Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Credit Card Reconsideration Reports [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Credit Card Reconsideration Reports [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:21 pm

I applied for a CitiAA Business card today- have an existing HH Reserve card (on which I put $40,000 last year) and a Prestige card (minimal spend but still a few thousand last year). I have only ever had one other Citi card, an AA personal card that I cancelled a month or so ago.

Immediate denial and rep unable to tell me anything until I get my letter.

Maybe I look like a churner to their systems but I've also put a lot of spend on their cards.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by btk2333
I applied for a CitiAA Business card today- have an existing HH Reserve card (on which I put $40,000 last year) and a Prestige card (minimal spend but still a few thousand last year). I have only ever had one other Citi card, an AA personal card that I cancelled a month or so ago.

Immediate denial and rep unable to tell me anything until I get my letter.

Maybe I look like a churner to their systems but I've also put a lot of spend on their cards.
Followed up a week later and the denial letter said my report was blank- they never indicated what the problem was but I was approved immediately on the phone- one of the more bizarre experiences I've had
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Which number did you call for recon after receiving your letter?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by morphogencc
Which number did you call for recon after receiving your letter?
1-800-763-9795

I just googled Citi Business recon phone number
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:43 pm

So I applied AA 60K personal card and got pending message. Called recon line and told me to wait for the decision, nothing they can do on their end?!? They have all my information but need more time to review my application. I have three active Citi cards now.

This sounds very odd to me as I thought recon line can review the application and made a decision through the phone. This has never happened to me so I am asking anyone has the similar experience? does this mean higher possibility on denying?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:29 pm

I got denied due to “too many credit inquiries on Equifax and lack of installment accounts” for the Citi Premier card.

Is this type of denial usually reversible on recon or is it not worth a recon?

Old May 1, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by ST_Hawaii
I got denied due to “too many credit inquiries on Equifax and lack of installment accounts” for the Citi Premier card.

Interested here too. I just got declined for the Premier for the same thing. Score was 793. Not seeing a lot of success on recon. Any recent data points?

Last edited by Dsnow0819; May 1, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Old May 20, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dsnow0819
Interested here too. I just got declined for the Premier for the same thing. Score was 793. Not seeing a lot of success on recon. Any recent data points?
Also denied for the same reasons with a score of 761. Only three inquiries in last 6 months, and most recent card from Citi was AA card opened in March. Any chance in getting recon'ed successfully?

I am 18/24 and Citi is the only bank I have been flat out denied for in the past, even after contacting the executive office...
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:40 am

I applied for the premier card. Have a couple aa that I canceled a few months ago. Currently have the 2% w them. Have Stellar credit 800+. Got a pending decision. Analyst wanted me to send paystub/w2. Is this new w Citi or just I listed my income as too high? I don't make that much <$200k salary. Never had a request for paystub aside from refinancing/mortgage. Very unusual Imo.

TBD.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Saw the 60k bonus, decided to sign up for it online.
Immediate denial, no reason stated.

Called recon via the regular customer service line (1-888-201-4523) and got routed to Recon.
CSR wasn't helpful, stated denial was due to too many recent inquires on Experian.
Told me to wait for the letter and apply 6 months later.
**Tip never call this line, almost always you get routed to the call center in the Philippines, and their reps always feed you inaccurate and useless info.

HUCA, 2nd attempt called 1-800-695-5171, direct call routed to Recon, no wait time.
A domestic rep answered, everything went pleasant until he spit out the same reason as the 1st rep. And also saying I do not have enough installment payments.
I tried to wiggle my way in asking for more explanation what is the inquiry limit that Citi has on their applications.
He kept repeating the system generated the reason, and there's nothing he can do on his end until I receive the letter to call back again.
This is where I realized he wasn't interested to help me, when he kept cutting me off by asking anything else I can help you with.
Before I even ended my sentence saying I guess not.. he actually HUNG UP on me.. Just wow.
I'm really baffled at how Citi really doesn't care about their customer service anymore..

For what's worth, I applied for a bis AA plat on 7/18, so I think it's past 8/65 rule
My only citi card is a TY preferred, grandfathered from the Forward card earlier this year, since they closed my Citi Hilton card without giving me the option to sign up for another card..
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
.... not have enough installment payments.
.. .....
Do you have a one-dimensional credit history with many cards, but no (recent) auto loan or mortgage history?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia
Do you have a one-dimensional credit history with many cards, but no (recent) auto loan or mortgage history?
My experian pulled 2 soft pull in the last 6 months.. Live in NYC. So no loan on cars, am renting so no mortgage history.
I guess, in the eyes of CITI it looks one-dimensional..
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
.... in the eyes of CITI it looks one-dimensional..
Credit scoring is not prescriptive. FICO is not saying , "This is what a responsible person should do." Credit scoring is predictive. FICO is saying, "People with this credit profile have a higher/lower probability of default." If a certain behavior is statistically associated with higher risk it works against you, even if you have excellent reasons for that behavior. Mass market card issuers are blind to individual circumstances. Each of us is an instance of a type, nothing more.
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Credit scoring is not prescriptive. FICO is not saying , "This is what a responsible person should do." Credit scoring is predictive. FICO is saying, "People with this credit profile have a higher/lower probability of default." If a certain behavior is statistically associated with higher risk it works against you, even if you have excellent reasons for that behavior. Mass market card issuers are blind to individual circumstances. Each of us is an instance of a type, nothing more.
Well, yes but... An intelligent analysis of the data would reveal the fact that New Yorkers generally don't have cars or mortgages, so they would adjust based on address. It's a question of slicing the data more ways. FICO is too lazy to do that; it sets a few arbitrary and unsophisticated criteria and rates people based on those. We then have to figure out how to game those criteria. As they say, there are lies, damn lies and statistics...
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ST_Hawaii

How many inquiries on EQ? How many is too many? What is a installment loan? I don't have any debt at the moment. No car loans or mortgages. Will that count against me? I'm thinking whether I should call Citi recon or not as I was denied, but I haven't received the letter yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.