Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
What counted as online purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Amazon purchase or re-load
  • Carters.com (Merchandise-CHILDRENS / INFANTS WEAR STORE)
  • Costco.com
  • Ebay seller fees (direct entry) (MCC: N/A)
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Gift Card Mall
  • Homedepot.com (Merchandise-HOME SUPPLY WAREHOUSE STORES)
  • Iherb.com (Merchandise-MISC FOOD STORE,SPECIALTY,CONVENIENCE)
  • Kygunco.com (Merchandise-DURABLE GOODS, NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Lockedloaded.com (Merchandise-SPORTING GOODS STORES)
  • MileagePlusX (MCC varies)
  • Pirateship.com (Services-COURIER SERVICE, FREIGHT FORWARDERS)
  • Plastiq (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
  • Scholastic.com (Organizations-MISC SCHOOLS / EDUCATIONAL SERVICES)
  • Usmint.gov (Services-MISC GOVERNMENT SERVICES)
  • united.com (Air Travel-UNITED AIRLINES)
What didn't count as online purchase (alphabetical order):
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Geico.com (Services-INSURANCE-SALES / UNDERWRITING)
  • Paypal (MCC varies)
What counted as utilities purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Cable, Satellite, TV (Restaurants-CABLE,SATELLITE,PAY TV/RADIO SERVICES)
  • Telecom (Restaurants-TELEPHONE SERVICE)
  • Telecom (Services-TELEPHONE SERVICE/EQUIPMENT)
  • Utilities (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
What didn't count as Travel purchase (alphabetical order):
  • VRBO

Credit Line Increases
This is very odd, but according to the Chatbot on the website:
Q. When requesting a credit limit increase, is the credit inquiry a hard or soft credit inquiry?
A. Unfortunately, until we process the request, there isn't a way for us to know if a credit line increase request will be a soft or hard hit on your credit report. For this reason, we have to receive your permission to pull a copy of your credit report before we process the increase request. If you process the request online, you will see a message stating "By submitting this form, you authorize Citibank, N.A. to obtain your credit report."

To request an increase online:
In order to request an increase, you will need to go to your “Credit Home” page, and find “Available Credit” at the top of the page. Then, click on the link that says “Request Increase” to begin the process.

Print Wikipost

Citi Sears Cards (2014 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2021, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
For the Sears SYW card cash back promotion, how long is the wait before the CB shows up in the account?

Also, I see we also earned SYW points. So those points and CB are two different parts? Or SYW points are all we expect to earn?

Never used SYW card. But 10% or 20% offers are too hard to skip.
Fine print typically says they post within 2 billing cycles which is pretty accurate. They usually post as a statement credit 1-2 months after the promo ends for me.

EDIT: And yes, the SYW points are separate from the statement credit. The offers for the statement credit stack with the SYW points you usually get.
RedSun likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 4:37 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by yepperoni
Fine print typically says they post within 2 billing cycles which is pretty accurate. They usually post as a statement credit 1-2 months after the promo ends for me.

EDIT: And yes, the SYW points are separate from the statement credit. The offers for the statement credit stack with the SYW points you usually get.
I get a bunch of SYW points too. Time to look into buying some GCs.
hurnik likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:34 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Does Sears issue larger credit lines? I have $15,900 CL and this is my oldest card. (I have almost $400k in available CL with an 845 FICO, so obviously well-established.)

They want a HP for a CL increase and I am loving this card for all of the bonuses and no-interest financing they have for all purchases through 12/31.

I don't want to waste a HP for them to tell me they are only gonna give me another couple thousand more.

Anyone have a larger CL than mine? I have had the card 21 years.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 355F1
Does Sears issue larger credit lines? I have $15,900 CL and this is my oldest card. (I have almost $400k in available CL with an 845 FICO, so obviously well-established.)

They want a HP for a CL increase and I am loving this card for all of the bonuses and no-interest financing they have for all purchases through 12/31.

I don't want to waste a HP for them to tell me they are only gonna give me another couple thousand more.

We have a couple of cards in the family. From what I know, at beginning, they refused to have any CL. But after cards in active use, it became easy to get CL. I just got my first online CL without any HP. It did not approve the original CL I asked. But still given a large increase.

Our cards are still new. One of the card has CL close to your. It is just two year old. Since this is not my main card, I never have any need for high CL. $8k to $10 is just perfect for me. High CL is actually not good.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1

I do not have a higher CL, but you can work around a hard pull in one of two ways. First, there is a request a credit limit option on the website. Second, you can call and do the same (as you found out). Whether it requires a hard pull or just a soft pull is something Citi has in some sort of algorithm. The way it works both on the website and over the phone is you put in what you want for the new credit limit - then it lets you know if you get the increase (SP)...or if you need a HP. I have no idea what the triggers are, but I can tell you that I neglected this card for over a decade on requesting credit increases mostly, so only just last Dec pursued the second increase request after all the silly offers caused me to cycle my very low limit (based on a college part-time job!) multiple times a month. The first was in 2012 I requested a raise over the phone for some Christmas Sears offers - only needed a small amount, so the phone agent took me from $2500 to $3400 with only a soft pull. This last Dec, I got a HP online going from like $3400 to $8k when I filled out the form, but on the phone they offered a soft pull when I asked for $5k. It likely is based on your total credit limit at Citi, the amount requested (hard $ or % both may matter), credit score, etc. I do know on the regular Citi side that cards DO cap out pretty much - the only increase you can get on those is likely the $500/yr soft pull, and that may cap out eventually. I have one card like that (many multiples of the Sears card). Another Citi card I have with a lower limit spits out a much higher increase when I did a request (SP only). As noted, the Sears (Citi retail) website interface is a bit different though in that it requires inputting a request instead of just a blind ask/they give whatever on the Citi website.

That probably doesn't help much, but hopefully it is a data point.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 8:33 pm

I don't have enough posts to be able to edit the wiki at the top of the thread, but I got some more datapoints for "Online purchase".
"Services-INSURANCE-SALES / UNDERWRITING" does count despite the fine print as I charged some insurance bills to my SYW card in January and they just posted the credit to the statement.
Also this was expected, but I confirmed "Merchandise-WHOLESALE CLUBS" works great as you can buy Costco Shop Cards online and spend them in-store.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 8:34 am
Suspended

I don't have enough posts to be able to edit the wiki at the top of the thread, but I got some more datapoints for "Online purchase".
"Services-INSURANCE-SALES / UNDERWRITING" does count despite the fine print as I charged some insurance bills to my SYW card in January and they just posted the credit to the statement.
Also this was expected, but I confirmed "Merchandise-WHOLESALE CLUBS" works great as you can buy Costco Shop Cards online and spend them in-store.
That was what I just did. I only have $250 to spend with the current promotion. So it is not good to buy a $500 GC. So I ordered a $250 Costco card. Have too much Amazon GC already. That would be my 2nd choice.

I have more spending on Costco than on Amazon right now. Chase Freedom Q1-2021 is also on wholesale club.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 10:19 am
Suspended

Excited to see the SYW cash discount back to my account. Also some SYW points to redeem. Do not get time to track what promotion it is.

yepperoni likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 2:35 pm

Good data. Looks like they didn't use the AT&T Access More's filtering, so good for cardholders!
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 1:19 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Thanks for data point. I'll try my health insurance for March.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:26 pm

Can you please explain how you can tell it counts as a "Internet Purchase" to be eligible for the bonus?

I don't see any kinda of description or data point which says it qualifies or doesn't, so it's like a guessing game for me. For example I purchase a console on playstation.com which I would assume would qualify, but so far it's only showing as a normal 1 point purchase and I haven't gotten my bonus for February yet.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
It is a guessing game. I guess that they use all 'CNP' transactions that way
Old Mar 2, 2021, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by vaggeto
Can you please explain how you can tell it counts as a "Internet Purchase" to be eligible for the bonus?

I don't see any kinda of description or data point which says it qualifies or doesn't, so it's like a guessing game for me. For example I purchase a console on playstation.com which I would assume would qualify, but so far it's only showing as a normal 1 point purchase and I haven't gotten my bonus for February yet.
Some transactions are a bit of a guessing game, but I posted about one fairly reliable way to tell:
If you have another Citi card, you can login and look at the "Purchase Method" coded under each transaction. If the transaction says "Online" it should count for the Sears card online purchase promos as well. If it says "Card Swiped" or is completely missing that line it probably won't count. It's annoying as some purchases you would think are "Online" aren't always coded that way.
I have a minor correction though. If it's missing that line, it *might* still be Card Not Present which seems to still count towards the "Online" offers but I haven't confirmed that.

The only 100% way to tell is to do a test transaction and wait a month or two and see if you get the bonus posted.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:54 pm

Some transactions are a bit of a guessing game, but I posted about one fairly reliable way to tell:

I have a minor correction though. If it's missing that line, it *might* still be Card Not Present which seems to still count towards the "Online" offers but I haven't confirmed that.

The only 100% way to tell is to do a test transaction and wait a month or two and see if you get the bonus posted.
Dang that's crazy it's so unknown. But that's very helpful, thank you!

I do have a Citi CostCo Visa but it seems to provider the same info as the Citi Sears which is just the "category". CNP meaning it wasn't swiped would make complete sense though!
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Right now, there are three pending spending offers.

to 1/31/2021, online purchase
to 2/12/2021, spending bonus
to 3/31/2021, grocery/dine/gas.

The first two can stack.
What are the guidelines around stacking promotions? I always get multiple promotion emails and I never can tell if they do or don't stack, or if activating one will impact another that you've already done spending to earn bonus rewards on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.