Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by virmaior
Sorry, I was unclear on that.

3/18 My accounts were closed by citi [TYP disappearing w/in 2 days]
3/26 I filed my complaint with the CFPB [citi has 15 days to respond]
4/10 Citi requests a 60 day extension
4/22 Citi responds by citing T&C of credit card and T&C of TY

But my complaint was that the T&C are legally invalid and constitute enrichment by fraud -- not that I did not understand the T&C. So that's why I said non-response.

4/23 I informed the CFPB complaint system that I dispute the validity of citi's resposne
4/23 CFPB auto-responder explains that this is the end of what the CFPB can do.

In other words, CFPB is only valuable if they get a stack ton of complaints. Otherwise, there's no one looking at what is written and how it responds. Between now and then, I've been too busy to look further. My total cost in lost earned points is somewhere around $1200 to $1500 valuing TYP at 1 penny/point as their advertising does (or 1.33 pennies / point when I redeem from travel).
Thank you for posting this.

This means everyone who is adversely affected should file.

I also urge you to call CFPB to follow up on this.

Plus when the FTer's Petition is up for signature, do go there and put in your comments on how Citi treated your complaint. (The T&Cs are overly in favor of the bank - terminates relationship at any time without providing any specific reason.)
Old May 29, 2013, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, in a nutshell, that's what "our case" is.

Obviously, Citi's customers started using the Preferred card in a way that Citi did not anticipate. Of course, had they used a bit more intelligence, they should have anticipated this usage. After all, they were specifically INCENTIVIZING Preferred cardholders to spend as much as they could at gas stations, groceries and pharmacies. It was basically a "come on" to then profit on the customers' other spending.

The appropriate response to this "surprise" on Citi's part is not to go nuclear on its customers. All they did was what Citi encouraged them to do. Citi could have simply clarified and/or modified the terms of the promotion -- and not treat its cardholders and customers as crooks.
perfectly stated!! To me it is bait & switch all over again.

Originally Posted by lacuadra
I dont think that is correct. Visa, MC and AMEX have specific % that they charge the merchants. I think AMEX has the highest % and that is why some of them try not to accept it. Card type (rewards vs non-rew) has nothing to do with it. It is more like a clearing house charge.

I have a question for the high spenders. If you buy say 20k a month, do you have a high credit limit or 1) do you pay once a month or 2) several times a month?
CCs that are coded as REWARDS cards like the TYP would be, charge a merchant a lot more in % rates per transaction. That is a known fact. Ask any store--or better yet, get a phone swiper from Intuit or pay anywhere and ask them about their rates and they will tell you. (dont get those by the way, they stink for other reasons for another discussion)

EDIT>>> to answer the second part. I spent, paid, spent, paid, spent, paid... etc. Would or could come up against my CL but I always paid it off several times in a statement period and then just spent up to it again. My theory now is that it's not really about what we BOUGHT, but how many points we ended up having in our coffers! Add this to ANY infraction as seen by citi, OR the check cashing thing, and BOOM yer out! As well, there COULD be something about the link to the preferred card and how they didnt want any of us around who actually got one of those cards. Yes, they really should have handled it all much differently.

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Any rewards card from every CC issuer costs retailers more to process; CITI is not alone in this regard
same as above. exactly!
Old May 29, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: All of the Above
My biz takes lots of different CCs each month. My statement breaks down the type of CC into 20+ categories, all of which charge a similar, but different rate. Prepaids are the lowest rate, while top tier AmExs are the highest. They most certainly charge different percentages.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by DavidAL
My biz takes lots of different CCs each month. My statement breaks down the type of CC into 20+ categories, all of which charge a similar, but different rate. Prepaids are the lowest rate, while top tier AmExs are the highest. They most certainly charge different percentages.
They charge you different rates, but this does not mean this is true in every business sector and for every client. The rates you pay are a consequence of your merchant processing agreement, but they may have simpler agreements with other (i.e. larger) entities.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by tom911
Mail fraud is handled by the Postal Inspectors. I'd be curious if anyone has spoken with them and if they agree with your allegation of mail fraud.
As someone who is deeply involved in a major federal civil suit against a large corporation where we are making very specific allegations of mail and wire fraud, I can tell you that your statement is wholly and completely incorrect. Please don't post information as fact when it is completely wrong.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
U.S. Postal Inspectors investigate any crime in which the U.S. Mail is used to further a scheme--whether it originated in the mail, by telephone, or on the Internet. The use of the U.S. Mail is what makes it mail fraud.
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/i...MailFraud.aspx
Old May 30, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by virmaior
They charge you different rates, but this does not mean this is true in every business sector and for every client. The rates you pay are a consequence of your merchant processing agreement, but they may have simpler agreements with other (i.e. larger) entities.
That is true, but this is a part of a large prenegotiated group, that takes in hundreds of millions each year. Granted we aren't processing as much as walmart, but it's not small potatoes.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: A few
Yes thanks for posting a link that confirms my point. Maybe you didn't read it? Or if you did, maybe you can point out to the rest of us where this shows you have to go through US Postal Inspectors to make an accusation of mail fraud?

Again just to be clear I am driving a lawsuit where we are spending, ooh, maybe around $1.5m a year in legal fees with a central focus on mail fraud. We did not discuss this case with the US Postal Inspectors. We filed suit in a federal court. So this is a bit closer to home than running around google trying to find pointless links.

It was this exact connection that made me think of the applicability of mail fraud to what Citi is doing here. The difficulty in this case would be demonstrating that Citi devised the scheme to defraud customers, but frankly I could see a reasonable case being made that they made an offer to solicit business using a bogus 5% offer and then purposefully retracted that and confiscated the bait they used. Frankly one could easily weave in wire fraud allegations if some of the solicitation was made by television commercials too.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:47 am

Oh no, I couldn't log into my thank you account today.

Citi told me my thank you account is being under review. Oh no!

I didn't even accrue that many thank you points to be honest. I only have 500 left.

What I think triggered the review was that I redeemed my points for a student loan rebate of $250 last week.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by PointsforHolidayBoy
I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me with my petition to Citi
CITI reads FT
Old May 30, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
CITI reads FT
But I haven't even sent my petition out yet.

And how do they know who I am?

I think it's because I redeemed my student loan rebate last week.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:55 am

Oh no, I couldn't log into my thank you account today.

Citi told me my thank you account is being under review. Oh no!

I didn't even accrue that many thank you points to be honest. I only have 500 left.

What I think triggered the review was that I redeemed my points for a student loan rebate of $250 last week.
But your card account is still open? Sounds like they have two modes of shutdown, (freeze TY, then cards, and close cards first)
Old May 30, 2013, 10:58 am

1) I only have 500 left.

2) What I think triggered the review was that I redeemed my points for a student loan rebate of $250 last week.
NOW they know who you are (if that info is accurate!)
Old May 30, 2013, 11:00 am

The loan checks do seem to be a common theme with the shutdowns.
I'd be interested in the % of the shutdowns that involved student loan / mortgage checks.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:02 am

Re: Thank You

Originally Posted by silver6054
But your card account is still open? Sounds like they have two modes of shutdown, (freeze TY, then cards, and close cards first)
Yes, I could still use my card account. So are you saying that I'm in phase 1?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.