Search

Reasons to keep Citi Premier?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by conde
The Hyatt CC is an alternate strategy for future accumulation of Hyatt points, as opposed to the Chase Sapphire. My point was that if one already believes that the best redemption option for UR is to transfer to Hyatt, it serves many people better to just get the Hyatt card, and use other cards for airlines. This is where Citi Premier comes in.

I disagree that it is worth keeping Chase Sapphire and dumping the Citi Premier, rather than adding the Chase Hyatt for Hyatt, and keeping Citi Premier for airlines. I believe that it is best to get hotel co-brand cards for hotel points, and get transferable currency cards for airlines.

If there's no desire to use UR or ThankYou points for airlines, it might be best to dump both Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire. There are other travel portal redemption options, however I am not giving that much weight.
Not quite right. Chase UR is the only reward system that can transfer to Hyatt. And Hyatt point is worth more than 2 cpp. It is the value of the UR that matter. Airline miles are worth only about 1.6 cpp. I have Chase Hyatt CC and earn points with it. But using UR has far better return than Citi Premier and any other CCs I can think of. I'd rather earn 2 cpps than transferring to airlines to earn 1.6 cpps.

For transfers to airlines, there is not much differences between Chase CSP vs. Citi Premier. But Chase has the 5% Freedom and 1.5% Freedom Unlimited. And I have the premium CS Reserve. The entire UR system is far stronger than Citi TY reward system. I can't earn 5% TY with any of the Citi CCs. Some people want to dump CSR in favor of CSP. But I do not think the extra $68 annual fees make much sense.

I do not just keep a single CC for the sake of that card. It is the entire CC reward system that matters. You calculate the total returns, not just a single card.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by RedSun
The entire UR system is far stronger than Citi TY reward system. I can't earn 5% TY with any of the Citi CCs.

I do not just keep a single CC for the sake of that card. It is the entire CC reward system that matters. You calculate the total returns, not just a single card.
This isn't fully accurate anymore with the new Prestige, which earns 5X on dining, flights, and OTAs/travel agencies. Also, Citi has other cards that can pull weight, like the AT&T card that gets 2-3X on most online purchases (depending on the card version) and the new Rewards+ that rounds up. Plus you have the Sears card that seems to get constant bonuses if you're lucky.

But yes, the Chase system is stabler all in all.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moe8555
This isn't fully accurate anymore with the new Prestige, which earns 5X on dining, flights, and OTAs/travel agencies. Also, Citi has other cards that can pull weight, like the AT&T card that gets 2-3X on most online purchases (depending on the card version) and the new Rewards+ that rounds up. Plus you have the Sears card that seems to get constant bonuses if you're lucky.

But yes, the Chase system is stabler all in all.
Of course our opinions differ and I do realize that this is Citi TY forum, not Chase UR forum.

I agree that Citi TY system gets better with the new Prestige. But I still would not say that City TY system is better than Chase UR. I have both AmEx Gold and Platinum. So I do not pick up much with airline, dining and grocery. The daily spendings are pretty much all covered with bonus spendings. And I do not have the AT&T card. Chase CSR gives me 1.5 cpps with Chase travel portal, but Citi travel portal only gives me 1.25 cpps. The last, I almost never pay out of pocket for hotel stays. So I can't pick up any profit from Prestige free 4th nights.

If one day Hyatt points get de-valued and I can get on CitiGold, I'll certainly get on the Citi TY bandwagon. Right now, I'm on the fence.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by roundtree
This is an ongoing issue with virtually all rewards cards. .
The same challenges might exist as it depends how the category is classified by the merchant.
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Entertainment is very unreliable, but not really Citi's fault.
I see that I did not express my observation effectively. All category bonuses are unreliable at the margin. Blue Business Plus awards two Membership Rewards points per dollar on all domestic spending, which eliminates the misclassification risk. Therefore, I ignore "2X" category bonuses. If the card offers 3, 4 or 5 points per dollar I can weigh risk of misclassification versus potential, but there is no reason to even think about a 2X bonus on domestic spend. 2 points per dollar is not a bonus, it's now the baseline for normal domestic spending.

Last edited by mia; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:19 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Not quite right. Chase UR is the only reward system that can transfer to Hyatt. And Hyatt point is worth more than 2 cpp. It is the value of the UR that matter. Airline miles are worth only about 1.6 cpp. I have Chase Hyatt CC and earn points with it. But using UR has far better return than Citi Premier and any other CCs I can think of. I'd rather earn 2 cpps than transferring to airlines to earn 1.6 cpps.

For transfers to airlines, there is not much differences between Chase CSP vs. Citi Premier. But Chase has the 5% Freedom and 1.5% Freedom Unlimited. And I have the premium CS Reserve. The entire UR system is far stronger than Citi TY reward system. I can't earn 5% TY with any of the Citi CCs. Some people want to dump CSR in favor of CSP. But I do not think the extra $68 annual fees make much sense.

Fair enough to keep the Chase Sapphire for UR if you value the range of transfer partners that include Hyatt and others. I disagree with the valuation of Hyatt points as $.02, or a higher valuation for Chase UR than Citi ThankYou. I have a Hyatt points balance and continue to accumulate Hyatt points. Although I have had redemptions that exceeded $.02 in value, on average, I couldn't justify Hyatt being worth more than $.016 currently. Even if drinking blogger KoolAid (yes you, PointsGuy), I am not aware of one which rates Hyatt points at $.02 or higher.

As for the point valuation of Chase UR and Citi ThankYou, I would rate them the same. Chase: Can earn more UR points from Freedom. Citi: Earn more points from transfer bonuses and expanded reward categories. If the verdict results in a preference for Chase transfer partners, with no desired distinct transfer partners from Citi, it would be best to cancel the Citi Premier card.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Fair enough to keep the Chase Sapphire for UR if you value the range of transfer partners that include Hyatt and others. I disagree with the valuation of Hyatt points as $.02, or a higher valuation for Chase UR than Citi ThankYou. I have a Hyatt points balance and continue to accumulate Hyatt points. Although I have had redemptions that exceeded $.02 in value, on average, I couldn't justify Hyatt being worth more than $.016 currently. Even if drinking blogger KoolAid (yes you, PointsGuy), I am not aware of one which rates Hyatt points at $.02 or higher.
Certainly. If someone redeems 10,000 Hyatt points for a stay that costing $90, it is a different story than someone redeeming 15,000 for a $500 resort stay. It all depends on how you manage and how you extract value from. It certainly depends on the lifestyle etc...

Here I do not want to continue to discuss point valuation on Hyatt point. I just try to get value from this Citi Premier card. If not, I can think about upgrading to Prestige, or downgrade it...
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mia
...but there is no reason to even think about a 2X bonus on domestic spend. 2 points per dollar is not a bonus, it's now the baseline for normal domestic spending.
At least up to $50000/year, amirite?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by roundtree
At least up to $50000/year, amirite?
Yes, but I am married, which makes $100,000 for the household.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
One needs to have an additional card to earn TYPs to go along with the Premier. For me that's been the Sears MC.
The past two years 2017 & 2018 I've earned over 240K TYPs mainly with the Sears MC. So the same way the different Amex MR cards help the total MR, and Freedoms and Inks help Chase URs, this Sears MC is as good as Freedoms and Inks combined into one card.
Good for transfers, or as I did this month for flights through the TY portal at 1.25%, Hong Kong Airlines and Thai Air in Hong Kong to and from and around Thailand.

POINTS EARNED FROM CREDIT CARDS

Total: +240,893
  • Citi PremierSM Card(***)
    +19,601
  • Sears MasterCard(****)
    +221,292
mia and RedSun like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by happychic
There is no reduced AF credit with Citi Premier based on your banking relationship with Citi. For Citi Prestige, yes, if you have Citi Gold.

I use this card for several things: gas (3x), entertainment (2x) are among some of them. I also use this quite a bit when I travel abroad. Mastercard gives me better forex rate, on average about 1% better than Visa (slightly less for Amex).

They also usually have very attractive retention policy which more than negates the AF fee for me. Personally, as long as I get a retention offer, I intend on holding on to this card.
I have an older Premier card, looks like from 2017 or so based on the statements I can look at. I don't get an annual fee on that card. It is free. I have another Premier card I picked up in 2018. For that card I do receive an annual fee. I have a Citi Priority account.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mhdena
One needs to have an additional card to earn TYPs to go along with the Premier. For me that's been the Sears MC.
The past two years 2017 & 2018 I've earned over 240K TYPs mainly with the Sears MC. So the same way the different Amex MR cards help the total MR, and Freedoms and Inks help Chase URs, this Sears MC is as good as Freedoms and Inks combined into one card.
Good for transfers, or as I did this month for flights through the TY portal at 1.25%, Hong Kong Airlines and Thai Air in Hong Kong to and from and around Thailand.

POINTS EARNED FROM CREDIT CARDS

Total: +240,893
  • Citi PremierSM Card(***)
    +19,601
  • Sears MasterCard(****)
    +221,292
Including October 2019,
  • Citi PremierSM Card(****)

+39,049

• Citi� Double Cash Card(****)

• Citi� Double Cash Card(****)

• Sears MasterCard(****)

+426,808
  • Every quarter is a 10x to 20x TYP offer, just finished a 15x offer and now working on a 20x offer to closeout the year, so another 90K TYPs will add to the total earned.
  • Citi Premier is a keeper for me for sure.
At this rate I won't have to bother with the DC cards much if at all.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
What on earth could the business model be for the Sears card? Surely it won't go on indefinitely?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.

Hyatt's are worth a minimum of 2 cpp... Properties with a higher points value are not difficult to find. There is no "blogger KoolAid" involved.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by moe8555
What on earth could the business model be for the Sears card? Surely it won't go on indefinitely?
Data mined from SYW/the card's purchase history could be worth a fair bit in the event that Sears files Chapter 7. It depends on the kind of agreement that Sears and Citi came to, however.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by happychic
There is no reduced AF credit with Citi Premier based on your banking relationship with Citi. For Citi Prestige, yes, if you have Citi Gold.

I use this card for several things: gas (3x), entertainment (2x) are among some of them. I also use this quite a bit when I travel abroad. Mastercard gives me better forex rate, on average about 1% better than Visa (slightly less for Amex).

They also usually have very attractive retention policy which more than negates the AF fee for me. Personally, as long as I get a retention offer, I intend on holding on to this card.
Are you saying that AMEX offers the best forex rate?

Originally Posted by mia
I find the Entertainment category unreliable. For example, a ballet company might categorize as a charity rather than performing arts. For domestic performances I use American Express Blue Business Plus, which awards two points per dollar for ALL spending, and I do not need to think about how the transaction may be categorized. I do still use Citi for international ticket purchases.
Why not use the Citi DC?

At $95 AF, I can think about Chase CSP, BofA Premium Rewards, AmEx EDP etc. But it is just hard to compete with "Earn 3 TYP per $1 spent on travel and gas, 2 TYP per $1 spent on dining and entertainment, 1 TYP per $1 spent on other purchases. "

There will certainly more value if you bank with Citi, earn TY from banking etc. The transfer partners are ok, but nothing beats the Chase UR to Hyatt transfer.
But that's only if you stay at Hyatts. Different story if you're a Hilton or Marriott guy.

The Hyatt CC is an alternate strategy for future accumulation of Hyatt points, as opposed to the Chase Sapphire. My point was that if one already believes that the best redemption option for UR is to transfer to Hyatt, it serves many people better to just get the Hyatt card, and use other cards for airlines. This is where Citi Premier comes in.

I disagree that it is worth keeping Chase Sapphire and dumping the Citi Premier, rather than adding the Chase Hyatt for Hyatt, and keeping Citi Premier for airlines. I believe that it is best to get hotel co-brand cards for hotel points, and get transferable currency cards for airlines.

If there's no desire to use UR or ThankYou points for airlines, it might be best to dump both Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire. There are other travel portal redemption options, however I am not giving that much weight.
I'm still somewhat confused on the matter. How is Chase Hyatt card better for earning points at Hyatt stays than using a Chase Sapphire Reserve?

Last edited by mia; Nov 9, 2019 at 6:52 pm Reason: Consolidate consecutive replies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.