FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi Prestige discontinued (USA). (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/2045586-citi-prestige-discontinued-usa.html)

ithinkurdumb May 14, 2023 8:27 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 35248680)
Does “other travel” get 5x?

So some Klook purchases codes as business service and some as travel?

I was able to pull up my previous statements and I think I mixed up the merchant category names ("other travel" might be the temporary name when the charges were pending). JR Pass purchases from Klook were coded as "Travel Agency And Tour Operators" (5x) in October 2022 but "Other Services-not Elsewhere Classified" (1x) in December 2022. I remember seeing similar situations before Covid.

Given most things sold by Klook and similar OTAs are available from travel agencies with a physical presence, I've been using them for the past few months and all have been coded correctly.

Originally Posted by dw (Post 35248852)
As a refresher, it’s only airfare that gets 5x. Since airline charges code pretty distinctly, doubt other travel categories would inadvertently get counted for 5x. (And hotels and cruises get 3x.)

From benefit guide:

CITI® THANKYOU® REWARDS With the Citi Prestige® Card, you can earn ThankYou Points for purchases made on your card. Unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
  • 5 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on purchases at airlines and travel agencies.
  • 5 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on purchases at restaurants (including cafes, bars, lounges and fast food restaurants).
  • 3 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on purchases at hotels.
  • 3 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on purchases at cruise lines.
  • 1 ThankYou Point for each $1 spent on other purchases.

lsquare May 31, 2023 7:16 pm

Is it too late to request a supplementary card? I'm thinking about it as it's $75/year? Can someone confirm the fee?

Right now I mainly use my Prestige linked to Apple Pay. When I buy airfare, I don't need a physical card as I buy online and use my credit card number. I gave my gf my card and she just taps it at restaurants. This setup is free. I don't know what I'm really getting by paying an additional fee besides getting her own card with her name on it.

moe8555 Jun 1, 2023 12:05 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 35294010)
Is it too late to request a supplementary card? I'm thinking about it as it's $75/year? Can someone confirm the fee?

Right now I mainly use my Prestige linked to Apple Pay. When I buy airfare, I don't need a physical card as I buy online and use my credit card number. I gave my gf my card and she just taps it at restaurants. This setup is free. I don't know what I'm really getting by paying an additional fee besides getting her own card with her name on it.

You'd also be getting an additional Priority Pass card, which as a reminder, is valid at non-lounge locations and allows 2 guests or unlimited immediate family members. De facto, I have not been charged for more than 2 guests that were not family, so it's certainly a better version of Priority Pass than that of most competing premium cards.

lsquare Jun 1, 2023 1:01 am

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 35294433)
You'd also be getting an additional Priority Pass card, which as a reminder, is valid at non-lounge locations and allows 2 guests or unlimited immediate family members. De facto, I have not been charged for more than 2 guests that were not family, so it's certainly a better version of Priority Pass than that of most competing premium cards.

Oh...totally forgot about that! Isn't Citi's PP the same as my CSR's PP? I have both the Prestige and CSR. My AMEX Platinum's PP is utterly useless since it's not valid at restaurants.

ithinkurdumb Jun 1, 2023 1:23 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 35294497)
Oh...totally forgot about that! Isn't Citi's PP the same as my CSR's PP? I have both the Prestige and CSR. My AMEX Platinum's PP is utterly useless since it's not valid at restaurants.

I recall CSR's PP used to have unlimited guests, but Chase has changed it to two guests (family or not) while Prestige still allows 2 guests + immediate family.

I think the usefulness really depends on the airports. If I must choose, I'd prefer Amex/Cap1's expanded access of lounges over Chase/Citi's restaurant access.

lsquare Jun 1, 2023 1:28 am

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 35294433)

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb (Post 35294533)
I recall CSR's PP used to have unlimited guests, but Chase has changed it to two guests (family or not) while Prestige still allows 2 guests + immediate family.

I think the usefulness really depends on the airports. If I must choose, I'd prefer Amex/Cap1's expanded access of lounges over Chase/Citi's restaurant access.

After thinking about what you guys have said, I think I'm just going to stick with my current arrangement. Tapping with the Prestige has never been a problem at restaurants and that's what I'm using this card mostly for after airfare.

Lounge and restaurant access is taken care of since I have Prestige, CSR, and AMEX Plat.

EasternTraveler Jun 1, 2023 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 35294544)
After thinking about what you guys have said, I think I'm just going to stick with my current arrangement. Tapping with the Prestige has never been a problem at restaurants and that's what I'm using this card mostly for after airfare.

Lounge and restaurant access is taken care of since I have Prestige, CSR, and AMEX Plat.

I think that is a wise strategy. If I did not have a gold amex, that is what I would do too.

ithinkurdumb Jun 1, 2023 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 35294544)

I’m still confused why Citi would axe travel protection on a card that earns 5x on air travel and OTA. Nowadays for airfare I use Venture X (if the flights are available on their travel site) or Ink Preferred (only 3x).

I keep Prestige and Venture X. With the travel credit, consistent retention offers, and Citigold credit, keeping both cards are basically no cost.

js1993 Jun 1, 2023 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb (Post 35297095)
I’m still confused why Citi would axe travel protection on a card that earns 5x on air travel and OTA. ...

Same reason no other issuer offers 5x plus travel insurance.

lsquare Jun 1, 2023 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by js1993 (Post 35297102)
Same reason no other issuer offers 5x plus travel insurance.

AMEX Plat offers 5x and insurance, IIRC.

js1993 Jun 1, 2023 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 35297106)
AMEX Plat offers 5x and insurance, IIRC.

Ah, right. Forgot Amex brought it back right as Covid was starting after previously dropping it. Only applies to round trips, though, and the delay coverage doesn't kick in until 6 hours.

moe8555 Jun 2, 2023 11:22 am

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb (Post 35294533)
. If I must choose, I'd prefer Amex/Cap1's expanded access of lounges over Chase/Citi's restaurant access.

Indeed they have expanded lounge access, but this is obviously a very personal calculation depending on travel patterns. As a family of 5 that rarely passes through airports with Centurion lounges, SkyClubs, and Plaza Premiums, the Citi Priority Pass that covers non-lounge and immediate family works better for me.

docbert Jun 13, 2023 7:02 pm

Got a new Prestige card today as my old one way starting to peel.

They've done away with the distinctive design, and it's now just basically the same as the Premier card only with Prestige where it would show Premier. It also no longer has the cardholders name on the back, only on the front (number and expiry are still on the back).

Old on the top, new on the bottom.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...aa0a014f88.jpg

berombeu Jun 13, 2023 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 35330212)

They've done away with the distinctive design, and it's now just basically the same as the Premier card only with Prestige where it would show Premier. It also no longer has the cardholders name on the back, only on the front (number and expiry are still on the back).

Guessing, it will cost them too much to have a logo.

lsquare Jun 13, 2023 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 35330212)

Originally Posted by berombeu (Post 35330226)
Guessing, it will cost them too much to have a logo.

I have the new design and I much prefer the old design.