Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: Premier 5 TYP points on clothing/office supply/dept stores thru 9/30/17

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted: Premier 5 TYP points on clothing/office supply/dept stores thru 9/30/17

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I got an email today titled "You Qualify to Use Your Citi Card to earn Bonus ThankYou Points: It's So Simple to Sign Up!" (preceded by a check mark and my first name), from "Citi ThankYou Premier".

After registering with a single click, it says I'll earn 5 ThankYou points per $1 spend, up to 2500 points, now through 9/30/2107 pm eligible purchase made at clothing stores, office supply stores, computer & electronic stores, and department stores.

It says discount stores are not eligible, but I don't know what it means by discount stores: just discount department stores like Walmart and Target, or also clothing stores that specialize in "irregular" or discontinued merchandise like Ross Dress for Less or Marshall's?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 29, 2017 at 7:55 pm Reason: corrected type with excess 0 digit
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I got an email today titled "You Qualify to Use Your Citi Card to earn Bonus ThankYou Points: It's So Simple to Sign Up!" (preceded by a check mark and my first name), from "Citi ThankYou Premier".

After registering with a single click, it says I'll earn 5 ThankYou points per $1 spend, up to 25000 points, now through 9/30/2107 pm eligible purchase made at clothing stores, office supply stores, computer & electronic stores, and department stores.

It says discount stores are not eligible, but I don't know what it means by discount stores: just discount department stores like Walmart and Target, or also clothing stores that specialize in "irregular" or discontinued merchandise like Ross Dress for Less or Marshall's?
Mine is up to 2,500 points.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:10 am

didnt get any offers like that... then again, im on their retention bonus period still.

this would be nice to use temporary in place of my ink+.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by dukerau
Ditto. Thinking the 25K mention is a typo.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
Mine is too. I just corrected my typo above.

Btw, since the 5 points is actually 4 extra points, does that mean that it's the first $625 (2500/4) of spend in these categories that you'll earn the 5 points on?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuBu4
didnt get any offers like that... then again, im on their retention bonus period still.

this would be nice to use temporary in place of my ink+.
Well, I've got an extra 2 TYP points on my retention still too. It sounds like it should stack, to 7 TYP points actually in these categories (until capped out).
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:33 pm

Mine is too. I just corrected my typo above.

Btw, since the 5 points is actually 4 extra points, does that mean that it's the first $625 (2500/4) of spend in these categories that you'll earn the 5 points on?
That is my understanding based on the fine print. I'll probably just buy (2) $500 GCs to be on the safe side. Plus the activation fee is the same whether I buy the second GC as $125 or $500, so no reason to leave miles on the table. As an aside, my offer is for the AAdvantage Platinum Select card as opposed to the TYP card you guys have.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Wow a whole 2500 points. Let me just go drop another $500 just so I can get $25-$30 worth of points either by redeeming them for gift cards or transferring them. I mean seriously who thinks of this stuff? People don't shop at department stores, office supply stores, or computer/electronics stores anymore. People shop online at Amazon now.

Offer 5x at restaurants and grocery stores, which is a heck of a lot better. I forgot though, this is Citi we're talking about here, cheapskates.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Wow a whole 2500 points. Let me just go drop another $500 just so I can get $25-$30 worth of points either by redeeming them for gift cards or transferring them. I mean seriously who thinks of this stuff? People don't shop at department stores, office supply stores, or computer/electronics stores anymore. People shop online at Amazon now.
You don't seem to understand why businesses create promotions. It's usually to get you to do something you wouldn't normally do, not to reward you for what you (and everyone else) are already doing! (The latter would be just the bank throwing money away.)

And this is a targeted promotion, and who knows how they're doing the targeting. They're probably (among other things) only targeting people who don't already use the card for everything, and thus are assuming you have other cards, and are trying to get you to use this card more for "random" stuff.

And obviously someone shops at department stores, office supply stores, and computer/electronic stores, because otherwise those physical stores would all have closed by now. It sounds like you switched 100% to online buying, and didn't realize that far from everyone did.

Many people want to see the TV they're going to buy. Many people want to try the feel of the keyboard on the laptop they're going to buy. Many people want to feel the towel they're going to buy. Many people need office supplies now, not after a shipping delay. A big part of most department stores is clothes, and where is the dressing room on Amazon?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 1, 2017 at 8:30 am
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
You don't seem to understand why businesses create promotions. It's usually to get you to do something you wouldn't normally do, not to reward you for what you (and everyone else) are already doing! (The latter would be just the bank throwing money away.)

And this is a targeted promotion, and who knows how they're doing the targeting. They're probably (among other things) only targeting people who don't already use the card for everything, and thus are assuming you have other cards, and are trying to get you to use this card more for "random" stuff.

And obviously someone shops at department stores, office supply stores, and computer/electronic stores, because otherwise those physical stores would all have closed by now. It sounds like you switched 100% to online buying, and didn't realize that far from everyone did.

Many people want to see the TV they're going to buy. Many people want to try the feel of the keyboard on the laptop they're going to buy. Many people want to feel the towel they're going to buy. Many people need office supplies now, not after a shipping delay. A big part of most department stores is clothes, and where is the dressing room on Amazon?
I hope you realize department stores are closing left and right... Just look at Sears, JC Penney, Kmart, Macy's, etc. Also office/computer stores like CompUSA, BestBuy, and Circuit City have/are going the way of the crapper.

Often, people may go to the store, and then buy online (like from Amazon) because their return process and prices are better anyways.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:21 pm

A big part of most department stores is clothes, and where is the dressing room on Amazon?
Full Credit Answer: It's in your imagination! Just imagine how the virtual clothes will fit by imagining it in your head, that is all. It's so easy! Even an American can do it.

And to mikesyr18: If you really love Amazon so much that you want to see a new world where the one and only store that exists is called Amazon.com, how about helping out to create a bill that I am sure Donald Trump will love, that would ban all physical and online stores, except Amazon, from doing business in our country's market. That would surely make "America Great Again" don't you think?

And by the way, name the bill "America's Shopping Enhancement Act of 2017"!

Last edited by Tyler2017; Jul 1, 2017 at 10:28 pm
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Tyler2017
Full Credit Answer: It's in your imagination! Just imagine how the virtual clothes will fit by imagining it in your head, that is all. It's so easy! Even an American can do it.

And to mikesyr18: If you really love Amazon so much that you want to see a new world where the one and only store that exists is called Amazon.com, how about helping out to create a bill that I am sure Donald Trump will love, that would ban all physical and online stores, except Amazon, from doing business in our country's market. That would surely make "America Great Again" don't you think?

And by the way, name the bill "America's Shopping Enhancement Act of 2017"!
I think Amazon proposed something like that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/20/b...l-fashion.html
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I think Amazon proposed something like that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/20/b...l-fashion.html
But Amazon never proposed such a great legislation that will help our country!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This offers allows you to earn the bonus and still shop at Amazon, if that's your preference. Example: Office Depot/Max sells Amazon gift cards, and many many others.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tyler2017
Full Credit Answer: It's in your imagination! Just imagine how the virtual clothes will fit by imagining it in your head, that is all. It's so easy! Even an American can do it
It's not easy. Only a fraction of shirts that look on the rack like they'll fit me well actually fit me well. (And that's not counting the ones that I do vs don't like the feel of after I touch them.) Similar for pants.

Yes, some clothes that only come in a few sizes (t-shirts, socks, etc), that generally works online. Clothes that have lots of different dimensions (most of which are unstated or vaguely stated like "narrow fit"), not so well IME.

Perhaps it depends on the type of clothes you buy how well it works vs not. If you always buy the same brand and model (eg, Levi 550), then of course you can assume that the fit is consistent. But if you're always buying random brands, that doesn't work so well IME.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.