FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card (2012 - 2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1740198-citi-hilton-hhonors-reserve-card-2012-2015-a.html)

thetravelabstract Jul 26, 2012 8:20 am

Originally Posted by iceman77_7 (Post 19003854)
Wow, lucky you. Just did pretty much the exact same thing and got waitlisted for both. Can't remember the last time I got instant approval.

Originally Posted by geclub1 (Post 19003553)
Applied using two browser approach for the new HHonors Reserve card and the regular HHonors Visa Signature card and got instant approvals for both. Credit limit on the Reserve card is 50% higher than the Visa Signature card.

Just checked Equifax and only 1 credit inquiry.

Thanks for both of your data points.

Is this your first time getting a Hilton Citicard?

If yes, did you use the 2-browser trick that time as well?

I really like the card but if you want a vacation that includes weekdays you definitely need the HHonors points. I was thinking of the same strategy.

Has anybody done 2-browser on Reserve only?

geclub1 Jul 26, 2012 9:15 am

Originally Posted by thetravelabstract (Post 19005201)

I really like the card but if you want a vacation that includes weekdays you definitely need the HHonors points. I was thinking of the same strategy.

Yes, this is the first time for any Hilton Citi cards.

iceman77_7 Jul 26, 2012 9:45 am

Originally Posted by thetravelabstract (Post 19005201)

This is my first Hilton app as well.

dapet Jul 26, 2012 11:41 am

Originally Posted by geclub1 (Post 19005582)
Yes, this is the first time for any Hilton Citi cards.

Congratulations, great hit. When you used the two Browsers did you use a different e-mail address too? I assume you used your same home address and phone number.

geclub1 Jul 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by dapet (Post 19006621)
Congratulations, great hit. When you used the two Browsers did you use a different e-mail address too? I assume you used your same home address and phone number.

Same email address.

Churnman Jul 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Has anyone with a Hilton Surpass Amex tried applying for this new citi one? I could not see anything in the terms to discourage that so I assume citi wants me too. But, if I'm planning a trip with Hilton 2 or 3 years away then the 2 free nights from the citi won't help me, is that correct? Are those nights from certificates which expire in 6 months or a year, or no expiration. With points there's nmo expiration, but what about free nights? Isn't the Hyatt 2 free night cc promotion the same way; expires in 1 year? If that's so I will wait until within 1 year from the time I need the free nights.

lkar Jul 26, 2012 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by montreid (Post 19003593)
Grand Wailea 2 nights may sway us to dump Surpass early and swap since we're going to Maui next spring.

I saw a reference somewhere (one of the blogs?) that some W-As might not participate. Any confirmation whether Grand Wailea will be on the ok list? If so, two nights is a 160,000 point value, so it really is a great reason to apply for the card.

That said, who goes to Maui for two days? Somehow these "free" nights and flights always seem to end up costing me in the long run . . . .

Churnman Jul 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 19007697)
I saw a reference somewhere (one of the blogs?) that some W-As might not participate. Any confirmation whether Grand Wailea will be on the ok list? If so, two nights is a 160,000 point value, so it really is a great reason to apply for the card.

That said, who goes to Maui for two days? Somehow these "free" nights and flights always seem to end up costing me in the long run . . . .

If you're traveling with a spouse then the both of you can get the card and book 4 nights there, then if you've got points at another chain, like Starwood, Marriott or Hyatt you can extend stay longer for free just have to check out of one and into another.

MilesTalk Jul 26, 2012 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 19007697)

I believe it only excludes W=A's for which there are no standard rooms at all, ever. From the T&C's of the application page:

"A weekend night certificate is valid for one (1) weekend night standard accommodation at category 1-7 hotels and select Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, subject to availability and excluding All-Inclusive or Hilton Grand Vacation properties. Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts that do not offer standard rooms are excluded. "

particlemn Jul 26, 2012 4:56 pm

just took an online survey asking if i would like a card with these benefits.
seems like a response
The Hilton HHonorsTM Surpass® Card from American Express
This credit card is for HHonors members who want to take travel to the next level. Earn HHonors Bonus Points faster, enjoy exclusive perks, plus maintain elite status to get even more out of your HHonors experiences. No blackout dates, no caps and no expiration dates as long as you’re a Cardmember.
Earn Hilton HHonors Bonus Points on every purchase:
• Earn 9 HHonors Bonus Points for every dollar spent at a participating hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio of brands.
• Earn 6 HHonors Bonus Points for every dollar spent on gas, groceries, drugstores, internet service providers, home & wireless phone service.
• Earn 3 HHonors Bonus Points for every dollar spent elsewhere.
Additional features:
• Receive HHonors Gold Elite Status as long as you’re a Cardmember and enjoy benefits including upgrades to preferred rooms, complimentary breakfast, and free high speed internet access. • Upgrade to HHonors Diamond Elite Status when you spend $40,000 in a calendar year and enjoy all the benefits of Gold Elite Status plus guaranteed reservations at sold out hotels, executive lounge access and 1,000 HHonors Bonus Points per stay.
• Complimentary Priority Pass membership ($99 value) which grants you access to over 600 airport lounges around the world regardless of your choice of airline.
• Get your tickets first with pre-sale access to concerts, sporting events, Broadway shows and more.
• Your Card gives you the option to carry a balance at a competitive interest rate. So, whether you’re managing your monthly expenses or making a large purchase, you’ll have the flexibility you need while continuing to earn the rewards you love.
In addition to these benefits, you can rely on the services that come with American Express membership, including protection for your purchases, car rental loss & damage insurance, extended warranty coverage and the 24/7 support of customer service professionals to help you.
Annual fee: $95

XStAnt Jul 26, 2012 6:09 pm

I've been looking to add some Hilton points to my portfolio. However, I am a leisure traveler with no trips planned for the next year. Since I won't be able to use the two free weekend nights or gold status I'm going to hold off on getting this card. I think for now I'm better offf getting the no fee Citi or Amex hilton cards to accumulate points. I'll probably get the Citi no fee Hilton card now before the 50,000 point offer disappears.

montreid Jul 26, 2012 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman (Post 19008131)
If you're traveling with a spouse then the both of you can get the card and book 4 nights there, then if you've got points at another chain, like Starwood, Marriott or Hyatt you can extend stay longer for free just have to check out of one and into another.

I'm probably not going to do 2 cards as $200 is a bit over the top for us in AF--even for the WA....just want to experience it without high point waste....I checked out the GW's website and didn't find 'standard rooms' which is of some concern...just have to wait for someone to try this out since we're not going until Feb.

We're currently booked in Sheraton next to Blackrock on points and planning to use our suite nights for it then finish off with GW at the end with a spending spree at the nearby $$$ mall.

For those high dollar spenders, we've found the 40k Diamond level one of the best spend options out there....

sdsearch Jul 27, 2012 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Churnman (Post 19007409)
Has anyone with a Hilton Surpass Amex tried applying for this new citi one? I could not see anything in the terms to discourage that so I assume citi wants me too. But, if I'm planning a trip with Hilton 2 or 3 years away then the 2 free nights from the citi won't help me, is that correct? Are those nights from certificates which expire in 6 months or a year, or no expiration. With points there's nmo expiration, but what about free nights? Isn't the Hyatt 2 free night cc promotion the same way; expires in 1 year? If that's so I will wait until within 1 year from the time I need the free nights.

First of all, there's no relationship between the Hlton Surpass Amex and the Citi cards. So one does not rule out the other.

The next thing you need to understand about Citi is that they don't mind you having more than one of the same kind of card or very similar kind of card, and (with the exception of AA) they don't mind you applying for the same card over and over agian.

But yes, the free night certs do expire, plus can only be use for weekend nights (not other days of the week). Points don't expire (as long as you periodically have activity in your HH account), and they're good any day of the week (that the hotel has availability).

So while you're waiting the couple years to apply for this Reserve card, why don't you apply for two of these cards:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nors-visa.html

at the same time (using the two browser type trick), and then as long as you can do $1500 spend within 6 months on both of them, you'll end up the 100k HHonors points total for both of them. And then once you've achieved that, you can cancel, wait a while, and then do it all again for another 50k to 100k! And then again... That's a lot of points you could earn in 2 years, even if only doing 2 cards every 6 months, while waiting for the right time to apply for a Reserve card...

oneeyejack Jul 27, 2012 10:54 am

Originally Posted by particlemn (Post 19008702)
just took an online survey asking if i would like a card with these benefits.
seems like a response
The Hilton HHonorsTM Surpass® Card from American Express
This credit card is for HHonors members who want to take travel to the next level. Earn HHonors Bonus Points faster, enjoy exclusive perks, plus maintain elite status to get even more out of your HHonors experiences. No blackout dates, no caps and no expiration dates as long as you’re a Cardmember.
Earn Hilton HHonors Bonus Points on every purchase:
• Earn 9 HHonors Bonus Points for every dollar spent at a participating hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio of brands.
• Earn 6 HHonors Bonus Points for every dollar spent on gas, groceries, drugstores, internet service providers, home & wireless phone service.
• Earn 3 HHonors Bonus Points for every dollar spent elsewhere.
Additional features:
• Receive HHonors Gold Elite Status as long as you’re a Cardmember and enjoy benefits including upgrades to preferred rooms, complimentary breakfast, and free high speed internet access. • Upgrade to HHonors Diamond Elite Status when you spend $40,000 in a calendar year and enjoy all the benefits of Gold Elite Status plus guaranteed reservations at sold out hotels, executive lounge access and 1,000 HHonors Bonus Points per stay.
• Complimentary Priority Pass membership ($99 value) which grants you access to over 600 airport lounges around the world regardless of your choice of airline.
• Get your tickets first with pre-sale access to concerts, sporting events, Broadway shows and more.
• Your Card gives you the option to carry a balance at a competitive interest rate. So, whether you’re managing your monthly expenses or making a large purchase, you’ll have the flexibility you need while continuing to earn the rewards you love.
In addition to these benefits, you can rely on the services that come with American Express membership, including protection for your purchases, car rental loss & damage insurance, extended warranty coverage and the 24/7 support of customer service professionals to help you.
Annual fee: $95

not sure where you saw this but the AX site still shows the one year gold status and $75 for the surpass card.

javacodeguy Jul 27, 2012 11:36 am

Originally Posted by oneeyejack (Post 19012869)
not sure where you saw this but the AX site still shows the one year gold status and $75 for the surpass card.

particlemn said they took a survey asking if they would interested in a new version with those features and annual fee.