Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Funding CitiGold (or other) account with credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAD_flyer
Citi No Longer Allows Funding New Checking Accounts by CC as of 08-Feb-2016. Below information is historic.

1-800-745-1534 TO FUND

Cards that have been reported to NOT WORK

CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard - Will not load and loads as cash

Capital One

Barclay Priceline

Chase

Cards that have been report to WORK

Barclay Aviator

Citi AAdvantage

Citi Thank You Premier

BofA Travel card

BofA Alaska
Print Wikipost

Funding CitiGold (or other) account with credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by googs185
...you can call in to get a temporary credit limit increase for a larger purchase.
All MasterCard World, World Elite and VISA Signature cards have a No Preset Spending Limit feature which permits charges to exceed the revolving credit limit.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:46 am

I haven't heard anything of this before! But I do know you can call in to get a temporary credit limit increase for a larger purchase.

A quick question: what did you set your CA limit to? Is it the business card? Mine ran as a CA for only $8000. And you did this on 8/13?
This is all my wife's account and card, so she gets the alerts. I just asked her, and now I see she got an alert yesterday early morning that a charge put her over CL. It doesn't say the charge was canceled or declined, though. I think I will wait a few days before calling in; maybe we'll get the 30k. I'm going to put in a payment for $15k now, though.

CA is set at $200. BofA said they couldn't to 0. It's the personal card. All this was on Thursday, 8/13.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by mia
All MasterCard World, World Elite and VISA Signature cards have a No Preset Spending Limit feature which permits charges to exceed the revolving credit limit.
The BofA is a Visa Signature. Do I have to call in or go online to set feature? What's the point of a CL if we can exceed it at will?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by mia
My Alaska Airlines BoA Business card does not say Visa Signature. It just says Visa. Could this be the issue?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:58 am
mia

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
What's the point of a CL if we can exceed it at will?
The limit is the amount of the revolving line of credit. You can exceed it, but the overage must be paid in full by the due date. The revolving amount can be paid over time, with interest.

No Preset Spending Limit does not mean unlimited spending. There is still an (unspecified) maximum amount.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:22 pm

A quick question: what did you set your CA limit to? Is it the business card? Mine ran as a CA for only $8000. And you did this on 8/13?
I just looked at my wife's BofA account again. The CA limit is set to $200 (again, CSR said that's the lowest it could go) and now CA available is 0. Does that mean that BofA charged the first $200 as CA and the remaining $14,800 at a purchase? I thought transactions had to be either/or? If the $200 is a cash advance, how much in fees are we looking at? $10 or so?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:35 pm
mia

... The CA limit is set to $200 (again, CSR said that's the lowest it could go) and now CA available is 0.
This is what I would expect if the card balance exceeds the revolving limit, because the Cash Advance limit is a portion of the $15,000 revolving limit.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by mia

This is what I would expect if the card balance exceeds the revolving limit, because the Cash Advance limit is a portion of the $15,000 revolving limit.
I see, makes sense.

So I'll be charged CA fees? So any time you exceed CL and have a CA limit higher than 0, you have some CA?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:55 pm
mia

So I'll be charged CA fees?
I expect not. The funds available for a Cash Advance are a subset of the revolving credit limit. That portion of the limit may also be used for purchases.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:32 pm

I called Barclays to ask if a $100,000 purchase would be allowed, they said "no preset spending limit" really means only 60% above your credit limit.

It's pretty misleading marketing.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:21 pm
mia

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
... really means only 60% above your credit limit..
Other issuers have different implementations, and the headspace may not be the same for all Barclays customers. How is it misleading? No card, from any issuer, allows unlimited spending.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by dannyboy888
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew the approximate time from the day of the fax that they charge the cc?

From what I've read, it seems like one day from the time you apply just to get your account into the system. Then the cc's are all charged in a batch early the next day. So does 2 days sound about right?

From the research I've done online, Barclays cards seem to work well because they are Mastercard(Arrival, Aviator and Lufthansa). For Citi, I've seen a lot of reports of Mastercard also working well. (Double Cash, AA Executive, AA Plat, Prestige).
For Citi, I haven't seen a lot of data points on Visa so I'm not exactly sure if it works.

I still believe for Citi and Barclays the key is to make sure it's a Mastercard.

Update: My cc just got charged two days after I faxed in the form.

Hi, did you use a citi AA exec card to fund the citigold checking? I see that citi codes account funding on some cards as CA, is it the same for citi aa exec MasterCard too? What should I mention on the form to be faxed, for citi to not process it as CA but a charge? Thx in advance.

Last edited by vamsivikram; Aug 18, 2015 at 1:08 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:28 am

citi DC posted as a purchase.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
I tried to fund a new account with a Citi AA Business MC for an amount above my CA limit, but below my credit limit. It was declined and the credit card rep insisted it was coded as a cash advance, which is why it was declined. He said I couldn't notate my account to allow the purchase since it exceeded my CA limit. Am I out of luck here or is there something magical I can say to them? Is it only personal Citi mastercards that post as a purchase?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by micned
I tried to fund a new account with a Citi AA Business MC for an amount above my CA limit, but below my credit limit. It was declined and the credit card rep insisted it was coded as a cash advance, which is why it was declined. He said I couldn't notate my account to allow the purchase since it exceeded my CA limit. Am I out of luck here or is there something magical I can say to them? Is it only personal Citi mastercards that post as a purchase?

With which bank is the new account, that you tried funding from your Citi AA business card? It should work if it's a citigold checking per other datapoints I have seen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.