Wiki Posts
Search

Is CSR wrong? Combine accounts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Is CSR wrong? Combine accounts

Hello,

I have Citi Premier and Citi Preferred cards with separate thankyou point account numbers.

I wanted to combine all the points to one account (Preferred account), transfer all points to mileage account and then close Premier account.

Called Citi and CSR claims that I cannot transfer ALL points to mileage account, only the points I have on Premier account.

Isn't CSR incorrect?

I tried to combine the accounts online but seem to be having an issue hence had called CSR.

Thank you for your assistance
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nkaufman
I wanted to combine all the points to one account (Preferred account), transfer all points to mileage account and then close Premier account.
It's never safe to say that an agent is mistaken, because Citi makes changes without notice, but this does not match experience.

There is more than one way to achieve your objective. If the number of points in the Preferred account is less than 100,000 you can SHARE those points with another account (your Premier account), and then your Premier account can TRANSFER them to an airline. Some points are not eligible to be SHARED, and those same points are not eligible to be TRANSFERRED.

To read about SHARING:

Login to thankyou.com
Navigate: More Ways to Redeem > See All > Scroll Right to > Points Sharing > Share Points on thankyou.com > Confirm Identity > Continue > etc.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I could be incorrect.

But see if you can move around the sponsoring accounts to get those TY combined.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
It's never safe to say that an agent is mistaken, because Citi makes changes without notice, but this does not match experience.

There is more than one way to achieve your objective. If the number of points in the Preferred account is less than 100,000 you can SHARE those points with another account (your Premier account), and then your Premier account can TRANSFER them to an airline. Some points are not eligible to be SHARED, and those same points are not eligible to be TRANSFERRED.

To read about SHARING:

Login to thankyou.com
Navigate: More Ways to Redeem > See All > Scroll Right to > Points Sharing > Share Points on thankyou.com > Confirm Identity > Continue > etc.
Some points to note
-Just would like to clarify. Never said CSR was wrong, rather was asking if CSR was wrong. So not a statement but a question.
-CSRs have known to be wrong
-Was finally able to move my miles around by moving sponsored accounts, was able to merge miles and was able to move ALL miles (to the nearest thousand) and SEE the miles in my airline mileage account.

So, all good.

Thanks,

Originally Posted by garykung
I could be incorrect.

But see if you can move around the sponsoring accounts to get those TY combined.
That did the trick. Thanks

Last edited by mia; Nov 16, 2016 at 8:24 am
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Some points to note
-Just would like to clarify. Never said CSR was wrong, rather was asking if CSR was wrong. So not a statement but a question.
-CSRs have known to be wrong
-Was finally able to move my miles around by moving sponsored accounts, was able to merge miles and was able to move ALL miles (to the nearest thousand) and SEE the miles in my airline mileage account.

So, all good.

Thanks,

That did the trick. Thanks
How do you do that? I can't combine 2 different thankyou accounts, it gives me an error for some reason. I have 4 cards and one banking account under one TY account, and then 2 cards have separate TY accounts, which I can't combine.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by yugi
How do you do that? I can't combine 2 different thankyou accounts, it gives me an error for some reason. I have 4 cards and one banking account under one TY account, and then 2 cards have separate TY accounts, which I can't combine.
You don't combine TY accounts.

You move the sponsoring accounts from one TY accounts to another.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by garykung
You don't combine TY accounts.

You move the sponsoring accounts from one TY accounts to another.
Yes, I tried this. But it didn't work, so I called them, and they combined everything.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:55 am

Hello,

I have Citi Premier and Citi Preferred cards with separate thankyou point account numbers.

Called Citi and CSR claims that I cannot transfer ALL points to mileage account, only the points I have on Premier account.

Isn't CSR incorrect?

I tried to combine the accounts online but seem to be having an issue hence had called CSR.

Thank you for your assistance
Did the Premier points stay after you closed the a/c?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
I think the point is transfer the points and use em right away in that case
- bear in mind there is a transfer limit.

OR combine accounts under one TYP (but irreversible)
- and keep in mind that the points will always be associated with the card earned and have a defined expiration date. First points used are the ones that expire first.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mrkymark
I think the point is transfer the points and use em right away in that case
- bear in mind there is a transfer limit.

OR combine accounts under one TYP (but irreversible)
- and keep in mind that the points will always be associated with the card earned and have a defined expiration date. First points used are the ones that expire first.
What is the period of the defined expiration date?

Answering my own question:

Unless otherwise noted in your promotional materials, points that are contributed by ThankYou Rewards will expire three years from the end of the year in which they are awarded to you.
The FAQs say, for what kind of information is provided in my points summary:

Your Points Summary provides all of the details about your ThankYouŽ Rewards transactions, including when you earn points or redeem points for rewards. Your Points Summary displays the current month, with the dropdown menu in the middle of the page allowing you to view previous months' transactions.

You can view your total available point balance, total unavailable point balance, expiring points as well as reinstated points.

Problem is - I don't see "expiring points" in the My Points Summary" screen.

Being told from Chat session: "It will only show any expiring points within next 60 days.

The points will not expire as long your account is active. If you close the credit card, the points will expire within next 60 days."

The FAQs about 3years:
"No, that term is for checking account points."

Final:
"The points earned through Citi Prestige card do not expire."

Last edited by cova; Aug 13, 2017 at 9:52 am
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
On the TYP page...

If you have points expiring you will see this besides your balance:

POINTS EXPIRING
You do not have points expiring in the next 60 days or less.
Click here to: [View points expiring in the future]

If you don't see this by your balance you most likely do not have any accounts associated with the TYP account that have any sort of expiration.

So then in what situations would a person see that Expiration of Points?
- if you have, for example, a Citi Forward Card (3? years TYP expiration)
- AT&T Univerisal Card (4 years I think)
Basically anything with an expiration will trigger the display in which you can see the spread of points and when they expire.

If they are about to expire maybe I should transfer them out to extend the life of them?
- any transfer to another TYP account, whether they be your own (owning multiple separate TYP accounts) or others automatically triggers a 90 day expiration of those points that you attempt to transfer - not recommended.

So when is transferring points recommended?
- let's say you have a Citi Presitge and a Citi Forward (which use to give 5points/dollar) for Amazon.
- You earn 5TYPs/$ on the Citi Forward and bank all the TYPs in that separate TYP account and then transfer what you need to your Citi Prestige separate TYP account so that they can be booked for American Airlines airfare at 1.6 cents per TYP. (This benefit of 1.6c/TYP just ended from the Prestige though)

I have separate TYP accounts and when I login Citi wants me to combine TYP accounts. Any reasons why I should not?
- they tempt you sometimes with 500 bonus TYPs for combining TYP accounts.
- the reason, in my opinion, why you should not do it is because there is no good reason to do so.
- one reason is that the points - although pooled into one TYP account give you a nice balance to look at- the points are still intimately associated with the specific credit card or checking account that you earned them with.
- practically that means if say you earn a boatload of Citi TYPs with your Prestige card for the last 3 years, and let's just say you have a new Citi Premier card as well and just got a hefty bonus from that - then decide - hey annual fee is too high for Prestige - I am going to cancel it...
- both cards have a no expiration policy on TYP points. But the moment you cancel your Prestige - all points associated/historically earned with the Prestige, regardless of if you combined the TYPs of the Premier and Prestige accounts - will adopt a XX day expiration immediately. XX is 30 or 60 days I cant remember.

If you only have one Prestige Card, and only one associated TYP account you dont have to worry. No expiration at all. Not complicated. Just don't cancel your card! The situation only gets complicated if you have multiple Citi products/credit cards, and multiple TYP accounts.

Oh and one last piece of interesting fact:
If you keep multiple TYP accounts separate, and you are "saving for the day to transfer them for a big reward"
Example: say 100K points in your Citi Forward Card TYP - and you want to transfer them to your Citi Prestige TYP to take advantage of the 1.25c/TYP travel booking.
- you are barred from transferring points to another TYP account if the TYP's are within 90 days of expiration. So if you forget about that 100K TYP Citi Forward balance - you're stuck with whatever redemption value for that card.

Last edited by mrkymark; Aug 13, 2017 at 11:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.