Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cjw2001
FAQ on the Costco Anywhere Visa card: Your Costco Credit Card Account is Being Replaced by Citi

Transition date was June 20, 2016.

- 4% back on gas (up to $7k per year) (Gas at supermarket branded gas stations and warehouse gas stations other than Costco does not qualify.)
- 3% back on travel & dining
- 2% back at Costco and Costco.com
- 1% back elsewhere

From the Citi Costco Site:
Will my Costco Anywhere Card have foreign purchase transaction fees?
Yes. A fee of 3% of the amount of the transaction in US Dollars will be applied to purchases made in a currency other than US Dollars.
There are no foreign transaction fees for purchases made at Costco warehouses worldwide when you pay with your new Costco Anywhere Card.
Please note: not all international Costco warehouse locations accept Visa cards.

Announced 3/1/2018: There will be no foreign purchase transaction fees.

Extended warranty benefit removed for purchases after January 21, 2023.
Print Wikipost

Details on new Citi Costco VISA.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I linked Anywhere fine to my Citi online account already having an AA MC.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Got the card in the mail while I was away from home. Opened the package, and the card has the RFID/NFC chip in it

It took me all of 2 minutes to download an app on my phone, scan the card with the phone, and have the number of the card and expiration date on the phone's display.

I then called Citi and asked for a card without the RFID chip in it (after waiting on hold for 30 minutes at midnight) and was told that they don't come without RFID chips. Great, so anyone with a high gain antenna can get your card number and the expiration date from 10 feet or more away. I ended up drilling a hole in the card through the antenna area, to permanently disable the RFID chip by depriving it of power.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:02 am

Thied 4 times to link the Costco card. Hours on hold, then dropped line. Online chat can't help. I guess this POS goes in the lock-box, not in the wallet.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I haven't used my card yet, but I had no issues activating my card and linking it to my existing Citi card.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by Boraxo
(Hat Tip to Doctor of Credit)
Starting in April 2016, Costco will start a new partnership with Visa and Citi; only Visa credit cards will be allowed at the warehouse and Citi will issue a Costco co-branded credit card under the Visa network.
Citi Cards HAMMERED in News Media on Costco Card:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/24/bu...lems.html?_r=0

"Turns out, quite a few of them didn’t get their cards. Or they’re having trouble setting up online access to their new accounts at Citi. And they’re waiting exasperatingly long times to get through to customer service at Citi.

Frustrated Costco members took to social media this week, venting their frustrations on Costco’s Facebook page and Citi’s Twitter feed. Some wrote of being on hold with Citi for up to an hour and a few threatened to cancel their Costco memberships.

“Never received my new card and the last 5 times I called, including twice today, I was on hold for almost 30 minutes before being hung up on because of ‘high call volume,’” a Costco member wrote on Costco’s Facebook page. “I’m not even able to log in to my account to check for any errors. Off to a horrible start with Citi.”

More Costco stories
Costco switches credit cards, ending Amex ties
Strong growth in Costco members drives profit surprise
Costco tops estimates for profit, but sales growth lags
6 things Costco shoppers need to know before new credit cards arrive
Costco gets creative to meet shoppers’ huge appetite for organics
Costco raising starting wage for entry-level workers
Another wrote: “I have also not received my New Citi Visa card. I have tried calling Citi and can’t get through because I am placed on hold for 50 minutes and finally gave up.”
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
Got the card in the mail while I was away from home. Opened the package, and the card has the RFID/NFC chip in it

It took me all of 2 minutes to download an app on my phone, scan the card with the phone, and have the number of the card and expiration date on the phone's display.

I then called Citi and asked for a card without the RFID chip in it (after waiting on hold for 30 minutes at midnight) and was told that they don't come without RFID chips. Great, so anyone with a high gain antenna can get your card number and the expiration date from 10 feet or more away. I ended up drilling a hole in the card through the antenna area, to permanently disable the RFID chip by depriving it of power.
You might be fighting a losing battle here trying to get a credit card without NFC. Even if you can get one now, the next one might have it. Why don't you instead just buy a wallet with RFID shielding (or fashion one yourself). You can't control the credit card companies, but at least you can control your wallet.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Or, just use these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/22123874?w...794072&veh=sem
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ftweb
You might be fighting a losing battle here trying to get a credit card without NFC. Even if you can get one now, the next one might have it. Why don't you instead just buy a wallet with RFID shielding (or fashion one yourself). You can't control the credit card companies, but at least you can control your wallet.
Because I should not have to. Am I supposed to keep the card in the sleeve at all times? How do I even use it if it's always in the sleeve? The moment I take it out of the sleeve, the number can be captured by someone standing nearby with a high gain antenna.

Reducing the amount of time the number could be captured is NOT solving the problem. You solve the problem by implementing encryption properly, so that the card number can never be obtained in plaintext by an unauthorized device. It should be encrypted all the way back to the bank's servers. Given that the chip IS powered, it should be able to receive a signal and then respond to a RSA challenge. If they can't do RSA or some secure form of communication, this crap should not be allowed on our cards. It opens up so many attack vectors it's not even funny.

I am really close to just cancelling this card if Citi is not going to give me one without RFID eventually.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Is this really a concern? Someone standing by with a high gained antennae trying to get your information? I'm not concerned with that kinda stuff, charges can be disputed and such. I would go crazy worrying about that.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
The little golden metallic square on your credit card does not indicate RFID.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
The little golden metallic square on your credit card does not indicate RFID.
No, but the wave symbol on the back does:

Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
I thought that the Citi Visa card took effect on June 20th. Today I linked it to my Citi account online and saw that I owed over $700 already. It seems that they have transferred my AMEX Costco balance from the last statement to this card. That's confusing since I expected to have charges on this card only after June 20th.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi
I thought that the Citi Visa card took effect on June 20th. Today I linked it to my Citi account online and saw that I owed over $700 already. It seems that they have transferred my AMEX Costco balance from the last statement to this card. That's confusing since I expected to have charges on this card only after June 20th.
Look at the seventh entry in the General FAQs - it clearly states that the balance on the True Earnings Amex would be transferred to the Citi card:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rogram-update/
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by texasguy77
Is this really a concern? Someone standing by with a high gained antennae trying to get your information? I'm not concerned with that kinda stuff, charges can be disputed and such. I would go crazy worrying about that.
Have you ever had a card compromised? Sometimes, the most unnerving thing is not knowing how it got compromised, and even though you generally won't have to pay, it means changing the number in all of the accounts where you've used it, for example, for automatic payments. It's a pain.

This was known to be a problem 5 years ago, and even after Target and other breaches, the banking industry has done nothing to fix the problem. Think about it: Citi has put an EMV chip into this card for more secure transactions, and at the same time, they've also put a chip into the card that makes it literally broadcast its number to anyone nearby, with no encryption, using a technology that was known to be insecure 5+ years ago.

Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
haven't received my new card yet. AMEX removed my old card from my account. When I call the dedicated number for the new card i cant get ahold of anybody. how do i pay my frickin' bill?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.