Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel/reschedule flight booked with TYP if my account is closed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA

Have Citi Premier with > 100K points. Planning to book a flight for later this year, hoping Corona virus situation will settle down by then. But if I have to cancel or reschedule, do the points redeemed go back to my TYP account? What if the account is closed? AF coming up, considering closing account. I have the ATT card, which also earns TYP, but only 1.0x redemption value, versus the Premier, which can be redeemed for 1.25x on travel so I'd hate to lose that bonus.
Or once the flight is booked, do I have to deal with the airline directly and pay re-booking/cancellations fees?
As of today 3/9/2020 it appears UA DL and AA are waiving fees for flights booked Mar 1 - 31, but does that include this type of award flight booking? I see United is waiving fees for "all" bookings (I assuming they are including award flights, but AA and DL waiver statements don't mention award flights). Plus this is really a third party award booking, so.......may be more complicated.
Tried calling TYP travel portal and they are non committal
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tiburontucson
Have Citi Premier with > 100K points. Planning to book a flight for later this year, hoping Corona virus situation will settle down by then. But if I have to cancel or reschedule, do the points redeemed go back to my TYP account? What if the account is closed? AF coming up, considering closing account. I have the ATT card, which also earns TYP, but only 1.0x redemption value, versus the Premier, which can be redeemed for 1.25x on travel so I'd hate to lose that bonus.
Or once the flight is booked, do I have to deal with the airline directly and pay re-booking/cancellations fees?
As of today 3/9/2020 it appears UA DL and AA are waiving fees for flights booked Mar 1 - 31, but does that include this type of award flight booking? I see United is waiving fees for "all" bookings (I assuming they are including award flights, but AA and DL waiver statements don't mention award flights). Plus this is really a third party award booking, so.......may be more complicated.
Tried calling TYP travel portal and they are non committal
Im sure Citi TY is like Chase and although you arent paying any $$ the Bank is and uses their CC to pay for the tkt = to the Carrier its a rev tkt and not an award tkt. If you want to make any changes the Carrier will see its an Agents tkt and tell you to call and deal with them

Now make sure your ATT CC has your TY # on it and I believe if Citi refunds the miles it will go back into that same TY acct, only potential loss is it will be a .01 instead of .0125, but better then nothing at all
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:16 am

I wouldn't count on getting TY points back after you close the account, but you will definitely be able to get airline credit for future use if you cancel your reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.