FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card (2012 - 2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1740198-citi-hilton-hhonors-reserve-card-2012-2015-a.html)

Kay_nyc Jul 23, 2012 11:40 am

Is this the card the frugal travel guys was hinting at?

Stoughton Jul 23, 2012 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc (Post 18986279)
Is this the card the frugal travel guys was hinting at?

I didn't see it mentioned on his blog yet

mtbmtb01 Jul 23, 2012 12:50 pm

would be a good one to churn if the annual fee was waived.
i'm already a gold member, any chance of them waiving the fee?

Stoughton Jul 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by mtbmtb01 (Post 18986773)
would be a good one to churn if the annual fee was waived.
i'm already a gold member, any chance of them waiving the fee?

No. Citi doesn't care if you're gold or not

mtbmtb01 Jul 23, 2012 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Majikow (Post 18985376)
I did hear the SPG bonus is going up to 30k though, so I'll stick it out for that.

where did you hear that and when will it happen? been waiting on that.

jonnydoe1234 Jul 23, 2012 1:02 pm

Lack of complete flexibility for two free nights is a big negative (have to use on a weekend and within one year) -- would be much better to have 100K points, as is the case with the Virgin card. I guess this gets you gold status, but that's not worth much to me.

Majikow Jul 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by mtbmtb01 (Post 18986799)
where did you hear that and when will it happen? been waiting on that.

Saw it on the Frequent Miler blog:

Note that the SPG card will soon increase the signup bonus to 30K so you may want to wait a week or two for that one.
Here

tyfabes Jul 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Based on all the hype, this card sure seems like a big letdown to me. I won't bother including this in my next churn.

sdsearch Jul 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by oneeyejack (Post 18984550)
is it chip and pin or chip and sign?

All Citi cards so far are only chip-and-signature, per the EMV sticky in the Credit Cards forum.

The_Wrath_of_Khan Jul 23, 2012 6:14 pm

I think this card is a step in the right direction and I plan to get it as soon as possible. The two things that matter to me are the no FOREX fees and the $40k spend for Diamond.

I think it's stupid that you don't get a free night on your anniversary. I think this offer would be more aspirational and an 'SPG killer' if it offered you one night every $10k spend at any Hilton property. I think the weekend only nights are also a stupid cop out.

I'm glad that this isn't an AMEX card as they're basically in a tie for the worst customer service on earth.

NauticalWheeler Jul 23, 2012 6:50 pm

This is a good card for me. I have the (grandfathered) Travelcity card which grants me 4% on all of my spend. I was torn between it and the Amex Surpass since I value gold status. On my last 2-day trip to New York, I saved $80 on breakfast costs and was granted a 3:30 late checkout due to my gold status.

Now I can shift the majority of my non-Hilton spend to the Travelocity card and maintain Gold status for $95 per year.

A great deal for me...I will simply downgrade the Amex to the no-fee version and only use if for the bonus categories and Axon awards.

IkeEsq Jul 23, 2012 6:51 pm

I think what bothers me most is that the bonus is nights and not points. I would prefer the flexibility of points, especially if the free nights are a Standard Room, which some places don't have in abundance.

If you are a normal traveler (e.g. not FT-er) who likes Hilton, this could be a decent card. A couple of years ago I might have liked the sound of it, although the fee would likely not have been welcome.

TheAJ Jul 23, 2012 7:07 pm

can we use the two browser trick lol

ma91pmh Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by TheAJ (Post 18988975)
can we use the two browser trick lol

probably :D

Happy Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq (Post 18988894)
I think what bothers me most is that the bonus is nights and not points. I would prefer the flexibility of points, especially if the free nights are a Standard Room, which some places don't have in abundance.

If you are a normal traveler (e.g. not FT-er) who likes Hilton, this could be a decent card. A couple of years ago I might have liked the sound of it, although the fee would likely not have been welcome.

Me think there would be a lot of frustrating customers when they try to use their free night certs at high value properties. It is not uncommon many Hilton high value properties use the trick of room classification to essentially block out award night redemption or jack up the points required to an insane level. This is worse than Marriott's cap on Cat 5 when all high value properties are Cap 6 or 7, because Marriott at least does not limit it to weekend!