Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Refund of annual fee after downgrading Prestige

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:42 am
Original Poster

I downgraded my Prestige to a regular Citi card after the $450 annual fee posted. Citi is now saying the card takes 51 days to convert and they will post the annual fee refund adjustment when it is done. My question is will it actually charge me for the 51 days that I have no access to?

Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mattack4000
I downgraded my Prestige to a regular Citi card after the $450 annual fee posted. Citi is now saying the card takes 51 days to convert and they will post the annual fee refund adjustment when it is done. My question is will it actually charge me for the 51 days that I have no access to?
Probably. Citi product changes take forever and your account is under the old terms and conditions until the "effective" date which is the one in 51 days, not the date you call. If the ~$55 or whatever it is is a big deal to you I'd recommend cancelling the card and getting the full $450 back.

I don't know what you mean by don't have access to it. You have full access to the card and benefits until the account actually changes over.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
any recent DP's on prorated refund of the Prestige?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
TL;DR Citi product changes take longer than one would expect.

I did a product change from an ancient AA Gold to a ATT Access card this fall and that took like 3 weeks.

Also back in 2015 we converted the upper level Hhonors card to a Double Cash and it took Citi 6 mos to finalize that.

What sucked is we had requested the conversion before the fee became locked in....and they only gave us a partial prorate.

Those are data points for other products than TYP family, but I think they're still germane.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
any recent DP's on prorated refund of the Prestige?
I just call a Citi prestige rep, she said after 60 days of annual fee posting I cannot ask for a refund. Not even a pro-rated refund. My annual fee posted last September.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I am going to HUCA later.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by kouichi
I just call a Citi prestige rep, she said after 60 days of annual fee posting I cannot ask for a refund. Not even a pro-rated refund. My annual fee posted last September.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I am going to HUCA later.
HUCA. The agent is confused with the AA cards. I PC'd to rewards+. Got the new card pretty quickly but am still waiting for the pro rata refund.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
I am in the middle of waiting on a PC from AA Exec to AA MileUp. I requested the change in Jan, about a month after the AF hit and the change is not effective until 2/27. I then decided that if I was going to have to pay for 1/4 of the AF anyway, I would just hold on to the card and maintain my ability to get a bonus on a new AA card before the next AF hits (I’m currently within 24 mos and they told me I would be getting a new account number, resetting the clock). When I called in, I asked first whether the prorated AF refund would be based on the Jan date I made the request or the end of Feb effective date and the rep insisted that it would be based on the Jan request date. That makes it a much tougher call, but also wanted to add the data point here and see if anyone can verify that this is accurate. Unfortunately, the language on the PC letter makes no mention of the prorated AF.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Updating my question above, note the craziness of Citi communications:

-Original request: was told unequivocally that I would receive a partial refund
-Follow-up call to Citi: was told my prorated refund would be based on my request date in Jan
-Online chat with Citi: was first told it would be based on the effective date of the change, but I could tell they were confused about the question and when I pressed for clarification, they told me I would need to call in
-Last call with Citi: was told I would get ZERO refund. The AA Exec card is the only card that after 37 days is completely non-refundable, no prorating at all. The person I spoke to was a supervisor and acknowledged that I must have received bad information (why would I ever PC to a lesser card if I wasn't getting ANY of the large AF back??). They gave me 5k in points since it was clear that I had repeatedly been given bad info and I cancelled the PC.

Embarrassingly bad customer service. Three different answers to an important question about a $450 fee.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
That sucks. In general getting correct answers from the 1st tier of Citi CSR is rare/lucky.

It's better to search here, and if the topic hasn't been discussed, then post a question.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by daslax
Updating my question above, note the craziness of Citi communications:

-Last call with Citi: was told I would get ZERO refund. The AA Exec card is the only card that after 37 days is completely non-refundable, no prorating at all. The person I spoke to was a supervisor and acknowledged that I must have received bad information (why would I ever PC to a lesser card if I wasn't getting ANY of the large AF back??). They gave me 5k in points since it was clear that I had repeatedly been given bad info and I cancelled the PC.
In early March, I product changed my and SO's AA plats to the Mile-up card. I did it via chat and was told by the agents I would receive my full fee (it had just hit my account) and SO would get a prorated one. Got the official form letter for both dated March 5 and they stated both cards would convert Apr 24. My card converted online, I got the fee refund, and the new card arrived in early May. For SO's card...crickets. I chatted with them after April 24 and they said it was still happening. I chatted again mid May. Finally, June 2nd we got another one of those form change-account letters with a new change date of July 27. So, 3 months after the original one.
I guess if it's true that we won't get a prorated annual fee then it doesn't matter...but all the agents I chatted with said we would. Man, Citi sucks, lol.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know if you can put this card on hold for a year? Or the Citi AA card? Basically, you tell card company, you don't want to cancel the card, but will be overseas for a year not using the card. Is there a way to avoid paying the annual fee if you plan not to use the card for a year without canceling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.