FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi retention offers (2018 - 2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1892266-citi-retention-offers-2018-2021-a.html)

Biggie Fries Aug 20, 2019 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by moops380 (Post 31434069)
So what I meant was that citi prestige will no longer be good for outright purchasing airline tickets... sale fares, routes that have one airline, times where the points price is too high, ryanair, etc..

I'm just saying that stinks but its still great for restaurants if you spend even 10k a year on restaurants then use the TYP for great transfer partners, and pay 45k TYP (via transfer) and $5.60 on a chase card for a flight from maui-sfo-amsterdam in business class.

Cards still a keeper for me just on the 5x restaurants alone. Noone that I know of provides trip insurance for restaurant visits... but maybe someday that will be a thing if you get food poisoning? Hah!

And that new citi card combines to make 5.5x points on restaurants to a limit. Even better.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the same Citi IT that has allowed me to renew year after year as a Citigold account holder (which I once was) does not catch up to the new $495 AF. If it does, I'm going to wince before renewing. I agree that the restaurant haul is excellent, especially with the 10% return. I may have to re-think my primary use for these points, however, for the reason that you noted earlier: Their redemption for airline flights becomes somewhat more costly, at least mentally, in the absence of delay/cancellation insurance (one of your other good points).

vm81 Aug 21, 2019 9:37 am

Citi Prestige fees hit couple of weeks ago and have called twice but no offers whatsoever. I tell them to cancel and they proceed to cancel without transferring to retention - so have to back out. Will give it a shot one more time before 37 days are up but will probably keep it anyways because of $350 fee.

notquiteaff Aug 21, 2019 10:21 am

Citi Premier. First renewal AF posted a couple of weeks ago. Put about $5500 on it (incl. $3000 initial spend for signup bonus). Agent made no effort to retain me. Asked for cancellation reason and I cited the elimination of travel insurance benefits. Account closed, final balance paid.

poisson Aug 21, 2019 2:13 pm

Citi Premier. First renewal AF posted a week ago. I put around $6000 on the card last year. No retention offer other than downgrading to Thank You card.

sdsearch Aug 21, 2019 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by poisson (Post 31441182)
Citi Premier. First renewal AF posted a week ago. I put around $6000 on the card last year. No retention offer other than downgrading to Thank You card.

There is no card called Thank You card. Thank You is a family of cards, rather a specific card. In fact, the card you called about has been called the Thank You Premier card. So which one were you offered a downgrade to? There are at least two if not more no-AF cards that earn Thank You points (Rewards+ replacing Preferred, and AT&T Access) that you can product convert to.

countingmiles Aug 23, 2019 1:01 pm

Thank You Premier.

3rd year AF posted and paid. $95 credit and 1,000 thank you points after $1,000 in spending in each of the next three months. Accepted.

poisson Aug 23, 2019 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 31442512)
There is no card called Thank You card. Thank You is a family of cards, rather a specific card. In fact, the card you called about has been called the Thank You Premier card. So which one were you offered a downgrade to? There are at least two if not more no-AF cards that earn Thank You points (Rewards+ replacing Preferred, and AT&T Access) that you can product convert to.

That's what the agent called it, lol

I'm guessing he was referring to the Rewards+ card. I'm going to call again and hopefully the next agent will have a better retention offer, although in my experience over the past year, Citi has had almost no retention offers. They are even letting you close accounts over the phone without speaking to anyone.

frudd38 Aug 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Received this offer last month for TY Premier: $95 credit and 1,000 thank you points after $1,000 in spending in each of the next three months

My understanding was receiving an extra 1,000 points per month for the 3 months of $1,000/mo spend. First statement closed with the $1,000 spend met, but no bonus points. Can anyone confirm if it's only at the end of month 3 or 1,000 in total? TIA

sdsearch Aug 26, 2019 9:53 am

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 31456174)
Received this offer last month for TY Premier: $95 credit and 1,000 thank you points after $1,000 in spending in each of the next three months

My understanding was receiving an extra 1,000 points per month for the 3 months of $1,000/mo spend. First statement closed with the $1,000 spend met, but no bonus points. Can anyone confirm if it's only at the end of month 3 or 1,000 in total? TIA

I read it as meaning 1000 point once.

When you hear a verbal offer, always assume commas or grouping parentheses (or lack thereof) are in the worst place possible, not the best place possible. Look at how your offer look if add a comma:

"Received this offer last month for TY Premier: $95 credit and 1,000 thank you points, after $1,000 in spending in each of the next three months"

But if the $95 credit is not dependent on the spend, that might be two commas:

"Received this offer last month for TY Premier: $95 credit, and 1,000 thank you points, after $1,000 in spending in each of the next three months"

Ie, there are at least three different interpretations of this offer, depending on where the commas go!

Punctuation matters a lot, but you can't hear it in a verbal offer. So you should think about an offer in your head as to whether it sounds as good as you first thought, and then ask questions before you accept or reject it if there's any possible multiple interpretations, as there certainly are in this case.

If you'd been following this thread for a long time, you would have seen that lots of people turned down this offer because they didn't want to do $3000 of spend over 3000 months just to get 1000 points. You are for from the first person in this thread to get this kind of offer.

poisson Aug 26, 2019 11:23 am

I called again and was told that no offers are available. I will be cancelling the card this week.

mintcilantro Aug 26, 2019 12:04 pm

same experience on Premier. Tried twice. Citi is no longer as generous with retentions as before. I spent around $10k mostly in travel category on the card last year.

I'm keeping the card as I am still earning a good amount of points with other TYP cards and need a way to transfer them to partners.

frudd38 Aug 26, 2019 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 31458189)
I read it as meaning 1000 point once.

When you hear a verbal offer, always assume commas or grouping parentheses (or lack thereof) are in the worst place possible, not the best place possible. Look at how your offer look if add a comma:

"Received this offer last month for TY Premier: $95 credit and 1,000 thank you points, after $1,000 in spending in each of the next three months"

But if the $95 credit is not dependent on the spend, that might be two commas:

"Received this offer last month for TY Premier: $95 credit, and 1,000 thank you points, after $1,000 in spending in each of the next three months"

Ie, there are at least three different interpretations of this offer, depending on where the commas go!

Punctuation matters a lot, but you can't hear it in a verbal offer. So you should think about an offer in your head as to whether it sounds as good as you first thought, and then ask questions before you accept or reject it if there's any possible multiple interpretations, as there certainly are in this case.

If you'd been following this thread for a long time, you would have seen that lots of people turned down this offer because they didn't want to do $3000 of spend over 3000 months just to get 1000 points. You are for from the first person in this thread to get this kind of offer.

Thanks for the input, I will definitely be listening closer next time. I follow this thread an am pretty versed in retention offers (I copied the offer verbiage from the Wiki when posting here). I went into the call knowing what was possible and knew that was the one being offered. Since it's a common offer, just wanted to know real DP's if possible, although I'm fine with just 1k points total as the $95 credit does it for me (still have the $1k/1k points/mo) offer active from last year so double dipping at the moment.

I did not receive the $95 after first statement close, so I'm sure it's spend dependent. I'll update in a couple months if no one else has a DP.

krazykanuck Aug 26, 2019 2:47 pm

Any magic words you have to say to get to a Citi retention person? I just called on my Premier card and the only offer she said was on the account was a promotional APR offer.

frudd38 Aug 26, 2019 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 31459355)
Any magic words you have to say to get to a Citi retention person? I just called on my Premier card and the only offer she said was on the account was a promotional APR offer.

Anything with "close" is the word they need to hear, ymmv.

I usually phrase it "Before considering closing my account, could you check for any offers attached to the card?" If the computer allows them to transfer, they will do it.

geoff325 Aug 26, 2019 11:02 pm

For those of you cancelling the premier, do you have other TYP cards so you don't lose the points?