Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi fraud procedures and experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi fraud procedures and experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut
So this must have been done for your safety, not necessarily because of the MS. They legit thought it was fraud, so they immediately shutdown the account, and will send you a new CC with a different account number.

Citi has done this before and I expect they will especially do it now with all of the Target/Neiman's data breaching episodes.
I'm chatting with another person to see if they are in fact sending me another card.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:37 pm

You scared a lot of people here ...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:39 pm

UPDATE: All is good account is reactivated and ready to use.

Spoke to a few levels of people and got to someone who would look at it and was able to verify. One thing she said was that she's seen "a lot" of this activity lately kind of tongue in cheek haha.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by godsquare
You scared a lot of people here ...
it could have been prevented if the first person wouldn't have fed me a bunch of nonsense. But they KNOW what we're doing...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just glad it's taken care of. I assume all is well until you stop paying your bills.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut
Just glad it's taken care of. I assume all is well until you stop paying your bills.
haha All I wanted to do was get my miles posted by first statement so i could be a good data point for the 100K bonus points. The hoops i have to go through...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
it could have been prevented if the first person wouldn't have fed me a bunch of nonsense. But they KNOW what we're doing...
If you think they have no idea what we are doing or they don't know what item we bought in (almost) each and every transaction, you are going to have a bad time ...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:24 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
I am not surprised by Citi customer service giving you bad info. It is hit or miss until you reach the right person.

My experience: Of course my first large purchase at the neighborhood pharmacy was flagged by Citi for possible fraud and I had to call in from the store. The agent in Florida had some difficulty verifying my identity because I moved recently and also had used my work address for shipping the card. But once he was satisfied with that, he did want to know what I was buying for $5xxx at the pharmacy and I was honestish -- "some supplies and gift cards". He was okay with that as there is really nothing wrong with this at all.

So, yes, they may know what we are buying, but they don't care. In fact, I'd argue that having people with good/excellent credit who pay off the balance makes some of their average metrics look good as it reduces the overall risk spread of their credit card user base; And, this I suspect is one of the reasons they tolerate MS and keep approving our apps.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: SW
Certainly makes me want to space out my spending. OTOH, if Citi issues a "challenge" of spending $10k in 3 months there ARE going to be some big purchases on the card in short order.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:14 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Mod Notes: Edited the thread title to more accurately reflect the situation. Eventually, this thread will probably be moved to the MS forum.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:25 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Mod Notes: Edited the thread title to more accurately reflect the situation. Eventually, this thread will probably be moved to the MS forum.
Thanks MDtR-Chicago! I came here to suggest a title change myself to prevent a lot of unnecessary panic. And of course move to the MS forum as well.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:16 pm

Thanks MDtr-Chicago. Sorry for causing the panic
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Citibank card replacement due to fraud?

Just a heads up.

I got a brand new Citi AA Platinum credit card in the mail this week. There was a note inside the mailing that my credit card account number was being changed because of some security risk external to Citibank.

At this point, with news almost daily that yet another large US retailer or financial institution has been hacked, I trust no one. The mailing looked legit, but I decided to call Citi using the 800 number on the back of my card.

The Citi CSR told me that there was not any fraudulent activity on my credit card account. However, Citi has decided to take preemptive action, and is replacing a large number of accounts. (I think she said 600,000 accounts are getting new cards.) My guess is that there is so much successful hacking out there that Citi didn't want the risk of losses due to stolen credit card numbers. Or perhaps I used my Citicard at someplace like Home Depot, which was hit recently.

Now I'm waiting to see if my wife gets a new card as well.

Anyone else out there have their Citicards replaced?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Mine were replaced, received the new cards this past Monday.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:30 pm

Have had my Citi AA Plat for 10 months now. Haven't used it in the last 90 days or so. Received an email fraud alert tonight. Somebody got the number and attempted to put a $1 charge for a phone card through from El Salvador. I must have used the card at one of the stores that have had a breach lately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.