Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ninim2200
Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes:
  • 50K TYP for $4K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?
    No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.
    Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
    No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.
    What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
    Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
    • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
    • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
    • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
    Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant’s premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.
    You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
    What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard [2015-2017]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by starbuk
Thanks for replies Happy et al. I didn't see consistent/valuable retention offers for this card. The interpretation of my question is correct - although it's not the shortest timeline, is it really worth the $95 annual fee to just get an app in 1 month, 2 months, etc (however long it takes to meet the minimum spend) early?

For me the answer is to hold onto the card because I don't have a travel partner that I want to transfer to and the points expire. In fact, I got the card to help with hotel costs (similar to Barclay Arrival+) so looks like I may have to hold onto the card. If I had a partner in mind I would transfer and close the account to avoid the fee.
I'm keeping the card, as many of the bonus categories are worth it to me. 3X on gas, as well as lots of travel expenses, like airport parking, etc. 2X on dining and entertainment. I'm even getting 2X on my winery club membership and wine purchases as an entertainment expense.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I'm keeping the card, as many of the bonus categories are worth it to me. 3X on gas, as well as lots of travel expenses, like airport parking, etc. 2X on dining and entertainment. I'm even getting 2X on my winery club membership and wine purchases as an entertainment expense.
Nice. I don't use any card for spend outside of reaching a min spend target, so category bonuses don't really matter to me. The one exception is Chase Freedom when shopping at Amazon during the holidays for the 5% cash back, and even that doesn't happen sometimes.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:14 am

I don't know if I will want to hold on to this card either when my AF hit next year. I got the card back in sept, met my spending requirement and now waiting for the point to post. The 3x points on gas is nice but beside that I'm not using this card for anything else, am I missing something? Should I apply for another citi card to maximise the points?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: DL, Marriott
To each their own. I use this card for all of my purchases since the multipliers hit everything I spend on, except groceries (which I plan to try and get a Prestige retention offer for soon).
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Eonflux
I don't know if I will want to hold on to this card either when my AF hit next year. I got the card back in sept, met my spending requirement and now waiting for the point to post. The 3x points on gas is nice but beside that I'm not using this card for anything else, am I missing something? Should I apply for another citi card to maximise the points?
Do you travel at all? Because there is a long list of "travel" charges that count for 3X. Airport parking, taxis, the list goes on and on. Lots of 2X as well, not just dining, but entertainment also includes bars, even my wine club purchases.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by Eonflux
95% of the $ I spend is to meet minimum spend requirements. Forget about 3x points or even 5x points. Get new cards and go for new spending bonuses.

I am keeping this card after getting the points only because I do not have something to spend the TYP on and I have to wait until I do. But then I will have to decide if it's worth it to restart the 18 month clock or just pay the year 1 AF.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:57 pm

hello....is buying gift cards from the same gas merchant going to be a problem ? has citi closed any of the cards because of it.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Do you travel at all? Because there is a long list of "travel" charges that count for 3X. Airport parking, taxis, the list goes on and on. Lots of 2X as well, not just dining, but entertainment also includes bars, even my wine club purchases.
I only travel once for work this year but I planned on traveling a few time in 2016. Still not sure how much I will spend, maybe I'll try the prestige card to get the benefits and cancel this one.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
hello....is buying gift cards from the same gas merchant going to be a problem ? has citi closed any of the cards because of it.
depends on how much you're buying. you'll be fine with a few $k a mo. probably but over that, who knows what will trigger citi review. I buy about $1.5k a mo of gas gift cards to load to Serve. no problems yet. but citi has had a history of huge shut downs. YMMV
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Quick question:

For my Chase INK card, they breakdown each charge and show exactly how many points I get per charge and what spending category it falls within.

I just received my first statement for my Citi Premier card. I cannot find anywhere online where it shows this...is there a way to see what category each charge falls under and how many pts I received for each charge?

It lists a generic category next to each charge, but Citi may interpret that different then myself. The entertainment category seems a bit vague...
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by odin99
citi has had a history of huge shut downs.
Really? Any recent data points on that?

Those of us who used to get an EXEC card, do the $10K min spnd in 2 days at CVS, then wait 8 days and do the same thing over again, wait 65 days and repeat, never had a problem.

Last Spring I got a Prestige with an in branch offer, which gave me 60K points after $7500 in min spnd. I did all of that in a couple of months, mostly with RLs and VGCs. Not a peep from Citi. And they were happy to give me a Premier a few months later.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by alrvd83
Quick question:

For my Chase INK card, they breakdown each charge and show exactly how many points I get per charge and what spending category it falls within.

I just received my first statement for my Citi Premier card. I cannot find anywhere online where it shows this...is there a way to see what category each charge falls under and how many pts I received for each charge?
Quick answer: read the wiki at the top of this page.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by odin99
depends on how much you're buying. you'll be fine with a few $k a mo. probably but over that, who knows what will trigger citi review. I buy about $1.5k a mo of gas gift cards to load to Serve. no problems yet. but citi has had a history of huge shut downs. YMMV

Yeah man....iam also planning to do the same but around 2500 $ per statement cycle....

Its tough to beat 3.75 % back on this card .......so becoming greedy.

i think main trigger might be...accumulation of thank you point.............earn and burn should be the strategy

Last edited by mia; Nov 14, 2015 at 8:27 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by beltway
Quick answer: read the wiki at the top of this page.
Like I mentioned in my post, Chase lists how many pts that each charge received. I know the wiki states in detail what each category is but I would still like to know that Citi interprets it CORRECTLY That's all...

I've even had chase count charges incorrectly on accident and the only way I caught them was that they list each charge and the amount of pts that it receives.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by alrvd83
Like I mentioned in my post, Chase lists how many pts that each charge received. I know the wiki states in detail what each category is but I would still like to know that Citi interprets it CORRECTLY That's all...

I've even had chase count charges incorrectly on accident and the only way I caught them was that they list each charge and the amount of pts that it receives.
Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.

No, means no. Not sure what other response you're looking for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.