Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007
it is on the basic card ---18 month Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer is not available if you have had a CitiŽ Hilton HHonorsTM Visa SignatureŽ Card account that was opened or closed in the past 18 months

see:
https://www.citicards.com/cards/cred...6289ADADAC7E6A
Well, that might be news...

EDIT: So I called the recon line on the aforementioned app. The agent immediately looked at other accounts and said that I had an open hhonors card (visa signature, same type as this) and that they would want to close that and consolidate CLs. She didn't say anything of a bonus and I didn't have the gall to ask. I went ahead with it because, well, whatever, but this doesn't look very promising...I figure once I get the card I'll call and ask about conditions on the offer.

Last edited by arlflyer; Dec 11, 2014 at 1:54 pm
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
it is on the basic card ---18 month Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer is not available if you have had a CitiŽ Hilton HHonorsTM Visa SignatureŽ Card account that was opened or closed in the past 18 months
Just as with the AA EXEC card, that language is in the official Citi app for this card, but that is not the link in the wiki above.

The wiki link goes to an app that not only does not say that, but also looks very different. I'm assuming arlflyer used the wiki link, and will get the bonus.

Last edited by mia; Dec 12, 2014 at 9:08 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Just as with the AA EXEC card, that language is in the official Citi app for this card, but that is not the link in the wiki above.

The wiki link goes to an app that not only does not say that, but also looks very different. I'm assuming arlflyer used the wiki link, and will get the bonus.

Brugge is correct and I think that link should be removed so nobody uses it by mistake.

I would love to know how old that link is.

Sad thing is this churn will end.....................someday

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yep, done about 10 minutes after my last post. Got the old step 5 thing where they say to call and confirm ASAP.
I had made 15 or so apps for the HH Visa and never saw a message saying I should call

Last edited by mia; Dec 12, 2014 at 9:09 am Reason: Remove link from quotation
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Brugge is correct and I think that link should be removed so nobody uses it by mistake.
Assuming you're referring to the 50K link in the wiki, I'm unclear as to why it needs to be removed or why using it would be a mistake.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Assuming you're referring to the 50K link in the wiki, I'm unclear as to why it needs to be removed or why using it would be a mistake.

Assuming is never a good thing, lol. I meant the link which I quoted for my reply which is below

[Removed link]

This link should go as it may prohibit people who have had the card within the past 18 months from getting the bonus again. The link in the Wiki is fine

Last edited by mia; Dec 12, 2014 at 9:10 am Reason: Removed link
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I believe this poster is referring to the link that was included in a previous post which links to to an app with the big "bonus not available" text. The poster states that it should be removed so that no one accidentally uses it (and thus agrees to forfeit any bonus).

@Brugge - yep, I used the wiki app with no landing page. That's the one I've used for, I think, the past 3 apps of this card for me.

@flyer4512 - weird, I always get a step 3 "application received" and then it lets me click through to a step 5 where it says to call now for immediate decision or gives the open ended option of just waiting.

Last edited by arlflyer; Dec 12, 2014 at 11:11 am Reason: My post referred to a post # that changed due to thread cleanup by mod
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
@flyer4512 - weird, I always get a step 3 "application received" and then it lets me click through to a step 5 where it says to call now for immediate decision or gives the open ended option of just waiting.

Of my 15 or so applications 13 have been instant approval and the latest one did not say Congratulations you are approved , etc but when I got to step 5 it did say

Thank you for choosing Citi and welcome to your new CitiŽ Hilton HHonorsTM Visa SignatureŽ Card!

Since I never called them and they never called me and the info packet showed up yesterday it seems my instant approval was just delayed a minute or so.

Maybe I never noticed the contact us part on my only non instant approval.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:29 pm

All Good in the Neighborhood

Sorry for another post but...just called now and confirmed; new account opened off the wiki link is good for 50k points after $1k spend.

What was strange was that the CSR who approved the account was insistent upon closing my other open card of this type and collapsing the credit onto this new account. It is almost like they knew something...like I wasn't allowed to have more than one of that card type open or something...anyhow, I'll try not to guess at it too much, but anyhow, here's the data point:

4th lifetime account of this card type
1 of these cards currently open at time of app
1 of these cards closed in the last 2 weeks
Applied with link in wiki
Approved with $4k new credit, but CSR insisted upon collapsing with legacy account and merging to new single account w/ $8k CL
Confirmed 50k after $1k spend in 4 months
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge

Based on my experience on the regular AA card, the new looking application format is a BAD NEWS. When I did husband's app using the one with club passes it went to the new looking app page (like the one you saw with HHonors now) and he was instantly denied - the letter for the first time gave the previous card as the official denial reason.

At that time there was a link to app page only that had no club passes and the app page was the old format - I bet the old links if still alive, would behave the way we hope for, the new links would lead to the checking of prior ownership.

Given the 18 months including the "closed" ones, I gather now Citi would see a lot of cancellation on the existing HHonors cards!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Based on my experience on the regular AA card, the new looking application format is a BAD NEWS. When I did husband's app using the one with club passes it went to the new looking app page (like the one you saw with HHonors now) and he was instantly denied - the letter for the first time gave the previous card as the official denial reason.

At that time there was a link to app page only that had no club passes and the app page was the old format - I bet the old links if still alive, would behave the way we hope for, the new links would lead to the checking of prior ownership.
I agree; it looks like the rules are tied to the app page itself, not the product. I guess it all comes down to data structures and where a particular "if/then" statement happens to be coded. I am guessing that as soon as they rediscover these legacy apps still hanging around and shut them down then it will be game over.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:11 pm

40k card on the hilton website also mentions the 18th month rule.

Looks like the beggining of the end...............grab them while you can

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...-cards&afc=14Z

DO NOT USE THE ABOVE LINK TO APPLY AS IT HAS THE 18 MONTH RULE

EDIT. I just grabbed my fiance another 50K via the Wiki............no instant approval but the same message I got ( which was a slightly delayed instant approval) after step 5

Thank you for choosing Citi and welcome to your new CitiŽ Hilton HHonorsTM Visa SignatureŽ Card!

If the Churn is over I may come up about 20K points shy of my next ( and possibly last) AXON 7 award. Besides Hawaiian Airline what points transfer to HH ?

Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 11, 2014 at 9:22 pm
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
40k card on the hilton website also mentions the 18th month rule.

Looks like the beggining of the end...............grab them while you can

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...-cards&afc=14Z

DO NOT USE THE ABOVE LINK TO APPLY AS IT HAS THE 18 MONTH RULE

EDIT. I just grabbed my fiance another 50K via the Wiki............no instant approval but the same message I got ( which was a slightly delayed instant approval) after step 5

If the Churn is over I may come up about 20K points shy of my next ( and possibly last) AXON 7 award. Besides Hawaiian Airline what points transfer to HH ?

Thanks
I think virgin Atlantic still does
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:12 pm

Smile

So-- based on WIKI link---

A) Can we get another card now with the bonus -even though have a few basic Hilton cards still open?

B) Can we still do 2 basic Hilton cards in the 8 day period and get the 2 bonus as in past --if -- use wiki

I know above is unknown -- so looking for input as still have 3 Hilton open and one Reserve that I am still doing spend on the Reserve -65 days have past for me and would like to get 2 more cards

link in Wiki looks like it is on life support -want to say proper good bye
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:17 am

I think virgin Atlantic still does
Yes, that is correct. 1 VS mile to 1.5 hhonors points. Most of the cost-no-object blogger crowd dismisses this option because they are still carrying on about how Hilton "ruined its program" and they just want to be able to go exclusively to the Park Hyatt wherever with their limitless supply of Hyatt points. Good for them. But for those of us who are loyal to Hilton the VS cards are another way to generate points with the Citi and AMEX sources seemingly drying up. I signed up for the 90k VS offer last week and have calculated that I will obtain 132k hhonors points at 0.3 cents/point (that includes opportunity cost against a 2% basis; actual out-of-pocket is about 0.14 cents/point). I always redeem hhonors points for at least 0.5 cents/point so I consider that a good value. Take it or leave it, but it's an option.

So-- based on WIKI link---

A) Can we get another card now with the bonus -even though have a few basic Hilton cards still open?

B) Can we still do 2 basic Hilton cards in the 8 day period and get the 2 bonus as in past --if -- use wiki

I know above is unknown -- so looking for input as still have 3 Hilton open and one Reserve that I am still doing spend on the Reserve -65 days have past for me and would like to get 2 more cards

link in Wiki looks like it is on life support -want to say proper good bye
Will be curious how others go with this as well. Like I mentioned above at the time of my app I only had 1 existing account of this type open, and the agent was insistent upon collapsing it in with the new account. So I am wondering if they are limiting people to one account of this type, or if my agent was just weird. It will be interesting to hear what happens with someone who has multiple account of this type open.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

A score of posts have been removed, as have most (but not all) copies of an undesirable application link.

1. Please do not post unless you have something HELPFUL to contribute to the thread.
  2. In particular, NEVER criticise another member for asking a question, any question, no matter how often or recently it has been asked and answered. If the answer is easily found, post a link directly to it. Otherwise, move on.
  3. Do not challenge another member's reading comprehension.
  4. If a member disregards this guideline and criticizes you for asking, do NOT reply. Click the triangular Alert icon in the lower left corner, state your case, and ignore the snark. We will look at it, and act if appropriate.

If you are bored because there are no new cards or offers, explore some of Flyertalk's other forums.

Last edited by mia; Dec 12, 2014 at 9:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.