Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

When do Citi ThankYou point bookings count as AA "special fare"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do Citi ThankYou point bookings count as AA "special fare"?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Under fare summary it says only this:

Please contact your travel agent for airfare or trip changes.
Yes, this means that it will most probably credit as distance based. Under flight information, you will see something like this:

American Airlines
AA 4406
Operated by Republic Airlines As American Eagle

Boston (BOS) March 25, 2017 08:00 AM
Travel Time : 1 h 30 m
Class : Economy
Seat : 9A

New York (LGA)
March 25, 2017 09:30 AM
Booking Code : Q
Plane Type : E75

The booking code, in this case Q, determines what percentage of distance you will accrue miles/EQDs with. Q earns 50% base miles and 10% EQDs according to special fare.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by nwngeek212
Yes, this means that it will most probably credit as distance based. Under flight information, you will see something like this:

American Airlines
AA 4406
Operated by Republic Airlines As American Eagle

Boston (BOS) March 25, 2017 08:00 AM
Travel Time : 1 h 30 m
Class : Economy
Seat : 9A

New York (LGA)
March 25, 2017 09:30 AM
Booking Code : Q
Plane Type : E75

The booking code, in this case Q, determines what percentage of distance you will accrue miles/EQDs with. Q earns 50% base miles and 10% EQDs according to special fare.
No Booking Code anywhere, but I purchased (w/TYPs) international Business and domestic First, which the record reflects. RNO/LAX/LHR/BCN-DUB/LHR/LAX/RNO
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:20 am

Just ran into this problem on recent flights. I wonder if it has to do with how long before departure the ticket is purchased.

I recently flew DCA-DFW-AUS. Booked in "D" paid for with TYP. Booked within 48 hours of travel. I received full EQMs, but RDMs posted as "Method: Distance - special fare." In this case it, I was disadvantaged because I would have received more RDMs if the RDMs were calculated based on fare paid.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:25 pm

Is there any way to tell definitively from pulling up an itinerary on AA.com whether or not it will credit as a special fare?

Can anyone confirm that all segments credited as special fares are noted as "Method: Distance - special fare." on the "your activity" page?

I flew the outbound of an itinerary booked with TYP recently and both segments credited as "Method: Fare" - does this mean that the entire itinerary is not being treated as a special fare?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA
It seems like we are still split on whether TYP will code as special fare for distance based EQD vs. Fare based.

I am planning on buying a one way ticket through Citi and partially pay with TYP and the rest with a credit card. How can you guys tell if the flight will code as distance vs fare? It's a flight on F so the difference in EQD could be as much as 2x.

What are your thoughts?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Used TYP to buy a MIA-LAX-MIA Business class ticket for Ms mia . (Three cabin aircraft) She flew the outbound segment and it posted as a Special Fare:

MIA - LAX
Apr 13, 2017 • AA 0275 • Business (D)
Posted: Apr 14, 2017
Method: Distance - special fare
akr1970akr likes this.

Last edited by mia; Apr 14, 2017 at 7:00 am
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I booked some family members on AA-marketed, BA-operated flights using Citi TY points. When I look at the reservation on AA.com, it doesn't show the fare, instead showing the message to contact your TA. I think this likely means mileage accumulation will be distance-based.

The flights are booked into N and S booking class (tip: if you email the reservation to yourself from AA.com, it shows the booking classes).

We already have a BA household account, but those booking classes would earn only 25% on Avios.

The AA special fares page shows 50% under special fares, and 75% under "when ticket fare/details are unavailable" - any idea which one would apply in this case?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by moonwoo
It seems like we are still split on whether TYP will code as special fare for distance based EQD vs. Fare based.

I am planning on buying a one way ticket through Citi and partially pay with TYP and the rest with a credit card. How can you guys tell if the flight will code as distance vs fare? It's a flight on F so the difference in EQD could be as much as 2x.

What are your thoughts?
It's a coin flip but more heavily special fare
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by eltoddo22
As

The first one appears to have successfully went through as "special fare" as it does not have price under "Cost summary".

Apologies if this was already asked, but is this a surefire way to tell if a booking will be calculated as a special fare after booking a ticket through TYP and/or Chase UR?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by pluu1285
Apologies if this was already asked, but is this a surefire way to tell if a booking will be calculated as a special fare after booking a ticket through TYP and/or Chase UR?
Under your trip summary page on AA, check what is listed under cost summary. If it says something along the lines of "check with your travel agent..." it will be special fare.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Is this the answer why some are special fares and others are not?

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...ulk-fare-code/

Bulk Fare within the fare code
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:49 am

I had a very peculiar issue with my recent ThankYou point redemption on AA. I booked a ticket that was very clearly (based on price, and as indicated on the ThankYou portal) in booking code "L", but I received EQDs and RDMs in booking codes "Q" and "O"...

I spoke to AA customer service, but they told me that the original ticket was issued in those lower fare classes, meaning it was a Citi/Connexions issue. Anybody else have this issue?

------------ EDIT -------------

After speaking with Connexions customer service, I learned that apparently Connexions will try to negotiate a lower fare with AA (and probably with other airlines) even after you have booked your ticket, which may downfare your itinerary. After I called and to find out more about this, they agreed to reimburse me the difference between prices of the two fares.

Is this standard practice for ThankYou/Connexions? Why haven't I heard of this "benefit" before? And it begs the question, had I not called in, would I have ever seen the fare difference on my statement?
akr1970akr likes this.

Last edited by nwngeek212; Aug 28, 2017 at 10:13 am Reason: Spoke with Citi customer service
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Originally Posted by nwngeek212
After speaking with Connexions customer service, I learned that apparently Connexions will try to negotiate a lower fare with AA (and probably with other airlines) even after you have booked your ticket, which may downfare your itinerary. After I called and to find out more about this, they agreed to reimburse me the difference between prices of the two fares.

Is this standard practice for ThankYou/Connexions? Why haven't I heard of this "benefit" before? And it begs the question, had I not called in, would I have ever seen the fare difference on my statement?
I just noticed the same with an upcoming reservation this weekend. My confirmation email from Connexions shows fare code "V" but my confirmed reservation with American Airlines is fare code "G". I may try to call about it and see if they will credit the difference. This really complicates crediting to the AAdvantage program if Connexions will always try to down-fare what you purchasing into a lower-earning bucket!
logicalrealist and akr1970akr like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:31 pm

I can't see any more bulk/wholesale fares with American on the Citi ThankYou Portal; it's possible that AA has stopped selling bulk tickets to Connexions/Citi.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I'm looking at booking a J ticket on Finnair using TYP and crediting to AA for the EQD/EQM I need to retain my AA status. Any possible pitfalls here that I should be aware of? I know the partner airline should always credit as distance-based for purposes of EQD, but could the booking code trip me up if booked through Citi? Thanks.
akr1970akr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.