Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card (2012 - 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card (2012 - 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by rgm18
my father is in the same boat as me. his statement closed about 3 weeks ago and still hasnt gotten the certs.
Spending complete in the proper time frame? Had the card before?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I called yesterday and was told it can take up to 10 weeks. I am running the NYC marathon for charity and called to see if they could expedite the certificates. After speaking to the representative (who told me I did not qualify), I spoke to a supervisor that absolutely nothing could be done, there was no one I could speak to who could get them early for me, and that NO ONE HAD EVER GOTTEN THEM EARLY! I politely told him I had heard differently from this forum and he told me I was basically full of s***! I am not a happy camper considering I have spent close to $5000 on my two Citi cards in the past 8 months.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:08 pm

Phone agents will always repeat the "8-10 weeks" no matter the question. Most of them don't know what they're talking about. But especially Citi agents.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Runner123
I spoke to a supervisor that absolutely nothing could be done, there was no one I could speak to who could get them early for me, and that NO ONE HAD EVER GOTTEN THEM EARLY! I politely told him I had heard differently from this forum and he told me I was basically full of s***!
I guessing you failed to point him to the pertinent FT post numbers to back up your claim?

Originally Posted by Runner123
I am not a happy camper considering I have spent close to $5000 on my two Citi cards in the past 8 months.
$5K per card, or combined on both? If the former, that's an average spend of $625 a month, which doesn't exactly make you a DYKWIA big spender.

I just spent $5045 on my new EXEC in the past 3 days, and all I'm expecting is the regular sign up bonus at the regular time for it to post.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Brugge
I guessing you failed to point him to the pertinent FT post numbers to back up your claim?

$5K per card, or combined on both? If the former, that's an average spend of $625 a month, which doesn't exactly make you a DYKWIA big spender.

I just spent $5045 on my new EXEC in the past 3 days, and all I'm expecting is the regular sign up bonus at the regular time for it to post.
^
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:13 am

Yes
Originally Posted by Superorb
Spending complete in the proper time frame? Had the card before?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by rgm18
Yes
If yes to both questions, did you apply for the 2nd card using a link without churning language? When did you close the earlier card?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:10 pm

sorry, only 1 card, no churning
yes spent the money in the correct amount of time
thanks

If yes to both questions, did you apply for the 2nd card using a link without churning language? When did you close the earlier card?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25
Does anyone know if the $100 statement credit works for a prepaid Internet booking for a year from now?
I have a related question. I don't have any upcoming stays but was wondering if the $100 credit could be used for dinner, etc at a Hilton property? Any data points on this?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:19 am

The 2nd link w/o churning restriction is actually dysfunctional.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:27 am

How long does it usually take for the $100 statement credit to post? thanks
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by plainheart
Yup, it looks like a redirect loop.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:16 pm

I am new to the idea of churning credit cards. I opened a HHonors Reserve card earlier this year, and have received my two free night certificates. I am going to open the HHonors Visa with no annual fee, and 6 points per dollar. If I want to re-apply for the Reserve card after the 18 month period is up. I do not think I will have spent enough to qualify for the anniversary free night (as I am going between the HHonors card and Southwest cards), but is there any reason not to simply cancel that card before the AF date arrives? I know I will lose my gold status.

Second, I have read that you do not need to cancel the first card to re-apply and receive the sign-up bonus, but wouldn't I then have to pay the annual fee for both cards?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by plainheart
The landing page looks fine, but when I click "apply" I get this:

"Looking for Something at Citi?

We're sorry, but the page could not be found. The link may be outdated or you may have entered the address (URL) incorrectly."

I guess I need to look up my last app date for this card, and count off 18 months....
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by BK2012
I am new to the idea of churning credit cards. I opened a HHonors Reserve card earlier this year, and have received my two free night certificates. I am going to open the HHonors Visa with no annual fee, and 6 points per dollar. If I want to re-apply for the Reserve card after the 18 month period is up. I do not think I will have spent enough to qualify for the anniversary free night (as I am going between the HHonors card and Southwest cards), but is there any reason not to simply cancel that card before the AF date arrives? I know I will lose my gold status.

Second, I have read that you do not need to cancel the first card to re-apply and receive the sign-up bonus, but wouldn't I then have to pay the annual fee for both cards?
No reason to wait for the renewal fee to post:

"offer not available if you have had a Citi®Hilton HHonorsTM Reserve Card account that was opened or closed in the past 18 months"

So if you close it at the renewal date, you have to wait another 18 months before you can apply again.

The two options are keep the card open and pay the second AF, wait 6 more months, and then apply for another card. Then quickly cancel the first one, since the second app resets the clock anyway.

Or close the first card soon after you get it, so as to reset the 18 month clock quickly. Your Gold status doesn't require having the card still open. Once you see Gold on your personal HH page, you will stay Gold until March of the next year. So the best strategy is to apply for this card in January, do the min spnd right away, and as soon as the HH points and Gold status post to your HH account cancel the card. That way you will stay Gold until March of the next year (14 months). In mid-July you can reapply for another one, and repeat the process, so you only have 4 months when you aren't Gold. But of course the second time you do this, you lose Gold for more like a year.

Or instead of doing that second Citi app, apply for an AMEX Surpass at the end of March in the second year. Even if you have had a Surpass in the past, AMEX will give you another one, they just won't give you a sign up bonus. Other than Gold status, of course. So you are essentially paying $75 for Gold status. Which may or may not be worth it to you, depending on how often you stay at Hilton properties.

Then the following Jan you can reapply for the Citi Res, do the spend, and quickly cancel. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat...

This way your average cost for Gold is $85 a year, and you get another set of certificates every 2 years. So you are essentially paying $85 per night for a weekend stay in a top level Hilton, and stay Gold as well. Not quite the free lunch we were used to, but those days seem to be over, at least for the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.