Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Closing AAdvantage card after receiving bonus - Do I need to worry about clawback?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Closing AAdvantage card after receiving bonus - Do I need to worry about clawback?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

I recently opened a Citi AAdvantage gold card. The only reason I opened it was for the 25K signup bonus. From my perspective there is no advantage to keeping the card open. The credit line is minimal and the card does not offer any benefits that I don't already receive through other cards. The bonus posted to my frequent flyer account on my first statement. I am planning to close the account in order to raise the average age of my open accounts. Should I be worried about Citi attempting to clawback the points?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:27 pm

There is already a thread on these cards, so no need to start a new one. Please go to that thread (it's almost always on the first page), expand the wiki, and read FAQ #4.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
There is already a thread on these cards, so no need to start a new one. Please go to that thread (it's almost always on the first page), expand the wiki, and read FAQ #4.
Believe it or not I had actually read that wiki over half a dozen times before I had applied for the card but I am afraid that detail did not stick. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by gruntermen
I am planning to close the account in order to raise the average age of my open accounts.
AAoA can be improved only by keeping the accounts open. So I don't see how this will work.

Should I be worried about Citi attempting to clawback the points?
No. Once deposited, it is yours. In some cases, there is nothing to clawback as they are used.

However, Citi can exercise its discretion to blacklist you permanently for immature closure.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
AAoA can be improved only by keeping the accounts open. So I don't see how this will work.
My understanding is that certain credit scoring models only consider the average age of open accounts. By closing my newer open accounts I should be able to take them out of the equation.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
My understanding is that certain credit scoring models only consider the average age of open accounts. By closing my newer open accounts I should be able to take them out of the equation.
Which model(s)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.