Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Say goodbye to Virtual Account Numbers at Citi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott

Citibank is officially phasing out the Virtual Account Numbers. New card numbers will not have the ability to enroll and all will lose the feature in the near future.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Citibank is officially phasing out the Virtual Account Numbers. New card numbers will not have the ability to enroll and all will lose the feature in the near future.
It was just a few weeks back that Citi mailed me material that was advertising the virtual account number benefit for a Citicard of mine.

I hope this still works into May for me.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:30 pm

dang it. i LOVE my virtual #s . it's all i use on my phone so i don't accidentally buy stuff in games...and great ofor sirius XM subscriptions to just shut down automatially.
no way am i giving google a credit card with unlimited spending capacity. jeez

who else offers virtual cards? Chase?
wonder why they're phasing it out
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:34 pm

i googled, found no info.
you have a source we can read more somewhere?
wonder why citi's doing it.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:13 am

That's a shame. I loved them for one-off transactions due to the ability to limit the amount, and no 2nd vendor could use the #.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
wonder why citi's doing it.
In some instances consumers try to use these instead of cancelling subscriptions, without understanding that the transaction networks treat "recurring" charges differently. I speculate that this generated a high rate of disputes that Citi had to investigate with no incremental revenue.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
dang it. i LOVE my virtual #s . it's all i use on my phone so i don't accidentally buy stuff in games...and great ofor sirius XM subscriptions to just shut down automatially.
no way am i giving google a credit card with unlimited spending capacity. jeez

who else offers virtual cards? Chase?
wonder why they're phasing it out
Capital One @ https://www.capitalone.com/applicati...bers/getitnow/
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:51 pm

urgh, always getting rid of useful features

i try starting up the virtual account number program today (downloadable version). it should still work in generating numbers for cc that is already on file, right? it just cannot create numbers for newly-obtained cc?

or has the whole program stop working completely?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:35 am

Apple card also offers virtual card numbers... although earning is meh.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by mia
In some instances consumers try to use these instead of cancelling subscriptions, without understanding that the transaction networks treat "recurring" charges differently.
If you drill down in the virtual account number menu, the total dollar amount can be restricted. I've used this for subscriptions and recurring charges were always rejected. Hopefully VANs will continue on existing accounts.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
There is an app called Token which will allow you to create virtual account numbers for any card. I tried it on a card that I recently cancelled and can verify it works. I have no idea how safe it is. You will not earn category bonuses if you go through this app.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jags86
There is an app called Token which will allow you to create virtual account numbers for any card. I tried it on a card that I recently cancelled and can verify it works. I have no idea how safe it is. You will not earn category bonuses if you go through this app.
That defeats the purpose.
Security and control while earning airline miles.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:42 pm

That defeats the purpose.
Security and control while earning airline miles.
Use a card like Blue Business Plus or Double Cash to earn 2x miles. Go through a shopping portal to increase your earnings.

i only use virtual account numbers to prevent recurring charges from going through.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jags86
Use a card like Blue Business Plus or Double Cash to earn 2x miles. Go through a shopping portal to increase your earnings.

i only use virtual account numbers to prevent recurring charges from going through.
Shopping online with virtual numbers means you don't have to worry about your card number getting out to a thief and then having to have the card replaced. Your options do not solve that issue.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:10 am

Shopping online with virtual numbers means you don't have to worry about your card number getting out to a thief and then having to have the card replaced. Your options do not solve that issue.
Good don’t use my options. I’m not worried about a card number being stolen I’m worried about services that make it hard to cancel.
Nanook and LovePrunes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.