citigold and pretty reliable retention bonuses, it’s effectively free to keep this card.

I've never gotten a retention offer on my card. Thinking about dropping it to be honest. I assume there are a bunch of Chairman cards floating around out there in the same situation. Citi keeps servicing the cards, but otherwise just leaves it as-is.

The Prestige is functionally a slightly better Premier at this point.

ithinkurdumb Jul 25, 2022 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 34456165)
Don't forget the Priority Pass that allows all immediate family and not just two guests. And 5X on OTAs and many tour operators, in addition to flights.

I actually did forget about the 5x on OTA and tours. Although I’m reluctant to put travel (air at least) on Prestige as it does not have any insurance.

As for Priority Pass, the two guests or all immediate family is the same as Venture X (which is more or less a no-fee card) and CSR. The Ventute X also has Premium Plaza lounges and free AU.

Does Citi still provide a product information page for Prestige? Couldn’t find anything on there website.

dw Jul 25, 2022 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb (Post 34457745)
Does Citi still provide a product information page for Prestige? Couldn’t find anything on there website.

https://citi.com/citiprestige

ithinkurdumb Jul 25, 2022 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 34457786)

Thanks! Not seeing the part of 5x on OTA and tours though.

EasternTraveler Jul 25, 2022 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb (Post 34457909)

?OTA

mia Jul 25, 2022 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler (Post 34457984)
?OTA

Online Travel Agency (e.g. Expedia, Booking Holdings)

EasternTraveler Jul 25, 2022 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 34458061)

Oh! I never use those for anything other than price checking. Thanks.

ithinkurdumb Jul 25, 2022 8:03 pm

Found that in the terms at https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/...021.ashx?la=en

With the Citi Prestige Card, you can earn ThankYou Points for purchases made on your card. Unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
- 5 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on purchases at airlines and travel agencies.
- 5 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on purchases at restaurants (including cafes, bars, lounges and fast food restaurants).
- 3 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on purchases at hotels.
- 3 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on purchases at cruise lines.
- 1 ThankYou Point for each $1 spent on other purchases.

Restaurants — You won’t earn 5 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on purchases at restaurants for purchases made at bakeries, caterers, restaurants/cafes inside other establishments (such as hotels, department stores, grocery stores, discount and convenience stores or warehouse clubs), or purchases made through online dining delivery services.

lsquare Jul 25, 2022 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler (Post 34457984)
?OTA

Originally Posted by mia (Post 34458061)

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb (Post 34458138)

I can confirm the Prestige gets 5x from OTAs.

moe8555 Jul 25, 2022 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler (Post 34458077)
Oh! I never use those for anything other than price checking. Thanks.

Well, in my experience, the 5X has also registered for many companies affiliated with the travel industry in general (i.e. if you booked a half-day city tour, etc.) and not just flight/hotel focused businesses.

Also, there are quite a few interesting smaller players in the OTA scene, as well as foreign OTAs with highly preferential pricing that can save you a fortune vs. a direct booking or using the major players (Expedia/Priceline/Hotels.com/Booking/Orbitz/etc.).

One great example is booking hotels in Cyprus via TUI DE (Germany) - some of the price differences are profound and can even include upgrades to half board/all inclusive for a lower price than you'd find on any "big box" OTA or direct.

ithinkurdumb Jul 30, 2022 7:15 am

$50 back on $350 flights

I remember someone upthread mentioned that they use Prestige to book flights. I personally don’t due to the lack of travel protections, but for those who do (or for incidentals), check your inbox for an offer for $50 off $350 spending on airlines (ends of 8/29).

355F1 Aug 10, 2022 10:40 am

This card is still basically free for me as I am using the 4NF at least once per year at hotels costing $700+/night. (Long gone are the savings of $1500-2500/yr with the old unlimited 4NF benefit)

But I only put restaurant spend on it for 5x. I could get an AMEX 4x dining but it would cost me more money in AF's.

All airfare goes on my AMEX Business Platinum. Hotels go on my Chase 3x Ink card.

Still no updates on what they are doing with this....or any new replacements?

lsquare Aug 10, 2022 10:44 am

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 34503187)
This card is still basically free for me as I am using the 4NF at least once per year at hotels costing $700+/night. (Long gone are the savings of $1500-2500/yr with the old unlimited 4NF benefit)

But I only put restaurant spend on it for 5x. I could get an AMEX 4x dining but it would cost me more money in AF's.

All airfare goes on my AMEX Business Platinum. Hotels go on my Chase 3x Ink card.

Still no updates on what they are doing with this....or any new replacements?

I think Prestige also gets 3x on hotels. I put all Hilton spend on my Aspire.

355F1 Aug 10, 2022 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34503201)
I think Prestige also gets 3x on hotels.

It does. But I get more value out of Chase redemptions at 1.25 cents with my Ink Card. :)

moe8555 Aug 10, 2022 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 34503574)
It does. But I get more value out of Chase redemptions at 1.25 cents with my Ink Card. :)

Why not just go with the Altitude Reserve if you are simply redeeming points for cash-equivalent bookings and not transferring?