Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cjw2001
FAQ on the Costco Anywhere Visa card: Your Costco Credit Card Account is Being Replaced by Citi

Transition date was June 20, 2016.

- 4% back on gas (up to $7k per year) (Gas at supermarket branded gas stations and warehouse gas stations other than Costco does not qualify.)
- 3% back on travel & dining
- 2% back at Costco and Costco.com
- 1% back elsewhere

From the Citi Costco Site:
Will my Costco Anywhere Card have foreign purchase transaction fees?
Yes. A fee of 3% of the amount of the transaction in US Dollars will be applied to purchases made in a currency other than US Dollars.
There are no foreign transaction fees for purchases made at Costco warehouses worldwide when you pay with your new Costco Anywhere Card.
Please note: not all international Costco warehouse locations accept Visa cards.

Announced 3/1/2018: There will be no foreign purchase transaction fees.

Extended warranty benefit removed for purchases after January 21, 2023.
Print Wikipost

Details on new Citi Costco VISA.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Boraxo
It's inexcusable given that Citi offers a double-cash back card (1%+1%) but will only provide 1% on the Costco card, with no other perks to compensate.

They must think Costco shoppers are dumbkopfs.
And the citi double cash rewards can be redeemed monthly as soon as the statement closes and be direct deposited into a bank account within a couple days unlike this card that will only give you earned rewards once a year and involves waiting on a paper check and taking it to Costco to cash.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
It's inexcusable given that Citi offers a double-cash back card (1%+1%) but will only provide 1% on the Costco card, with no other perks to compensate.

And the citi double cash rewards can be redeemed monthly as soon as the statement closes and be direct deposited into a bank account within a couple days unlike this card that will only give you earned rewards once a year and involves waiting on a paper check and taking it to Costco to cash.
That is the power of affiliate marketing.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:37 am

The problem may be that from what I have read, on Costco purchases the swipe fee that Citi gets is zero.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by bigbuy
The problem may be that from what I have read, on Costco purchases the swipe fee that Citi gets is zero.
That's my understanding as well (or very close to zero) which is why it would make sense that there is no bonus on Costco purchases, and supposedly why the partnership ended in the first place. Each time a customer swipes at Costco, apparently AMEX takes/Citi will take a loss.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:24 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by garykung
Don't expect anything. The best promotion@Costco I have ever seen was $50 statement credit.

+1 Depending on the refilling pattern, somehow Citi Double Cash can do better than the new Citi Costco Visa.

No. It is not. It is the same.

It is apparent that Costco, not Citi, designs the credit card products.
Sorry, I meant that it's better because its a Visa (more widely accepted).
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While it's certainly a for-profit business, I usually feel that Costco doesn't do business that's so contrary to the interests of its customers/members.

This card is really not in the best interests of its patrons.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by NDN
Sorry, I meant that it's better because its a Visa (more widely accepted).
Actually, it is worse than you think - The card lost way before its initial inception.

I think it is safe to say almost everyone has at least a Visa card (credit/debit). On that basis, one no longer needs a Citi Costco Visa to shop in Costco exclusively.

On the other hand, many people applied for TrueEarning simply because of Costco exclusively. Those people are, not surprisingly, first-time AMEX cardmembers.

Originally Posted by josephstern
While it's certainly a for-profit business, I usually feel that Costco doesn't do business that's so contrary to the interests of its customers/members.
Well...since we will never know the negotiation between AMEX and Costco, it will be difficult to say that Costco's decision is not the best interest of its customers/members.

+1
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:47 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by garykung
Actually, it is worse than you think - The card lost way before its initial inception.

I think it is safe to say almost everyone has at least a Visa card (credit/debit). On that basis, one no longer needs a Citi Costco Visa to shop in Costco exclusively.

On the other hand, many people applied for TrueEarning simply because of Costco exclusively. Those people are, not surprisingly, first-time AMEX cardmembers.

Well...since we will never know the negotiation between AMEX and Costco, it will be difficult to say that Costco's decision is not the best interest of its customers/members.

+1
I agree. It's pretty bad as a card. It is most suitable for those who just want a single credit card and to shop at Costco. I got the TrueEarnings card because I didn't want to use my other Amex (Membership Rewards) for Costco purchases. Now, i will be quite happy buying things with a Visa that isn't Costco.

Will my Amex be transitioned to a Citi Visa?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think they'll get quite a few sign-ups. Even though these people basically all already have Visas.

There's a whole subset of people who basically believe: if Costco has it, it has to be a good deal. So they'll take it on faith that if Costco is presenting them with a co-branded credit card, it's the best card for them.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Because ... ?
because this co-branded card isn't really worth having.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by runb4fun
because this co-branded card isn't really worth having.
You are telling us your conclusion, but not your reasons.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:09 pm

If I get this new Citi card, and the only thing I use for is the 3% rebate on gasoline, that is not a bad deal. Everywhere I travel, Costco has the least expensive gas in town, and another 3% discount is nice. (I will use my other Visa cards for everything else.)

What is not to like about that?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I think they'll get quite a few sign-ups. Even though these people basically all already have Visas.

There's a whole subset of people who basically believe: if Costco has it, it has to be a good deal. So they'll take it on faith that if Costco is presenting them with a co-branded credit card, it's the best card for them.
Agree with you. When you can get a no annual fee card that provides much of the same benefit, but there will be lots of people that think it's good because Costco's name is on it, also there will probably be a bunch of people who think you need this exact Visa to shop at Costco and get it regardless of the benefits (even though it's a completely wrong assumption).

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
If I get this new Citi card, and the only thing I use for is the 3% rebate on gasoline, that is not a bad deal. Everywhere I travel, Costco has the least expensive gas in town, and another 3% discount is nice. (I will use my other Visa cards for everything else.)

What is not to like about that?
For you, that sounds good. In my area Costco and Sams are usually within a couple cents of each other on gas, and the Costco gas station at mine is usually a zoo where you have to wait in line. I'll continue to use my Citi Premier at Sams where I get 3x points and no line.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
For you, that sounds good. In my area Costco and Sams are usually within a couple cents of each other on gas, and the Costco gas station at mine is usually a zoo where you have to wait in line. I'll continue to use my Citi Premier at Sams where I get 3x points and no line.
I have the same issue with the Costco here. Always a long line. Even if Costco was the best deal for gas for me, it isn't worth waiting in the long line.

When using my Kroger fuel points at shell I find their gas prices to be lower than Costco. And discover and Chase have gas stations as a 5% quarterly bonus category a lot and I just stock up on shell cards then.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Costco takes SMGC, or Staples, OD, GC, purchased with INK, or SPG Cards...

Any refunds from Citi Costco cards, can be credited to any other VISA Card desired...

To me this opens many doors, still get the rebate with business membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.